Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Passat Vibrating

Options
  • 26-05-2011 10:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hi Guys. Recently got the front left wish bone on my 04 passat replaced, after hitting a huge pothole.

Since getting it done, ive noticed the car is pulling to the left, and while on a journey down the m1 yesterday, when i hit about 130kph, the car started to vibrate fairly hard. I thought i had a flate tyre, but i didn't so continued on.

Car felt ok below 120kph, still pulling, but once i went over that speed it started to rattle and vibrate hard again.

Any Ideas what the problem could be? Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

You may need to get the tyre on that side re- balanced... Was it checked for damage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭derv60

the tyre had a slight buckle, and i also got that repaired.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

Wheel might still be a little warped, might be best getting a new wheel. I had a vibration at 120kph and it turned out that the wheel was badly mishaped after hitting a kerb. if you have a full spare in the boot you could try swaping it with the bad one and see if it's any better

thanks for the replies. Will try that with the spare and see. If the wheel was out i take it that would be the cause of the car pulling left?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭illegalpower

It could make it pull to the left but the tracking may not have been adjusted correctly when it was fixed. Neither of these jobs are expensive so hopefully it will be a quick fix for you

• Advertisement

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

I'm sure there's a huge female market out there for vibrating cars :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

shergar22 wrote: »
    I'm sure there's a huge female market out there for vibrating cars :)

msshergar need one?
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

derv60 wrote: »
    the tyre had a slight buckle, and i also got that repaired.

If the wheel got buckled by the pothole then there's a fair chance the rubber tyre suffered damage too which might cause some of the vibration. Fixing the wheel is not the same as fixing the tyre (damaged tyres can't be fixed) so it might be worth having the tyre taken off and checked for internal damage regardless.

I'd go along with the spare wheel test, but bear in mind that the spare wheel may not be properly balanced either so you could still get vibration. This might occur at the same or different speed as before depending on the balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭shergar22

phill106 wrote: »
    msshergar need one?
    :D

Nah. We make do with the washing machine on spin :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies lads. Took off the wheel and put on the spare this morning. The inside of the tyre is worn pretty bad so will need a new one today.

I took a spin up the motor with the spare on, much smoother and not pulling at all, but there still is a rattle when i hit 120kph or so??

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Hi Guys. Recently got the front left wish bone on my 04 passat replaced, after hitting a huge pothole.

Since getting it done, ive noticed the car is pulling to the left, and while on a journey down the m1 yesterday, when i hit about 130kph, the car started to vibrate fairly hard. I thought i had a flate tyre, but i didn't so continued on.

Car felt ok below 120kph, still pulling, but once i went over that speed it started to rattle and vibrate hard again.

Any Ideas what the problem could be? Cheers.

Wishbone?? do you not mean control arm? which arm did they change?

Wishbone?? do you not mean control arm? which arm did they change?

That's a good question! My knowledge of car parts isn't the best!

Don't think this picture is of a passat but I think that is it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

thanks for the replies. Will try that with the spare and see. If the wheel was out i take it that would be the cause of the car pulling left?

No.
    Suspension geometry out would be the cause of pulling to one side.
    If the suspension was fixed it either wasn't fixed right, or the tracking done incorrectly.
    Vibrations would most likely result from buckled wheel.
    How was the wheel repaired?
    If it's an alloy the tire must be taken off and the rim heat treated and then straightened.

No.
    Suspension geometry out would be the cause of pulling to one side.
    If the suspension was fixed it either wasn't fixed right, or the tracking done incorrectly.
    Vibrations would most likely result from buckled wheel.
    How was the wheel repaired?
    If it's an alloy the tire must be taken off and the rim heat treated and then straightened.
    I put the spare on, the car is not pulling at all anymore, but still rattles at higher speed. So I would imagine the problem is not with the original alloy, as it is still rattling with both wheels.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I put the spare on, the car is not pulling at all anymore, but still rattles at higher speed. So I would imagine the problem is not with the original alloy, as it is still rattling with both wheels.

Strange that.
    Changing the tire should not have had any impact on the way the car is pulling.
    If it still rattles at high speed it is possible the drive shaft got warped, happened to a friend of mine one day.
    He drove downhill on ice, car started to skid, he turned the wheel and the side of the wheel hit a curb and bent wishbone and drive shaft.
    He changed the wishbone, but the drive shaft was still causing wobble.
    I'd check the original wheel for bad buckles and have the driveshaft checked to see it's still straight.
    If there was a very bad knock it is possible that the actual chassis is bent that locates the suspension parts, that one's nasty, but rare.

Advertisement