Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a 'Mi-Fi' hub with good range, speed.

Options
  • 23-04-2014 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭

Long story short, big house has been pretty much abandoned since the bubble burst.
    Someone is now renting it cheap, but has to do it all up bit by bit. He is now looking for Broadband, but none of the providers go that far out of the way.

So it looks like a Mi-Fi hub would be the best solution. Has anyone any better solutions, or can anyone recommend a good hub?

The house is 5000 square foot, a lot of it will be vacant, but the bedrooms are at the back, and the TV/Kitchen area are in the front, so it needs to cover as much as possible. Also, three storey house.

Two of these? Or similar? - If possible one would be best.

Cheap as possible is preferred he says, as he will be (imo, stupidly) putting a fair bit of cash into the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If he needs to cover a big area then skip the mifi. Get a 3G USB Dongle and a router that supports it. Then two supporting access points and a few lengths of cat5 cabling or some homeplugs.

That or go fixed wireless if its available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

ED E wrote: »
    If he needs to cover a big area then skip the mifi. Get a 3G USB Dongle and a router that supports it. Then two supporting access points and a few lengths of cat5 cabling or some homeplugs.

That or go fixed wireless if its available there.

Sounds like the best. Fixed Wireless is not an option.

I have done a fair bit for this guy, it's very close to taking the p*ss (Some say he already is.).

I may suggest that to him, and tell him it's not hard... I just don't fancy doing any much more... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭same ol sh1te

5000 square foot and 3 story is a serious area to expect to cover, not going to be possible without some careful planning and proper investment

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

5000 square foot and 3 story is a serious area to expect to cover, not going to be possible without some careful planning and proper investment

Yeah, I figured as much. Queried a couple of options. I'll probably go down the route ED E suggested.

I will leave it to him to decide on homeplugs or cable, and he can do that himself.

Advertisement