Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Cinema to reopen

Options
  • 17-11-2005 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭

I read in this weeks Limerick Post that there are plans to reopen the Royal Cinema up on Cecil Street again.

Here is the link to the story:
    http://www.limerickpost.ie/dailynews.elive?id=6890&category=Daily-Thu

It looks like it is going to be a world cinema picture house rather than competing with the likes of the Omiplex and Storm. Something similar to what goes on at the Belltable.

Will be nice to see that old building refurbished, currently it is a disgrace. I have fond memories going to that cinema when I was very young, that place and the Carlton.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

That's brilliant news. The investors must have been reading the Urban Renewal thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287190

Do you know how many screens it'll have? It would be good too if it opened every night, cos at the moment as far as I know the Belltable film club only shows films of a Monday which ain't much good if you aren't free on a Monday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

gaf1983 wrote:
    Do you know how many screens it'll have? It would be good too if it opened every night,

Right, I got off my arse and read the Limerick Post link - 2 screens and it'll be open 7 nights a week. What do you make of Sean Flynn's criticisms- he thinks it would be better as a theatre. I'm not too sure about that- we already have the Belltable, the UL Concert hall and the LIT Millenium theatre for that sort of thing, but no cinema in town.

Didn't know Boyzone played there, but apparently they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

good news indeed though it dosnt sound like its going to be shows all the big new films

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

gaf1983 wrote:
    Right, I got off my arse and read the Limerick Post link - 2 screens and it'll be open 7 nights a week. What do you make of Sean Flynn's criticisms- he thinks it would be better as a theatre. I'm not too sure about that- we already have the Belltable, the UL Concert hall and the LIT Millenium theatre for that sort of thing, but no cinema in town.

Didn't know Boyzone played there, but apparently they did.
    An episode or two of Father Ted were also filmed there during the mid 1990s. It actually used to be called the Theatre Royal at one stage but due to lack of investment it literally fell apart. I think it should start with the World Cinema theme and see how it goes, nothing like a bit of variety in the city centre imo. All we need now is some investment in the old Central cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

The old central cinema is being done up, well renovated. The old Weslian (?) Church front is being restored, shop on the ground floor, offices above it.

Think the world cinema is a great idea for the cultural life of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭grumpypaddy

boyzone played in their hayday to a crowd of 52 people in the theatre royal... and no , i wasnt there but knew the lady that did the tickets at the door!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

great. the kino in cork is great and UL had the film soc on mon nights. i think many of these foreign/low budget films are brilliant. some are still etched in my mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Well, we do need more theatre space, amd this place would be perfect, but they have decided to only use part of this building, for showings that would have a very limited audience! Plus there is already a cinema in the city that offers that service, y not just increase the showings there and use this to its full potential?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Because Limerickman, if you read my earlier post, the Savoy2 venue is being turned into shops and offices as part of the Bedford Row regeneration. The crowds going to Savoy2 do not justify making the venue any bigger. I say work with what we can now, get a scene moving and look to expand then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 snackatack

apparently boyzone only played for half an hour.
    I think a world cinema could be good, they have cinemas like these everywhere, and there very successful also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

But the venue has so much more potential, personnally i just feel its a shame to abandon any resources this city has!
    The Belltable could screen movies, whereas if done right this theatre could attract tourists into the city centre like the UL does, but when ppl go to something in UL, they dont go into the city centre!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭radioman

My God the place is opening up again after being idle for years... and STILL some people find something to complain about!

I remember going there before it closed down fully, that guy Sean Flynn ran it I think. It had Termites nightclub and that 80's night thing. It was in an awful state. So he can comment...

We have fantastic venues in Limerick as it is. The Warehouse, UL concert hall, Millenium Theatre. So they're not in the middle of town, who cares, there's nothing in the middle of town anymore anyway so what's so special about getting people in there?!

I congratulate whoever is using their inititiative to get it opened again and have something constructive done with it.

Advertisement