Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth it becoming self employed in Ireland

Options
  • 04-01-2011 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

can anyone please advise me is there any way of claiming unemployment assistance / job seekers benefit ect...... if a business i start up hits dire straits and i have no money at all ....plaese help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭mayfire

No. I was S/E for over 20 years and had to stop working last year because of a health issue. I am entitled to nothing at all. Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭cc-offe

If you are currently getting certain social welfare payments then you could qualify for this payment for 2 years from when you begin so you could save it if you didn't need it http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_and_work/back_to_work_enterprise_allowance.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭Darlughda

Adrian36 wrote: »
    can anyone please advise me is there any way of claiming unemployment assistance / job seekers benefit ect...... if a business i start up hits dire straits and i have no money at all ....plaese help

You may be entitled to Jobseekers' Allowance if you have insufficient income from your business to meet your basic means.
    See here.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/unemployed_people/self_employed_and_unemployment.html

mayfire wrote: »
    No. I was S/E for over 20 years and had to stop working last year because of a health issue. I am entitled to nothing at all. Absolutely nothing.
    This is a common misconception about self employed workers.

You might not be entitled to illness benefit, or jobseekers benefit like PRSI workers, but you have had the opportunity to pay credited contribution during those years of self employment, that would have given you entitlements to most if not all of the same benefits that the employed worker gets. The only difference is those benefits are voluntary, rather than compulsory as is the case with the worker paying PRSI.

In any case, if you have not enought means to support yourself from your business, there is still the option of jobseekers allowance, providing that you were well enough to actively seek work and you satisfied the other conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adrian36

thanks very much for the useful and very informative info , cheers

Advertisement