Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Boards Mock Draft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

With the 31st pick of the 2014 AF mock draft the Denver Broncos Select

Denver_Broncos_helmet_rightface.png

10389815-large.jpg

Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

With the 32nd pick of the 2014 Boards Mock draft the Seattle Seahawks select

Allen Robinson - WR - 6ft 3 - 220lbs.

Robinson is one of the most polished NFL ready receivers in the draft. He is an excellent route runner and has great hands. He has great vertical leaping ability so should be an excellent red-zone target as well as a very reliable possession receiver.

The biggest knock is that he does not possess top end speed or acceleration. He may not have as high an upside as some of the other receivers left but he is a near lock to be an incredibly productive player for years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

With 1st pick of the second round of AF forum mock draft 2014 the Houston Texans select

Cyrus Kouandjio, Offensive Tackle, Alabama.

Kouandjio.jpg

Houston got their franchise QB in round 1, now it's time to get him some protection. They are set at Left Tackle with Duane Brown but Right Tackle is now Cyrus Kouandjio's to lose. He'll be just gone 21 when the season starts, the upside is enormous. He could end up on the Left side when Brown is done.

Innish_rebel is up next for the Redskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Innish_Rebel

With the 2nd pick of the 2nd Round the Washington Redskins Select:
    Washington-Redskins.jpg

Morgan Moses OT Virginia.

Morgan+Moses.jpg

Oh the joys of the draft - I had my pick laid out and ready to hit send while away only for Chris Kouandjio to be taken 1 pick prior!!! Hence the delay in posting. My two other flagged players were also taken earlier - but redskins have done some positives on the secondary defense so I decided to focus on the trenches...

POSITIVES:
    Ideal length and proportion throughout for an NFL offensive tackle. Does a good job of exhibiting patience off the snap as he routinely establishes width and good bend in his base to either absorb or mirror his opponent in pass protection. Makes good use of his long arms by extending and punching to keep defenders off his frame. Displays a fluid, consistent kick-slide when asked to track and dictate a speed rusher around the edge.

NEGATIVES: Lacks the ability to stop and start with suddenness or redirect in a short area. Struggles to get low and snap into smaller opponents at the second level, and will over-pursue as a run-blocker. Isn't always decisive in space and lacks commitment at times as a lead blocker on outside runs.

Collapses at the elbow or will simply drop his head and ram his target when on the run, leaving him susceptible to whiffing or losing his balance and toppling forward. Has struggled with weight fluctuations throughout his career.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

With the 3rd pick in the 2nd Round : The Browns select :

ClevelandBrownsLogo.jpg

Auburn's Tre Mason RB (@ 5'8 207)
    STRENGTHS Low center of gravity and pad level. Quick out of the blocks. Good vision to pick and slide. Can jump-cut abruptly and change the angle of pursuit. Darts through holes -- excellent stop-and-start quickness. Spins off contact. Forward lean. Runs bigger than his size and finishes runs. Flashes good hands and creativity as a short receiver in limited exposure. Trustworthy in pass protection -- faces up rushers. Has kickoff-return experience and has shown he can take it the distance. Proved capable of handling a heavy workload and played big in big games against top competition.

I didn't see alot of College football, but this guy caught my attention, I really like how he runs and finds holes, or spins away from defenders. He surveys the field well and makes good decisions for big gains.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭TO.

With the 4th(36th) pick in Round 2 the Oakland Raiders Select:

oakland-raiders-wallpaper__400x320.jpg

Ra'Shede Hageman
    hagemanUSAT.jpg

Raiders could do with another DT to add to the mix. Jernigan would have been a better fit but he went to the Cowboys early in round 1 which surprises me.

Falcons and HigginsJ on the clock:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

With the 5th pick of the 2nd round (37th overall):

40564a.jpg

The Atlanta Falcons select:

Marcus Roberson, CB out of Florida

ncf_u_marcus-roberson_mb_400x600.jpg

The Falcons are looking for a lot of support on the defensive side. Theyve already gotten help in the rush with Khalil Mack in the first round. And after releasing Asante Samuel in the offseason, they go corner and select Marcus Roberson.

Decent size at 6-0 and 191 lbs, hes got good athleticism and good range. He's a powerful corner and will really add a level of security to the Falcons backfield.

