Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Losing your mojo..

Options
  • 14-10-2012 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is it possible?? I'm 26 (almost 27)and just moved to Toronto. Before coming here I was convinced that I would be banging birds all around me! And using the whole 'irish' thing would make it even easier! But no! I've been here for 2 Months and haven't scored yet. In Ireland I was pretty Successful with the ladies. I'm not a bad lookin lad. (not being big headed) seriously doubt my skills and why it's not happening for me. Toronto women are so hot.! Is because I'm intimidated by them! Help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Is it possible to lose your mojo? Of course. You're in a different timezone on a different continent and maybe Canadian burds like a different buzz?

I don't know by the way, I didnt have a mojo at home nevermind abroad.

What exactly is not working?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭fat__tony

OP I have been here two years and I still haven't had any!

I have been out on plenty of dates but I find Toronto women somewhat cold, entitled, and stuck up their own arses for the most part. Good looking they may be but a lot of them lack basic manners and personality.

It's a tough gig being a single lad in this city, thats for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Sounds like it's an entire different ball game there. Maybe instead of using the same tricks, try something new?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

I found it hard, as did most of my mates, to pick up hot girls in Australia, Canada etc. You're an immigrant remember. Not that high on the Toronto social ladder. Go to the Irish pubs and pick up a slice of back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It is also possible that you're going about it all wrong.

Here in Ireland, the norm is to get ****faced, and go and grind up on some random wan in a loud ****ty club, until she either boxes the lugs of you, or lets you be inside her.

I'm guessing that Toronto wimmens might want something a little more substantial/meaningful before allowing the secsy times commence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It is also possible that you're going about it all wrong.

Here in Ireland, the norm is to get ****faced, and go and grind up on some random wan in a loud ****ty club, until she either boxes the lugs of you, or lets you be inside her.

I'm guessing that Toronto wimmens might want something a little more substantial/meaningful before allowing the secsy times commence.

I think that's a pretty poor generalisation and a bit insulting by inference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, it's a common occurrence rather than insulting.

Play the Canadians at their own game. Don't do what they expect the Irish to do (get hammered drunk all the time, you'll just be like a prank monkey). Try to meet them in places other than the pub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

seachto7 wrote: »
    Well, it's a common occurrence rather than insulting.

Play the Canadians at their own game. Don't do what they expect the Irish to do (get hammered drunk all the time, you'll just be like a prank monkey). Try to meet them in places other than the pub.

I've had chats like this with my female Canadian friends that lived here and are all back home now battling with millions of Paddys chancing their arm. Seachto is almost on the money ;)

My friends opinions on Irish boyos are:

1) They wait until they are drunk to approach you.
    2) They never actually ask you out on a date in person and if they do it's always for a drink where they usually end up drunk again.
    3) They text all the time but have no difficulty with the booty call at 3am.
    4) They don't make much effort to let you know that they like you (sober).
    5) They are adverse to personal questions and will make every joke possible to get out of answering it

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ryan11

Maybe trying something new might be the way to go.. ie. Not on nights out when I'm drunk.! Not by grinding on the dance floor witch works pretty well back home.. (one of my favourites) maybe I should ask a hottie sitting across from me on the train for her number or something? I'm a very shy fella, I need a drink to go and have a drink and that is terrifying to me! I've kissed a few burds on nights out but nothing better that what was doing on nights in Ireland.. Maybe the sober approach is the best, and try and get 2 or 3 numbers of hot birds... I'll try, and share my experiences..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

ryan11 wrote: »
    Maybe trying something new might be the way to go.. ie. Not on nights out when I'm drunk.! Not by grinding on the dance floor witch works pretty well back home.. (one of my favourites) maybe I should ask a hottie sitting across from me on the train for her number or something? I'm a very shy fella, I need a drink to go and have a drink and that is terrifying to me! I've kissed a few burds on nights out but nothing better that what was doing on nights in Ireland.. Maybe the sober approach is the best, and try and get 2 or 3 numbers of hot birds... I'll try, and share my experiences..

It just shows what nonsense it is when Irish men say you can't chat up Irish women sober in the street like in other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Shryke wrote: »
    I think that's a pretty poor generalisation and a bit insulting by inference.

I'll take that apology whenever you are ready.
    Birdster wrote: »
    I've had chats like this with my female Canadian friends that lived here and are all back home now battling with millions of Paddys chancing their arm. Seachto is almost on the money ;)

My friends opinions on Irish boyos are:

1) They wait until they are drunk to approach you.
    2) They never actually ask you out on a date in person and if they do it's always for a drink where they usually end up drunk again.
    3) They text all the time but have no difficulty with the booty call at 3am.
    4) They don't make much effort to let you know that they like you (sober).
    5) They are adverse to personal questions and will make every joke possible to get out of answering it

:)

Twas me that pointed it out. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Is it possible?? I'm 26 (almost 27)and just moved to Toronto. Before coming here I was convinced that I would be banging birds all around me! And using the whole 'irish' thing would make it even easier! But no! I've been here for 2 Months and haven't scored yet. In Ireland I was pretty Successful with the ladies. I'm not a bad lookin lad. (not being big headed) seriously doubt my skills and why it's not happening for me. Toronto women are so hot.! Is because I'm intimidated by them! Help!
    You're in a different country, with a different culture and so the seduction game is naturally going to differ.

In this regard, the Irish male approach tends to be quite passive. Irish women are more aggressive than in many other countries and thus more likely to initiate or even drive the process. Alcohol also plays a significant part to all this, to the point that there's often an over reliance on it. As such, Irish men have a pretty hard time of it compared to others in many other countries, because back home we really don't need to try too hard - we kind of stand at the bar, waiting for a drunk woman to bump into and land underneath us.

