Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VIN Number on Audi A8 04

• 09-04-2010 9:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Was just getting the NCT done and the lads there couldnt find the VIN number on chassis.

They found the number on the windscreen and under the bonnet but wont pass the car until they find it on the chassis.

I have contacted Park Motors where I bought the car and they have no idea, but will take the car in to have a look but basiscally, im tryiong to avoid the cost.

Anyone any idea where on the chassis this number can be found.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,459 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I would have thought that its their business to know where to look. If the number isnt where its supposed to be, well then you have a problem.

Did they try the front bulkhead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

This is the second NCT since I got the car, so I assume last time the guys found the number.

When I was told this I asked him to recheck it with someone else, but they found no number at all, but also neither guy knew where it was supposed to be, so they claimed to have checked everywhere for it.

I have been onto Audi Ireland, and they dont know where it is supposed to be, but say it is there somewhere.

I would get onto NCTS head office. See what their take on it is. This is the NCT guys job. You shouldnt be out of pocket. Seeing as its gone through the test before, you should get a reasonable response. I sure they could find a technician within their ranks who would know where the number is.
    Fabulous car in general though Id say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

NCT sucks, just another way to squeeze money out of the already over taxed irish motorist and the penalty is completely insane, 5 points, I'd need to be driving down the wrong side of a motorway, on the phone with no seat belt on to beat match it. It has credibility to a point but they went the wrong way about implementing it, common sense is thrown out the window completly and people end up failing over stupid things like lisence plates not in the right font or interior lights not working etc... just another punishment for owning a car in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

I found it eventually.

I had to lift the back seats out to remove the carpet and the chassis number was on the metal there. Obviously it was never checked before.

Thanks anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,790 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

LeBash wrote: »
    Hi,

Was just getting the NCT done and the lads there couldnt find the VIN number on chassis.

They found the number on the windscreen and under the bonnet but wont pass the car until they find it on the chassis.

The number on the windscreen and under the bonnet, if punched (not a label), IS the number becaue that IS the 'chassis'. There hasn't been a 'chassis' separate from body on a car since.........the '50's.........mainstream that is, forget Morgan's et al..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Yep, if they found it under the bonnet, then that's the bloody chassis number.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

galwaytt wrote: »
    IS the number becaue that IS the 'chassis'. There hasn't been a 'chassis' separate from body on a car since.........the '50's.........mainstream that is, forget Morgan's et al..

If you look at the NCT report, you will find, that it doesn't actually say "chassis" number, its called VIN number (vehicle identification number), but most people call still call it chassis number.

If I tell a customer, sorry, I couldn't find your cars VIN number, then they don't know what I'm talking about, so I usually call it chassis number.

And no, we simply don't have the time, to look for hours for the number.....and now this is the important part!.....thats stamped into the car!

Stickers under the bonnet, the little plate in the windscreen corner.......they simply won't do, we have to see the actual VIN number.

And stop whinging about costs, VIN number obstructed/not visible is a free Re-Test!

Cosmo K wrote: »
    If you look at the NCT report, you will find, that it doesn't actually say "chassis" number, its called VIN number (vehicle identification number), but most people call still call it chassis number.

If I tell a customer, sorry, I couldn't find your cars VIN number, then they don't know what I'm talking about, so I usually call it chassis number.

And no, we simply don't have the time, to look for hours for the number.....and now this is the important part!.....thats stamped into the car!

Stickers under the bonnet, the little plate in the windscreen corner.......they simply won't do, we have to see the actual VIN number.

And stop whinging about costs, VIN number obstructed/not visible is a free Re-Test!

Yes it is reasonable to have to find the stamped number but surely when providing a national car testing service, it is not beyond reasonable to expect the nct guys would have access to this type of info for all models over 4 years old. Why should the customer be put out due to a lack of knowledge of one nct tester over another. After all, this car passed the last time with no problem.

[QUOTE=mickdw;65343238 it is not beyond reasonable to expect the nct guys would have access to this type of info for all models over 4 years old. .[/QUOTE]

Yes, we do have access to a data base, but not every model is listed in the data base.

I tested a Jeep Grand Cherokee last week, searched 20 min for the VIN, couldn't find it. Had no choice but to fail it for VIN number not visible. The customer was furios (totally understandable), so he then rang his Jeep Dealership......and even they didn't know where the bloody VIN number is.

I (and most of my colleagues) know, where the VIN number is on normal "mainstream" cars, but if it is a more "exotic" car, something you don't see everyday, like an A8, things can be bit more difficult.
    It would be easier for us, and the customer, if one could simply ring the nearest dealership, and ask them, where the VIN number is located, but in most cases, they simply don't know the answer to that question.

@%%g hate it, when I get the answer: sure its on the little sticker on the doorsill......

