Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking to buy ~42inch Smart TV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,881 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Can anyone tell me, for the TV below, does the fact is says 'Saorview & Satellite' under 'Satellite Tuner' mean I won't need to use my combi box with this tv? Or do I still need to use it? Thanks... some TVs say 'Saorview Approved' here and others say 'Saorview and Satellite'.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42W829B&pages=1&prod=42W829B&brands=sony&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭AndersKP

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me, for the TV below, does the fact is says 'Saorview & Satellite' under 'Satellite Tuner' mean I won't need to use my combi box with this tv? Or do I still need to use it? Thanks... some TVs say 'Saorview Approved' here and others say 'Saorview and Satellite'.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42W829B&pages=1&prod=42W829B&brands=sony&image=

Hi

We are all spoiled for choice with so many great brands and TVs.

Some TVs nowadays have two tuners, one satellite and one terrestrial. This means that if you are happy to watch the free channels you can ditch your satellite box and wire straight into the TV (one less remote !!!)

As far as models are concerned I'm a bit biased and would go for a Panasonic every time.

If you get the opportunity to visit a multi brand store you will see straightway the picture quality and general build stands out from the crowd. They aren't always the most en vogue brand (Samsung, LG) but always seem to win the most awards and churn out high quality teles year in, year out.

Their new range is just realised so you could have a look at those or maybe pick up a bargain on the 2013 range, most seem to come with a free 5year warranty as well which tells you all you need to know about them.

You could always check out the Richersounds thread on here or pop into a local store to see for yourself.

Cheers

AndersKP wrote: »
    Hi

We are all spoiled for choice with so many great brands and TVs.

Some TVs nowadays have two tuners, one satellite and one terrestrial. This means that if you are happy to watch the free channels you can ditch your satellite box and wire straight into the TV (one less remote !!!)

As far as models are concerned I'm a bit biased and would go for a Panasonic every time.

If you get the opportunity to visit a multi brand store you will see straightway the picture quality and general build stands out from the crowd. They aren't always the most en vogue brand (Samsung, LG) but always seem to win the most awards and churn out high quality teles year in, year out.

Their new range is just realised so you could have a look at those or maybe pick up a bargain on the 2013 range, most seem to come with a free 5year warranty as well which tells you all you need to know about them.

You could always check out the Richersounds thread on here or pop into a local store to see for yourself.

Cheers

Anders, thanks so much for that. I actually had no idea you could get a TV which didn't need a Combi box to geet the freeview channels... thanks again, I'm off to look at TVs now - all this work waiting for me can wait :D

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Anders, thanks so much for that. I actually had no idea you could get a TV which didn't need a Combi box to geet the freeview channels... thanks again, I'm off to look at TVs now - all this work waiting for me can wait :D

Woop woop!! :)

Can anyone tell me if this TV, like the one I mentioned above, needs a combi box to view saorview/freesat etc??

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/product.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6&sub=155&productid=1330

• Advertisement

Hi,

The E6 has a terrestrial tuner (FreeviewHD/Saorview) but you would need a separate box to receive satellite.

In the 2014 range a TXL42AS740 would have both (and other improvements) but would be significantly more expensive than buying an E6 and a Humax sat box.

That model at Richersounds is mega value ATM when you consider the 5yr warranty too.

AndersKP wrote: »
    Hi,

The E6 has a terrestrial tuner (FreeviewHD/Saorview) but you would need a separate box to receive satellite.

In the 2014 range a TXL42AS740 would have both (and other improvements) but would be significantly more expensive than buying an E6 and a Humax sat box.

That model at Richersounds is mega value ATM when you consider the 5yr warranty too.

Anders, can you recommend me two smart TVs (one 39-42" and one 21-23") that are non-3D; and have built-in tuners that will mean I don't need to use a combi box? Online or high street (Dublin), either is fine... not necessarily looking for the cheapest, just the best value.

Many thanks

Sure, no probs.

I had a quick nosey online and found some crazy end of line prices.

TXL42FT60 £699 inc 5YG Two tuners (1sat and 1terrestrial) 1600HZ for super quick motion, dual core processing for quick app loading

http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/panasonic/viera-txl42ft60b/pana-txl42ft60b

TXL42DT65 - £699 inc 5YG - Four tuners (2sat and 2terrestrial)
    This is actually the model above the FT and has four tuners for multi viewing. You can watch RTE1 on the TV and use another tuner to watch RTe2 on an iPad via a network. You could even add a £50 USB HDD and use it as a fully blown recorder.

I've been following end of line prices for a few months and these both stand out by a mile. I'd assume you would need to act quick though.

Ps these are both 3D but you can expect it to come as a standard feature on any set now. Kind of like cruise control on a good motor.

--

24" I'm not too familiar with. There is a lovely little 24" Pana that has just come out but it's pricey enough.

I'd ask Richer on here for there input, as far as I know they deliver to Dublin or if you need to nip up the M1 to save a few hundred quid it might be worth it.

Hope this helps, let me know how you get on

I forgot to say the DT65 also has local dimming which means the TV can individually control sections of the backlight. This helps massively with black level and overall picture quality.

Cheers!

Advertisement