Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which do I need Archtecit, Structural Engineer or Surveyor

Options
  • 22-04-2014 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭

Roof recently started leaking after an engineer called to realign satellite dish but walked up V/gully of the roof to the dish, unsettling mortar and tile, pushing the tile down out of line with others. no roof ladder was used. I contacted company involved as water was leaking into bedroom who called out a roofer they use for repair not a contractor (he again didn't use a roof ladder).

He resolved the issue by piling on a tube of sealant over the tile As these particular type of tiles are no longer manufactured and said there was no more he could do.

I would just like to have a professional have a look at the roof on my behalf as this may end up being a costly job in time if the integrity of the roof is affected. So which, if any, of the above is more suitable to carry out an inspection.

Thanks in advance. Amber

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

You need a competent roofer tbh. A building surveyor would be the next down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭amber2

You need a competent roofer tbh. A building surveyor would be the next down the line.

But if the integrity of the roof has been affected it's not me who will be paying. So I'm thinking for the moment I need someone who can give me an assessment of the damage, if any, and to what extent had been done. I'm assuming if I just get a quote from a contractor of my choice the company involved will just think I'm trying it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

amber2 wrote: »
    But if the integrity of the roof has been affected it's not me who will be paying. So I'm thinking for the moment I need someone who can give me an assessment of the damage, if any, and to what extent had been done. I'm assuming if I just get a quote from a contractor of my choice the company involved will just think I'm trying it on.

A building surveyor will assess the damage and suggest repair if required.

The repair already carried out doesn't sound like it was a great one tbh and will probably require further attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭amber2

A building surveyor will assess the damage and suggest repair if required.

The repair already carried out doesn't sound like it was a great one tbh and will probably require further attention.

Thank you very much for your advice I've contacted the satellite company just to say that I wasn't happy with the repairs carried out as I felt it was only a temporary fix which is getting them out of trouble for now, but may result in me picking up the tab down the line when the sealer errodes from weathering. I was told a regional manager would ring me back on two occasions but he hasn't, so for now I feel I have to take it a step further just in case.

Advertisement