• Advertisement

Do the manufacturers not have to provide this information for each model that they release for sale in any given market as part of its certificate of conformity or some similar document. If that is the case, the info should be readily available & NCTS should have access. Being rare should not come into it.
    The customer is these cases is surely entitled to some form of compensation, which IMO should be a refund of the original test fee at least & some arrangement made re coming in for the retest such as at the customers convenience

mickdw wrote: »
    The customer is these cases is surely entitled to some form of compensation, which IMO should be a refund of the original test fee at least & some arrangement made re coming in for the retest such as at the customers convenience

Compensation for what? VIN number not visible is a free Re-Test, and he doesn't even need an appointment.......

But they do need to give up their time to compensate for the fact that the NCT tester couldn't find the VIN.

And time is money...

Chris, I honestly don't know what to reply to your last post........

You asked why compensation should be required - the retest is free.

I agree with mickdw, if I have to take further time off work to drive to the test centre to point out a VIN that the tester (with the support of the organisation behind them - I'm not picking on individual testers) should have been able to find in the first place, then I'd expect some form of compensatory gesture.

Chris its ok, I got your point, NCTS wrong, as usual - customer right, as always, case closed.

Not just the NCTS, I'm shocked that Park Motors couldn't help the OP either.

NCTS & Park Motors are the experts, it shouldn't be up to the OP to personally search the car to the extent where they're lifting the back seats and removing the carpet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

The vin number/chassis number is also under the carpet in the back and inside the engine bay. Its their on mine anyway i havent time to read all the thread so if you found it good and well

Chris its ok, I got your point, NCTS wrong, as usual - customer right, as always, case closed.

Great attitude tbh.
    Kinda sums up why you think its fine that customer should have to do half the job for you, take extra time off work & not be given any kind of compensation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lostA8

i recently bought an A8 and unfortunately can't find the VIN. can you remember where under the back seat the number is located,? Having read your mail i took up the seat and cut the underlay but can't see the number, any help would be much appreciated, is it under the carpet in the rear passenger footwell?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lostA8

-Corkie- wrote: »
    The vin number/chassis number is also under the carpet in the back and inside the engine bay. Its their on mine anyway i havent time to read all the thread so if you found it good and well
    can you remember where under the carpet, need to find it to pass the nct, tried to locate it but no luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

Look half way down the page in this link.

http://avto-gai.ru/agregati/audi-vin.html

lostA8 wrote: »
    can you remember where under the carpet, need to find it to pass the nct, tried to locate it but no luck

Its under the drivers seat. Well towards the rear of the car. Open the back door and look under the drivers seat..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

So now we need to search the car beforehand and make sure we (the owner) knows where the stanped VIN is? And on my 8 series tell them its got an LSD and not to put it on the rollers. And ensure they remember similar on my quattro S8? Then there is that confusing issue that another poster mentioned where he was told 4x4's need 6mm tyre thread depth at my NCT test center... which he had to determine was false.

This all sounds like a pain in the hole TBH, wonder is the MOT like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

It's hidden for a reason and that sort of info shouldn't circulate too widely. Serious car criminals will know where it is and how to change it but threads like this also educate the amateurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It's hidden for a reason and that sort of info shouldn't circulate too widely. Serious car criminals will know where it is and how to change it but threads like this also educate the amateurs.

What do you mean hidden? Its on the windscreen, the question is the stamped version of the same number is it not?

Matt Simis wrote: »
    What do you mean hidden? Its on the windscreen, the question is the stamped version of the same number is it not?

I dont think criminals are thickos that they wouldnt find a VIN. Allthough I couldnt find mine when the original op asked in april. So I must be a thicko..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭wailim_2002

Compensation for what? VIN number not visible is a free Re-Test, and he doesn't even need an appointment.......

Hi Cosmo: Since you seem to be a Tester.

Where in the NCT manual does it actually say you cannot accept the VIN behind the windscreen?

Or is this simply one interpretation of it? I cannot find any wording like that. Sometimes interpretations have to be challenged in the courts and this probably has not happened yet. Is it a recent change?

Fair play by the way... ye generally do a great job. Although I suspect some of the equipment used or procedures are very vulnerable to letting dangerous cars slip through while sometimes catching safe cars and costing owners huge money on unnecessary repairs.

eg, I've seen the same car go through different test centers and have a 29% difference in brake performance ;) without any changes being done LOL To me, as an engineer, it matters not whether the equipment or the procedure caused a discrepancy that big.... but thats another story.. for now, interested to hear your response on the VIN question as I have just spent 2.5 hours looking for mine!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elainekk

Hi, just after trying to get nct myself and they can not find vin number. Did you find yours and where if so? I saw the post about under carpet but I hope not to have to go down that route as you can imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 kleint4

Hi I had a problem after going for a NCT test as the vin number on my 2002 Jeep Cherokee vin number was not visible. After some digging about I found it on the right side passenger door. Open the door and on the metal cover of the door remove the small plastic cover and it is found there. I believe on later models it can be found in the spare wheel compartment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Maybe start a new thread..this one is 5 years old....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 kleint4

Hi
    I had the same problem with the vin number on my 2002 Jeep Cherokee vin number and after some digging about I found it on the right side passenger door. Open the door and on the metal cill remove the small plastic cover to get to the vin. I believe on later models it can be found in the spare wheel compartment.

Advertisement