Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bmw 3 series M sport 2.0 petrol?

• 17-01-2014 7:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hows it going I am going to look at a Bmw 3 series saloon M sport petrol tomorrow, I wouldnt know anything these type of cars. Do they give many problems or are they bulletproof as they say ?..If anyone has any info about the engine on these cars would be a big help cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

From memory, the 2.0 petrol is one to avoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭jayunot777

Anan1 wrote: »
    From memory, the 2.0 petrol is one to avoid.
    this is not a good start ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

Its a waste of time asking questions like that here, you will hear from the 5 people who have had problems with there car, you will never hear from the thousands who had no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Without knowing what year the car is then it's hard to give advice.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Get the 335i not the 320i. You will thank yourself later

• Advertisement

Sorry its 2006.. i wouldnt be able to afford the tax on one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

Can you give a bit more detail? Saloon or coupe? 318i or 320i?i think both are 2.0 but the 318 is lower bhp?

MarcusP12 wrote: »
    Can you give a bit more detail? Saloon or coupe? 318i or 320i?i think both are 2.0 but the 318 is lower bhp?

Saloon m sport 2 litre.. wouldnt know the bhp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

jayunot777 wrote: »
    Sorry its 2006.. i wouldnt be able to afford the tax on one of them

Then you'll be fine, the ones built after September 2007 are the ones to avoid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

since 2007 my mrs has had a 320i msport touring titanium silver, build date april 07 as it is a 150bhp. has been faultless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭MarcusP12

I had a 318i m sport saloon, 06, for 4 years before I traded it in for a 523i non m sport....have to say it was a lovely car to drive, very sharp!i remember I tested a Lexus is220d right before it on the same day and there was no contest. Agreed to buy it there and then and traded a 320ci for it....m sport is a real drivers set up. Massive difference when I went to non mp sport 5 series. It's a pleasure to drive on windy roads as long as you accept the still the stiff set up around town. 318i is completely under powered on the open road though.fine around town but don't expect much turn of speed on the motorway though.big fat low profile tyres on the rear with the m sport flatter but are pointless. Run flats work!limped back almost the whole back to Dublin from cork with what turned out to be literally a hole in the tyre, I kid you not! Problems?over the 4 years, coil packs went and the stability had to be fixed.cost a few quid but it comes with the territory. If you get a good one,you won't regret it....I'm on my 3rd Beemer now and I'd find it hard to change even though I've had my fair share of issues.....if you want trouble free motoring go jap but don't expect much of a driving experience....you take your chances with something like a Beemer but its worth it.....good luck...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

bmw 320d E90 or E46 all the way. 45 to 60 mph depending on age. watch out for high mileage ones, as they can give turbo problems, also front suspension bushings knock at around 80000 miles. but if they are done , your sorted.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    bmw 320d E90 or E46 all the way. 45 to 60 mph depending on age. watch out for high mileage ones, as they can give turbo problems, also front suspension bushings knock at around 80000 miles. but if they are done , your sorted.

The guy is buying a petrol model.

bazz26 wrote: »
    The guy is buying a petrol model.

he said he's going to look at a 320i, he hasn't bought it yet, im just suggesting a diesel alternative

Well if he is looking at and asking about a petrol car to begin with then chances are that he has worked out that he doesn't either want or have a need for a diesel.

Well if he is looking at and asking about a petrol car to begin with then chances are that he has worked out that he doesn't either want or have a need for a diesel.

and this is why i havent posted on here in a long time.

too many people on here making assumptions, or just want to be argumentative for no reason.

OP: i wish you well on what ever you buy, btw, this is a good site for info on the 3 series, regardless of engine lol.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/3-series-e90-2005/?section=good

cheers lad , thanks for all the info , going to look at it this morning so see how it turns out

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    and this is why i havent posted on here in a long time.

too many people on here making assumptions, or just want to be argumentative for no reason.

OP: i wish you well on what ever you buy, btw, this is a good site for info on the 3 series, regardless of engine lol.