Chucky up next with the Bucs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

With the 6th pick of the second round the Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

Gabe Jackson, OG, Mississippi State

UZWWHUIPOKLVBTV.20130923154429.jpg

It fills a need for the Bucs (they have a lot of them) and he'll go in a be a day 1 starter for them which will help. He's a great run blocker, very strong and aggressive. I think he'll be a very good player in the NFL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Barney92

With the 7th pick of the second round the Jacksonville Jaguars select:

Joel Bitonio, OG/OT, Nevada

I was tempted to go for a quarterback here, but I'm not sure it would really help there team much. Bitonio could come in and play opposite Joeckel or play in either of the guard slots. He also played every game the last 3 years so does not have major injury worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

With the 8th pick of the second round the Minnesota Vikings select Kyle Van Noy, OLB, Brigham Young.

While i was tempted to address the secondary, this draft is deep in the corner and safety areas and so will address those areas in later rounds. Pairing Van Noy with Chad Greenway would give the Vikings two versatile and instinctive linebackers on the perimeter. Very appealing player as he can both rush the passer effectively as well as having the ability to drop into coverage, this pick is sure to be a steal for the Vikings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

With the 40th pick of the nfl draft, the Buffalo Bills select Troy Niklas, TE out of Notre Dam. On mobile so I'll add an explanation and pics later.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭Blured

With the 10th Pick of the second round, the Tennessee Titans Select:

Carlos Hyde, RB, Ohio State

7971002.jpg

After helping their defence in Round 1, the Titans give their offence a weapon in Round 2. With CJ2K being cut this offseason, running back becomes a big need for the Titans. Shonn Greene has shown flashes but has been unable to stay healthy enough to be a true No.1 RB and while free agency signing Dexter McClusker is being considered soley an RB in Tennessee I do not see him as the bell cow back in this offense.

Hyde rushed for 1,521 yards in his senior season, despite missing the first three games through suspension. He had 9 straight 100+ games and was an effective goal line back as well, chipping in 15 TDs as well as 16 in his junior season. While not an out and out speed back, Hyde is more of a power runner who will not hesitate behind the line of scrimmage (which should be a welcome sight to Titans fans after the last couple of seasons with CJ2K).

I believe he is the best back in this class and would compare him favourably to Eddie Lacy. If he can get close to Lacy's production in his first season the Titans will be very happy.

Next on the clock is Phatkev and the New York Fighting Giants.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

With the 43 pick in the AF Boards Mock Draft the Giants select

OG- David Yankey- Stanford
    Screenshot2014-04-17at161634.png

After much consideration i decided to go with the o-line here even though the d-line, TE and WR spots could do with improvements. But at the end of the day if the Giants can protect Eli(instead of him running for his life) they increase their chances of winning massively.

The Giants have a handful of questions that have made settling the offensive line far from being done. Will Chris Snee be up to speed after coming off both hip and elbow injures, Will Beatty is recovering from a broken leg suffered at the end of last season, will he be ready?? Do the Giants have enough quality depth at tackle? Guard?

With Yankey the Giants are adding an offensive lineman who can play multiple positions which i feel the Giants need. In the 2013 season Yankey played LG after spending time at LT and RG in previous seasons, he played extremely well on the inside, opening up holes in the ground game and doing a superb job in pass protection.

Up next is malistheman with the Rams pick

With the 44th pick in the Boards Mock Draft the St. Louis Rams select

Derek Carr - QB - Fresno State - 6ft 3 - 220lbs

With the top guards snapped up in the last few picks this selection quite easily could have been a WR like Jordan Matthews but at this juncture it was just too much to pass on Carr.

Sam Bradford has franchise QB ability but having a young insurance policy because of his injury history & sketchy play (prior to the start of last year) would be no harm. I would expect Carr to be gone at this point IRL

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

With the 45th pick in the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the Detroit Lions select

Jordan Matthews - WR - Vanderbilt

7727612.jpg

After the Lions addressed the secondary in round one I feel WR is the way to go in round two and to offer some support to Megatron.

Matthews has the size and speed combination that teams love at the position, he can play inside or out, he's a strong route runner and he's not afraid to go over the middle either. There's concerns about his straight line speed being good enough to get separation, but I'm going to take a chance on him here.

