Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apartment Renovation

Options
  • 08-04-2014 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,
    I'm currently in the 'thinking' process of extending my kitchen into my sitting room to make a large kitchen/diner/living room.

I live in a 3 bed apartment. When I first purchased I loved having the kitchen separate but it's a very unsocial space as the kitchen is a corridor away from living area (which is quite large) and there is no room in the kitchen for more than one person at a time.

To make the changes and open up the space it means knocking down two walls and removing a corridor to a bedroom. This means I will have to move the bedroom door to the living room.

A few questions:
    Are there any fire regulation implications in doing this? I will obviously have an architects input prior to doing anything.

Would having bedroom door off the living room put off potential buyers in the future?

I'm working on the assumption that I'm allowed to do any internal works to the apartment that I own so long as they are not structural. Is this correct? Not sure who to contact to ensure I'm not breaching any building conditions, I guess the management company would be the best first port of call?

Any advice is very welcome or if anyone has done something similar in an apartment I'd love to hear your story.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

i was involved in a project like this before when based in a Consulting Engineering Firm.

We had to provide drawings and certs to the management company that what we were doing did not affect the structure of the building and that any changes we made upheld the buildings Fire Rating.

we didnt remove any walls, just inserted large portions of glass block etc

In your case, i have a feeling you will not be able to remove any walls as it will directly effect your Fire Safety Certificate.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

kceire wrote: »
    In your case, i have a feeling you will not be able to remove any walls as it will directly effect your Fire Safety Certificate.

Yes...a fire safety certificate application may be required.

And, I would suggest, having a Bedroom off the Living Room would be a no no (inner room situation).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

This post has been deleted.

Because it is not a 'habitable' room.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Roo0

Thanks all for your input. Disappointing to hear but I did think the door could be a problem.

I assume an architect will be able to give me proper guidance on the regulations? I may also touch base with my management company.

Looks like it could just be a kitchen refurb rather than my grand plan.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

can you arrange the layout so that the bedroom doesnt open into this open plan space?

I don't think so. I Could swap the kitchen with the bedroom but as there is no window (other than glass brick window into corridor) and I assume you can't have a bedroom without a window? This would also be a bigger job as services have to be moved.

I wish I had plans to show you all to make more sense of it. I'll try and dig some out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you post a floor plan?

Just a quick update for all who kindly responded to my original query.

I have discussed the proposed changes with my management company. They are happy with me proceeding so long as I only do the work within set hours and they get a letter from a certified engineer/architect stating that the changes do not effect the structure of the property.

For the fire regs, I found the details on the environ website about 'room within a room' scenario. That states the dimensions a window has to be to be deemed an adequate means of escape. My window fits comfortably within these dimensions. I'll post the link if anyone is interested.

So its full steam ahead now! Thanks for all your responses.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Roo0 wrote: »
    Just a quick update for all who kindly responded to my original query.

I have discussed the proposed changes with my management company. They are happy with me proceeding so long as I only do the work within set hours and they get a letter from a certified engineer/architect stating that the changes do not effect the structure of the property.

For the fire regs, I found the details on the environ website about 'room within a room' scenario. That states the dimensions a window has to be to be deemed an adequate means of escape. My window fits comfortably within these dimensions. I'll post the link if anyone is interested.

So its full steam ahead now! Thanks for all your responses.

thats not good enough

you need talk to your local authority fire officer and get him to confirm if the works proposed constitute a contravention of the existing fire safety certificate or not.
    Without this, the works are illegal.

• Advertisement

Sorry should have added that I will be discussing with fire officer prior to starting but I'm happy that there shouldn't be any issue.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

sydthebeat wrote: »
    confirm if the works proposed constitute a contravention of the existing fire safety certificate or not.
    Without this, the works are illegal.
    and have the above confirmation included in the scope of the certifying architects compliance letter

Sorry should have added that I will be discussing with fire officer prior to starting but I'm happy that there shouldn't be any issue.

I'd be surprised if there was no issue...sorry to rain on your parade...but, as you suggest, talk to the fire officer and let us know.

Bummer! Architect is coming this weekend so he should be able to advise me.

I also just noticed that the fire cert application process takes 2 months. Is it possible to call and speak to someone or do you have to go down the formal route of the written application first?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Bummer! Architect is coming this weekend so he should be able to advise me.

I also just noticed that the fire cert application process takes 2 months. Is it possible to call and speak to someone or do you have to go down the formal route of the written application first?
    get a copy of the current granted fire cert and give it to your architect. don't dwell on it further until architect has had a chance to review your intended alterations and consider fire cert implications

Advertisement