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/bmw/3-series-e90-2005/?section=good

Nobody is being argumentative but the OP specifically asks for info about a petrol BMW, it's even in the thread title.

Now back on topic.
    cheers lad , thanks for all the info , going to look at it this morning so see how it turns out

Good luck OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

Hows it going I am going to look at a Bmw 3 series saloon M sport petrol tomorrow, I wouldnt know anything these type of cars. Do they give many problems or are they bulletproof as they say ?..If anyone has any info about the engine on these cars would be a big help cheers

I've a 320i coupe 170bhp, not sure of the differences to the saloon in terms of engine. Lovely car with minimal problems overall;

Biggest issues i've had are;

Coils - 2 have been replaced (was under warranty so not sure of cost). Think this is a common problem with the 320i.

Wheels - Run flats are expensive, 18'' cost 200-250 per wheel. I'm changing all 4 to normal wheels next month for about €400 for all 4.

Aside from the above its great and has loads of benefits;

Nice to drive

Decent on fuel - about 35-40mpg

Comfort is awesome - depending on ur spec

Built in bluetooth works very well

Acceleration is decent (even though mine is entry level engine for coupe model)

Road tax is decent about €380 per year

Insurance is decent

Onboard computer system is great, lets you know of any problems with car without being annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭kooga

as you are changing from the rfts will you get a spare wheel kit or go for the puncture repair kit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Redzah

kooga wrote: »
    as you are changing from the rfts will you get a spare wheel kit or go for the puncture repair kit?

Either puncture repair or nothing. Will still cost me less to ring a fella from the side of the road, deliver a tyre and put it on for me. The boot space is for the golf clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Redzah wrote: »
    Either puncture repair or nothing. Will still cost me less to ring a fella from the side of the road, deliver a tyre and put it on for me. The boot space is for the golf clubs.

4 decent 18 inch tyres will cost more than €400. If you're paying that for 4 new tyres you're not getting much of a tyre.

4 decent 18 inch tyres will cost more than €400. If you're paying that for 4 new tyres you're not getting much of a tyre.

Indeed, when I had my E90, 2 rear 18" Vredesetein's cost nearly €400 alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Indeed, when I had my E90, 2 rear 18" Vredesetein's cost nearly €400 alone.

Yep, OT how did the find them? Have new wheels coming for mine and been offered them at a great price for the size. Sessantas I presume?

Yep, OT how did the find them? Have new wheels coming for mine and been offered them at a great price for the size. Sessantas I presume?

Yep, great grip especially in the wet and good wearing. Just be careful of the walls, they are a bit fragile. I damaged one of mine because of an altercation with a kerb. Put Toyo's on the front of the CC and while they are a good tyre, they are not as good as the Sessantas. Will probably go back to them next time.

I ended up buying a 318 m sport instaed, the 320 was just not as clean,.. I have run flats on it at the moment lots of tyre left on them so ill see if i will put run flats on it again,.. what are them tyre in a can do they do the job if you get a flat ?

I ended up buying a 318 m sport instaed, the 320 was just not as clean,.. I have run flats on it at the moment lots of tyre left on them so ill see if i will put run flats on it again,.. what are them tyre in a can do they do the job if you get a flat ?
    They do if the damage is to the tread, but not if the sidewall is damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

maybe use the run flats until they require changing and replace them with normal tyres..

Idbatterim wrote: »
    maybe use the run flats until they require changing and replace them with normal tyres..
    yeah theres plenty of thread left on them , the ride isnt so bad on them, ill see price wise when they need to be changed which would be the best option, dont mind spending a few quid on good tyres when they have to be changed because there a big factor on a car

• Advertisement

yeah theres plenty of thread left on them , the ride isnt so bad on them, ill see price wise when they need to be changed which would be the best option, dont mind spending a few quid on good tyres when they have to be changed because there a big factor on a car
    If you can live with the ride then there's a lot to be said for the practicality of RFTs.

Advertisement