He'll never be a #1 receiver in the league, but he will never be expected to be with Megatron there. At the Lions, Matthews will have the platform to become be a strong #2 receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

With the 46th pick in the 2014 Boards Mock Draft, the Pittsburgh Steelers select

Lamarcus Joyner - Cornerback - Florida State

Horizontal_1374961396.jpg

For the Steelers I was looking at the positions of WR, ILB and CB mainly for this pick and Joyner was the one that stood out to me. He is a big playmaker (something the Steelers defence of old has always had) and an excellent corner at blitzing the QB which would suit the Steelers scheme. Downside is that he's a bit undersized at 5'8 but he doesn't seem to play to his size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

With the 47th Pick the Dallas Cowboys select Dee Ford - DE- Auburn.

Dee-Ford-448x301.jpg

Think this pick fits with the Cowboys, they have lost Ware in the offseason and Ford would be good value as some expect he could well be reached for in the first round. Boys need lots of help on Defence so would take Ford if he is still on the board at this pick. Safety still needs to be addressed but give Ford a year and although he may move from DE to OLB he should be a quality player for the Boys.

With the 48th pick of the Boards Mock draft the Ravens select

Jimmie Ward - Safety - Northern Illinois - 5ft11 - 193lbs

The Ravens need a starter across from Matt Elam. Darian Stewart is not the answer. Ward is the 3rd rated safety in the draft and offers good value here. He is very strong in coverage.

My 2nd choice would have been Jack Mewhort, a mauling OT from Ohio State but he might still be there in the 3rd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

With the 49th pick in the NFL draft the NEW YORK JETS select
    Phillip Gaines CB Rice

Rice's Phillip Gaines has the physical tools you want in a cornerback. He's tall and long at 6'0" and has the speed to turn and run with any wide receiver in the NFL. He's able to press and play up on receivers at the line of scrimmage but does lack strength to be a great jammer early on. You have to like his ability to bait quarterbacks and then attack with his blazing speed. He's a gambler at times, but often that pays off with an interception or defended pass. He dominated weaker competition at Rice but must get better at timing his turns and getting through transitions to have the same impact in the NFL

A 4.38 in the 40-yard dash is a dang good time for the long, linear Gaines. His speed shows up on film too, as he's rangy and attacking in coverage.

Gaines doesn't have the strength to be great against the run, but he does show active effort and willingness to make a play on the ball. He will have to get stronger and learn to use his strength once in the NFL to play the run.

Gaines has unbelievable talent and raw ability, but he's been suspended and arrested once in his college career. To realize his potential, he'll have to walk the line with NFL teams.

Gaines has starter traits, and with some development and coaching, he has the size and speed to be an effective cover cornerback on the edge. He's a solid second-round prospect.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

With the 50th pick of the Boards Mock NFL Draft. The Miami Dolphins select, Martavis Bryant, WR, Clemson.

A horrible start to the 2nd round for Miami, watching Kouandjio, Moses, Hageman, Jackson, Bitonio and Ward all coming off the board, I think a gamble pick could be used on another need they have at WR.

As a result, I've taken a gamble on Bryant (6-4, 211lbs)

A tall above average speed wideout who has been compared to Stephen Hill at the Jets, Bryant had a good Junior season opposite Sammy Watkins.

(As I'm on my phone I can't add picks so I've just copied part of his scouting report below)
    Bryant caught nine passes for 221 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman in 2011, adding two kickoff returns for 45 yards while seeing action in 14 games - two starts.

He really emerged as a downfield threat as a sophomore, averaging 30.5 yards on 10 receptions - four of which went for touchdowns. Bryant also had 10 kickoff returns while seeing action on 245 snaps in 10 games. His average per catch led the nation among receivers with double-digit catches.

Bryant, 6-4, 200 pounds, caught 42 passes for 828 yards and seven touchdowns in 2013, averaging 19.7 yards per reception. Two of his three catches in the Orange Bowl victory over Ohio State went for touchdowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭SimmerDean

With the 51st pick of the Boards Mock NFL Draft. The Chicago Bears select, Deone Bucannon, S, Washington State.

(Will add more later)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Heffo001

Arizona Cardinals select:

Jace Amaro - Tight End - Texas Tech

The Cardinals could do with an update at that position and Amaro is good value at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

With the 53rd pick in the 2014 NFL Draft,
    the Green Bay Packers select,

austinseferianjenkins.jpg

Austin Seferian Jenkins TE Washington Huskies

A massively talented TE with great receiving ability and also a good blocker. There are some question marks that come about how hard he works and there are some minor character concerns but he is extremely gifted and in the right system he will work out well I think. A great big target for Aaron Rodgers and I think with Amaro and Niklas already gone that the Packers have to go TE here. This video shows how devastating he can be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPZ5ZDWEADo

The Philadelphia Eagles(franglan) are on the clock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

With the 54th pick of the boards.ie NFL 2014 Draft, the Philadelphia Eagles select...