So when you find yourself in another country, where the man is typically expected to be more aggressive and to drive the process or that is less dependant on alcohol, an Irishman will often find himself like a fish out of water. I experienced this myself when, in my mid twenties, I returned to Italy after growing up in Ireland; I was hopeless at first and it took me months to change to the local way of doing things. Conversely, after that experience, when I returned to Ireland, it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

I suggest you study how Canadian men go about hooking up with women. Ask advice of some of them. If you persevere at it, you'll eventually acclimatize yourself and be back in the saddle before long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Emeraldy Pebbles

Well, break down what made you popular with women in Ireland. Are you doing the same in Canada? Maybe you are, in which case the dating scene might have different nuances there. But you might be going about things differently over there, unbeknownest to yourself, maybe relying on the Irish thing too much?

If it is just that the dating scene differs over there, have you got any good Canadian friends whose brains you can pick about the subject?

I'm almost on the money? What did I miss out on? ;)
    Yup, you got to get stuck in with the locals and play it their way while being "Irish" as well, as this is what is going to make you different to the locals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Mickey Dazzler

I have been to Canada and have scored many a Canadian woman in my day. Fecking love them.

I am absolutely convinced that all Canadian birds are taken out of school at 17 for a six week intensive course on giving blow jobs because the three best blowys I have gotten have all been from Canadian birds. Savage.

Maybe try being a bit of a cock. That is what I do and it works great for me. Whatever your doing wrong sort that **** out cause Canadians birds are a treat not to be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Canadians birds are a treat not to be missed.

This is good news for a guy moving to Canada in a few weeks. :)

Besides, I've got absolutely zero mojo here. I'm hoping I might have left it in Canada last time I was there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

One simple suggestion mate, from a foreigner (Italy): drop the effing drink! That alone will go a long way.

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    One simple suggestion mate, from a foreigner (Italy): drop the effing drink! That alone will go a long way.

+1

Play up to the Irish stereotype, and what do you expect is going to happen. You may as well paint your face and put on clown shoes while you are at it....

+1

Play up to the Irish stereotype, and what do you expect is going to happen. You may as well paint your face and put on clown shoes while you are at it....

Lol :D

Trust me. It happened me manys the time in Italy......I was young and foolish though... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

I have been to Canada and have scored many a Canadian woman in my day. Fecking love them.

I am absolutely convinced that all Canadian birds are taken out of school at 17 for a six week intensive course on giving blow jobs because the three best blowys I have gotten have all been from Canadian birds. Savage.

Maybe try being a bit of a cock. That is what I do and it works great for me. Whatever your doing wrong sort that **** out cause Canadians birds are a treat not to be missed.

A few of my boys were in America for a J1 and said basically the same thing. American girls will give head all you want but it's hard to get the ride.

Trust me. It happened me manys the time in Italy......I was young and foolish though... ;)

You're some man! ;) Who are those foolish ladies to have knocked you back!!

hefferboi wrote: »
    A few of my boys were in America for a J1 and said basically the same thing. American girls will give head all you want but it's hard to get the ride.

And were they complaining about that? :confused:

You're some man! ;) Who are those foolish ladies to have knocked you back!!

I went to Italy with the Irish mentality. Go out. Get smashed. Try and pull. Failed 90% of the time, as Italians don't really go out and get smashed, especially the women.......
    Once I copped on and didn't get locked, there was more success....
    But it's the same in Ireland. I see it every week playing music. Lads langersed drunk trying to chat up women, and it's never going to happen. You can see it a mile off.........

I went to Italy with the Irish mentality. Go out. Get smashed. Try and pull. Failed 90% of the time, as Italians don't really go out and get smashed, especially the women.......
    Once I copped on and didn't get locked, there was more success....
    But it's the same in Ireland. I see it every week playing music. Lads langersed drunk trying to chat up women, and it's never going to happen. You can see it a mile off.........

It's a pity not even 50% of Irish lads can realise this though.

EG: One night I brought a guy home (bold girl, I know) told him to give me 5minutes to tidy my room ( :D ) before following me up. You're thinking "Bingo, lucky guy" right? Well 5mins was too long, because he was so pissed he fell asleep on the sofa next to my already passed out male flatmate and never made it up the stairs. Both Irish, both male and both pissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

And were they complaining about that? :confused:

I'm complaining cos I'm stuck here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Play the Canadians at their own game.
    Maybe try being a bit of a cock.

biggrin.png

It's a pity not even 50% of Irish lads can realise this though.

EG: One night I brought a guy home (bold girl, I know) told him to give me 5minutes to tidy my room ( :D ) before following me up. You're thinking "Bingo, lucky guy" right? Well 5mins was too long, because he was so pissed he fell asleep on the sofa next to my already passed out male flatmate and never made it up the stairs. Both Irish, both male and both pissed.

There you go. :D Irish lads need to realise they should start practicing at home, then when they go abroad, they'll have the added novelty of being Irish on top of not being blind drunk all the time.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Living in Australia at the moment.

Sweeping generalizations:

While they drink they don't drink anything like home. They can be aggressive though just again I feel to a lesser degree than us.

Iv also had Australian friends back in Ireland and were amused as to how Irish men get rat arsed and wonder why they don't score.

Playing the Irish card is fine but its not going to be an instant score. You have to accept that different cultures value different traits.

What are you missing, I don't know but maybe ask a bunch of Canadian women. At least it will start a conversation which is the opening battle.:D

• Advertisement

Living in Australia at the moment.

What are you missing, I don't know but maybe ask a bunch of Canadian women. At least it will start a conversation which is the opening battle.:D

There you go. There's your start. :)

Advertisement