Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for savings in Ireland

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

endabob1 wrote: »
    Easy Tiger, that sounds like an idea that might actually work, save money and improve peoples lives, have you no idea where you are :eek:

I dont think it would save money at all. The added red tape of distributing uniforms books etc would cost way more than 'heres the money get it yourself' attitude.

That said i still think its a better idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Spacedog wrote: »

I know it's AH, but if you dont like an idea, try to come up with another, better one rather than pissing over them with pessimistic comments why they wont work.

Cost of a dropped schoolbook = €0
    Cost of a dropped e-reader = €150+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

theres lots of stuff that could be done for free through politicans actually pushing legislation to help the people.

stuff like
    - free gp for everyone including WORKING tax paying people who are paying for the medical system anyhow: currently people wait till they are properly crocked and then take up a much needed hospital bed rather than shell out the money to see their gp early. A single avoided hopital stay could save 10s of thousands of euro in critical care, so one less person in hospital = the cash for 100s of people's free gp care
    - noise pollution : no tolerance to feckers making life a misery for neighbours. fine them and send in the balif to take their plasma/ LED widescreen tellies if needs be,
    - noise pollution pt2 : beef up the planning standards so that buildings dont transmit noise as much
    - cüntish management companies on estates/ apartments: create a law to ban them and have it ran by an owners committee (I think this is on the way)
    - bad drivers : have the guards do more than simply check tax and insurance. come down like a ton of bricks with people who tailgate for instance.
    - Ban clamping
    - put manners on layabout scumbags by enforcing respect for the guards. In germany you get 1000s of euros of a fine for disrespect to the police so its something that works.
    - put manners on layabout scumbags by docking dole and other privilidges if they engage in antisocial behaviour (which they would term "entitlements")

etc etc etc.
    Theres so much that could be done by a bit of creativity by politicans for free.
    Unfortunately they are too busy trying to get last minute passports or other crap for a few dozen constituents to be actively progressing the country.

- put manners on layabout scumbags by enforcing respect for the guards. In germany you get 1000s of euros of a fine for disrespect to the police so its something that works.

How do you force respect for the gardai? I can see how it worked in germany, its not like they ever had any trouble with heavy handed authority figures

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

Everyone in Ireland sets up a youtube account to which everyone else in the country shall be subscribed. With that many subscriptions, we'll be certain to be asked to be part of the youtube partner programme and rake in the earnings. After that, we think up ways to spend our new fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

squod wrote: »
    Can't anyone use the fuhken noggin when voting in this country?

I was just about to say that Irish people deserve everything they get due to who they elect. So many people complain but yet vote for complete ****ehawks.

I'd like to be able to say... **** you guys its your own fault but I still have to live here. I only voted for one person.

Read the "on the street opinions" section in any Local Irish news paper and you'd actually be up for introducing a mandatory IQ test/any sign of a brain cell test before someone can cast a vote. But if we were... red tape would kill it, cronies would over higher for it etc

I do agree with the cutting of child benefit after two kids though. People will have to learn that everything is scarce and just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

Everyone in Ireland sets up a youtube account to which everyone else in the country shall be subscribed. With that many subscriptions, we'll be certain to be asked to be youtube partners and rake in the earnings. After that, we think up ways to spend our new fortune.

And then can we all party again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I dont think it would save money at all. The added red tape of distributing uniforms books etc would cost way more than 'heres the money get it yourself' attitude.

That said i still think its a better idea

Admin is a potential issue, but how much is there currently associated with the current Children's Allowance?

I think it's a great idea, only give the free stuff through state schools though. Private education is privately funded, all state education is 100% free.
    In many ways it's a simpler method of means testing it.

I know!

We set up and Ireland account on facebook and get all of our friends to 'Like' it.

alternatively we could all change our facebook statuses to say "Change your status to support Irelands economic recovery and transformation into a pluralist forward thinking society. repost if you agree and if you dont your probably a durty french bastard ye!"

I know!

We set up and Ireland account on facebook and get all of our friends to 'Like' it.

alternatively we could all change our facebook statuses to say "Change your status to support Irelands economic recovery and transformation into a pluralist forward thinking society. repost if you agree and if you dont your probably a durty french bastard ye!"

Maybe its time we got onto sending out some...

Irish prince has money for you emails....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

conorhal wrote: »
    We spend nearly 3bn on child benefit every year without quantifying how effectively it is spent.
    I would axe child benefit in the morning and instead directly provide two uniforms, all a childs school books and materials for the year, a healthy meal at lunchtime for every schoolchild and free school transport. In other words I'd make free primary and seconday education actually free.

I reckon that you could also save a billion euro doing this, eliminate waste and ensure that deprived children were incentivised to attend school.

Yes but well thought out ideas that could actually work will lead to a shark dip in popularity ratings and the possibility of a party losing power.

Maybe we should have a bit of old pray. Maybe god will help us and..........

COYW wrote: »
    Yes but well thought out ideas that could actually work will lead to a shark dip in popularity ratings and the possibility of a party losing power.

Nail on the head.

I come from a fierce left background but I'm starting to think that if they want to rule in favour of capitalism they have to start running the country like a very large business.

Advertisement