Davante Adams, WR, Fresno State

web1_MCC-DAVANTE-ADAMS_0.jpg

I think Davante Adams is a solid pick at 54 for the Eagles as it adds another option for Nick Foles and Chip Kelly’s offensive. With the loss of DeSean Jackson in the offseason to a division rival for me the need to add some target is one of the biggest needs for Philly hence the pick. Maclin is coming off an ACL injury and it’s difficult to know how he’ll come back from that. I didn’t see value in the first round for the Eagles as Watkins, Evans, Cooks and Beckham Jr. were off the board. Only delighted to avoid Benjamin and take Adams at this point for the following reasons:

Great catcher of the ball has done really well the past two years with jump balls with spectacular one handed catches. Demonstrates good leaping ability, timing and hand-eye coordination. Along with these traits he attacks the football. Good route runner with solid footwork. Can beat press coverage off the line and can run a slant route as well as anybody in this draft. Production stats are fairly amazing at 233/3,030/38 in only two years. 131 receptions and 24 touchdowns to lead the nation in 2013.

And the negatives:

Question marks hang over him and his team mate Derek Carr for two similar reasons. Both played at Fresno State where you are up against Idaho, Wyoming and New Mexico not exactly football powerhouses. Both also played in a pass happy offense which arguably inflates their stats. Adams does not possess elite speed and can struggle to find separation downfield.

To summarise he’s only played two years of college football and has loads of upside. His numbers are phenomenal and I think he’ll fit right in with Macklin and Cooper and the Eagles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

With the 55th pick in the NFL Draft the Cincinnati Bengals select.......
    cincinnati_bengals_logo_3991.png
    Marcus Martin, Center, USC Trojans
    ncf_u_marcusmartin_ms_600.jpg

The Bengals will focus more on the run game this year (AFC North football! :cool: ). The Bengals went pass heavy in the playoffs last year and it did not work, time to ease back on Andy Dalton's workload.

The Bengals took a cornerback in round one and now we help the run and also the pass game by taking a center. Kyle Cook last years starter was released last month.

Martin will have Zeitler at guard beside him and along with Andre Smith at right tackle we have the making of a good young line. Andrew Whitworth has played left tackle and left guard and will help the development of this young player.

Martin won two high school football championships and became a starter at left guard at USC in his freshman year. Moved to center in 2012 and 2013 and this is where he play in Cincinnati. He was a team captain so has leadership skills. I believe his size and ability will help the run game in Cincinnati immensly
    Dohnny Jeep is on the clock.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

san-francisco-49ers-logo-300x177.png

With the 56th pick in the NFL Draft the San Francisco 49ers select

KELVIN BENJAMIN, WR, FLORIDA ST

SPORTS_FBC-MARYLAND-FSU_13_OS_t607.JPG

The 49ers have a very talented roster, and a lot of draft picks to make it even better, after addressing concerns about our secondary with the first pick, that leaves us with Wide Receiver as our biggest need, both the offensive and defensive line need more depth but that can be addressed in round 3.

Kelvin Benjamin is a big bodied tough Wide Receiver. What he lacks in speed he more than makes up for in size, power and toughness. Benjamin played through a partially torn knee ligament as a junior in 2009. I think Benjamin will initially excel as a red zone target and will develop into Kaepernick's go-to-receiver.

Benjamin's strengths lie within using his big frame to its fullest, he has a talent for catching the ball at its highest point, using his body to shield off defenders well and more than likely will win any contested catches. For his lack of speed Benjamin is very good with the ball in his hands and will get some yards after the catch. Most importantly though, Benjamin is clutch. Not only did he catch the game winning TD against Auburn with 14 seconds on the clock, he is often targeted at crucial moments in the game.

However, there are some weaknesses to Benjamin's game. Most notable is lack of speed, although I compliment him on his winning of contested balls, it is his lack of speed that puts in a situation in which he is involved in more contested catches. Benjamin ranked near the bottom of all speed drills in the combine, this was not unexpected and can be worked on by the 49ers coaches. Dropping 10 to 15 pounds might give him an extra step. His route running skills are at best unpolished, but again it's something he can improve.

