Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macs network connection

Options
  • 22-09-2005 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭

I am having a small issue with my Network connections on a g4 imac. It is happening exactly the same with both the Ethernet and the Airport connections.

Bear with me a little as I am a windows head recently introduced to Macs :)

I am running OS X tiger and its fully up to date.

The problem is that my network connection performance drops every 5 seconds approx. At first I thought it was a wireless range problem, but the exact same thing happens with a wired Ethernet connection.

An example might explain it better. If I download a large file across the network, and monitor the network activity via the Monitor application (in the utilities folder) I will see my bandwith at 2.5 Mbits/s for about 5 seconds, then it drops to 1 Mbits/s for a second and then back up to 2.5 for another (approx) 5 seconds, and then down to 0 for a second and so on. Doing the same on a PC connected to the same router, will show a constant 2.5Mbits/s and hence a quicker download.

Its NOT a network problem. My network is correctly setup. There is nothing else using the network when thsi happens.I do not have the same issue on any of my PCs (and I have a few :) ) I have tested this vigourously over the last couple of days.

I have set up my ethernet and Airport connections correctly (as far as I can see) using System Preferences> Network. I have tried both DHCP and Static IP addresses, but no difference. The Firewall is stopped for all the items in the list.
    Am i missing something? Are there an settings/ Utilities that are not obvious that could impact this? Has anyone else seen this.

Any help would be appreciated

Dil

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Hi, dil999

I don't have the luxury of Broadband were I live, so I've never had to deal with that sort of problem. Try http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@679.eN0baCztUZr.1@.68a448fa or http://www.macfixit.com/
    Both are great places if your stuck with a problem.
    Also, people are reporting network trouble with Apples latest Java update. Although it doesn't sound like the problem your having.
    Best of luck.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Uncle Sam,

Thanks. Its a strange one. Its not hugely an inconvenience. It is probably some setting i am missing or need to change. I'll try posting on those 2, I got another Forum name I think its everymac.com. SOmeone will probalbly have the answer.

Regds
    Dil

Advertisement