Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triple glaze? Yes or no!

• 23-04-2014 8:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭

Have been quoted €6900 for triple, €6,500 for double.

I am a complete novice but I'm assuming with such a small price difference to go for triple?

Was talking to a builder recently and he said in years to come, triple will be the norm and basic standard.

My in-laws in Europe have quadruple!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

Have been quoted €6900 for triple, €6,500 for double.

I am a complete novice but I'm assuming with such a small price difference to go for triple?

Was talking to a builder recently and he said in years to come, triple will be the norm and basic standard.

My in-laws in Europe have quadruple!

Some of the better double glazing available is as good as the poorer triple glazing. Have they given you u values or any other specs for the options?
    At that price difference, I'd go with the triple as long as the specs are decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Roisinbunny

Well as per the quote there is:

28mm double glazed Low-E argon filled glass units when combined with our “A” rated frame results in a U-Value of 1.38W/m2.k
     36mm triple glazed Low-E argon filled glass units when combined with our “A” rated frame results in a U-Value of 1.03W/m2.k

It seems like a nominal difference, the slight lack of light in a triple wouldn't be a huge factor either as this is Ireland:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Rabbo

I'd go with the triple in that case. The u value difference mightnt look like much but it all adds up. Youll also have the benefit of better sound insulation

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭JD6910

no brainer to go with triple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

I have heard previously that some suppliers of triple glazed windows do not provide strong enough hinges on the opening sections to account for the extra weight. Thus resulting in problems with the opening sections after a few years.*

It might be worth asking the supplier about this.

*N.B.: This is something I have heard. I have not personally seen it so I cannot attest to its accuracy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭fclauson

remember its the fitting which is more important than the window - could be a 0.000001 Uvalue window but badly fitted makes it useless

make sure you have detailed drawings on how its going to be fitted and how your insulation will ensure a continuous insulation layer with no cold bridges

Advertisement