In short Benjamin has all the physical aspects and instincts that can't be taught, and the technical aspects he lacks in his game can be worked on in training camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

200px-San_Diego_Chargers_logo.svg.png

With the 57th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft, the San Diego Chargers select
    NUHZx07.jpg
    Dominique Easley, DT, Florida

yXFDY4q.png?1
    I am both delighted and annoyed that Easley was available for this pick. The latter, because I didn't want to be the one to have to weigh up whether he was worth the risk or not - I hoped someone would take that decision away from me. An ACL tear in each knee before graduating is without doubt a concern. But of the remaining players, I didn't see any safe pick in a position of need for the Chargers. And I also didn't see Easley being available in Round 3.

As for why I'm delighted, well if it weren't for the injuries mentioned above, then Aaron Donald/Khalil Mack et al. could forget about being the 2nd defensive player drafted. When you have a big guy being discussed as a first round talent despite 2 ACL injuries, you know you've got a rare prospect. Easley was a monster at the start of the season. Again, I hate spouting out spiel about stance and hands and other bollox like that because they don't impress me. Not dismissing their importance, but I'm never going to say "wow, look at that hand placement..." or "Damn, rewind that play - I wanna see that sick low stance again." I know they're important, but I like praising what really stands out.

And what stands out for Easley is that it's a miracle he's not called offside every play. He just gets off the line of scrimmage so, so quickly. People say this is Clowney's greatest asset, well just take a look at Easley's tape because it's crazy how good he is at it as well. It allows him to pretty much live in the opponents backfield. He's just crazy active aswell when he's bullrushing, he seriously looks like someone who would annoy the hell out of you having to play against. He's like a whirlwind.

These were 3 of the first 4 plays for Florida vs Toledo this year that show Easley's dominance.

Dom_medium.gif

Dom1_medium.gif

Dom2_medium.gif

Now I know Chargers fans might raise their eyebrows at a 290lbs DT when they need a prototypical NT. But what smart franchises love aside from value (like the Chargers got with Keenan Allen, and what they would be getting with Easley in the 2nd) is versatility. And Easley certainly has that, having played all across the line in a 4-3 in his junior year, and all across the line in a 3-4 last year. I'd be delighted if the Pats took Easley in the 1st, let alone the 2nd. So to be able to pick him for the Chargers here is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

With the 58th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the New Orleans Saints select:

Demarcus Lawrence, DE, Boise State

(In France on ****ty WiFi mourning Munsters loss in the Rugby and Liverpool's in the Soccer. Will do a proper write up tomorrow evening when I sober up)

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SameOleJay

With the 59th pick of the 2014 NFL Draft the Indianapolis Colts select….

Terrence Brooks, the Florida State safety.

Combine Weigh-In
    Height Weight Arm Hand
    5'10.875" 198 lbs 31" 9"

Combine Results
    40-yard dash 10-yard split Vert Broad 3-Cone Shuttle
    4.41 N/A 38" 9' 9" 7.35 DNP

I identified safety as the Colts’ greatest need long before the process started. I had dreamed of Ward, hope of Bucannon but in the end am more than happy with Brooks and feel his skillset would benefit The AFC contenders greatly.

A former corner, Brooks is a great reader of the game and is noticably strong in recognising routes. Capable of covering Tight-Ends in zone, Brooks’ ability in the backfield allowed Florida State to play more aggressive fronts. All in all he was a key contributor in a very strong D.

Collegiate Statistics
    Year Team Tackles PD INT
    2010 Florida State 2 1 0
    2011 Florida State 17 6 1
    2012 Florida State 51 6 2
    2013 Florida State 56 5 2

The glaring weakness are his hands. Having positioned himself brilliantly on several occasions Brooks let picks slip with poor handling. He doesn’t have top end speed either.

All in all very happy with this pick and now Silver-Tiger is on the clock for the Panthers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Silver-Tiger

346.gif

With the 60th pick in the 2014 NFL Draft. The Carolina Panthers select

CYRIL RICHARDSON OG BAYLOR

cyril.jpg

A 6-5, 335-pound mauler, Richardson has may traits you want out of a potential NFL guard; He's versatile, massive, powerful, and experienced, traits that are valued by NFL coaching staffs.

We paid Cam Newton for 2015 so we better keep him upright. I feel he is the best guard available @ pick #60.

Advertisement