Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pedal Extenders

Options
  • 26-05-2011 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭

This is kind of embarrassing but does anybody know anything about pedal extenders? Can I buy them online and fit them myself (I can only find sites in the US) or do I need to get them fitted somewhere? I'm 5'1 and even with the seat back as far as I can comfortably press both (it's auto) pedals all the way in I'm still too close. I'm worried now if something happens the airbag is going to seriously injure/kill me. I have a neck injury so I'm limited to what I can drive comfortably - I have an SUV/Jeep at the moment and I think if I went back to driving a car I'd be freaked out because I've gotten use to being in a higher position for years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,387 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Try motability ireland.
    I don't think its a job you wanna DIY given how important it is.

There would be insurance implications too. I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

At the risk of stating the obvious.....

Can you adjust the rake/angle of the steering wheel ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

homer90 wrote: »
    At the risk of stating the obvious.....

Can you adjust the rake/angle of the steering wheel ?

Yep - it's already adjusted :o The pedals in TestTransmission's link are what I'm after. I'll doublecheck with the insurance company first thou. As I said it's a bit embarrassing but at the same time it's stupid to be sitting so close! I've always done it and never really thought about it- a thread on here a while ago got me thinking about how dangerous it is. Also the seats are electric and SLOW when I'm waiting for them to move to the right position :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

I'm not entirely understanding the point here OP. OK, you're short but when you move the seat forward you can reach the pedals and are able to extend them fully?

If so what's the point in these extentions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm sitting too close to the steering wheel (less that 10 inches) and I'm worried I could be injured by the airbag if I was in an accident :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

In fairness, i see way too many people (mostly women) sitting too close to the wheel. I think its due to not being able to reach the pedals rather than habit. It is dangerous because the airbag would still be inflating when you would hit it. The impact forces would be higher than they should be so the resulting injuries would be worse.
    OP, you are right to check with your insurance company first, anything after that can be worked around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

In fairness you're right to worry, any of us could have an accident tomorrow (touch wood). If I was to try and prevent all and any possible potential injuries to myself on a daily basis I wouldn't be able to leave my bed.

Drive her on OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I like when the forum does good

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

A lot of French cars have pedal extenders... into the front passenger footwell! ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement