Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAM upgrades for an iBook G4

• 14-09-2005 7:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I'm getting myself an iBook G4 (14", 1.42Ghz), but am not paying Apple's scandalous prices.

Anyway, Crucial memory (&similar) is cheap, but should I get 256mb for ~€35, or 512mb for ~€70?
    I'm asking because I'm not sure if the 512mb (boosting RAM to 1Gig) would be overkill for a Mac w/Tiger OSX (I've heard that they don't need bloated specs like Win XP), and money would be better spent on other hardware.

Any tips appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I'd get as much RAM as possible. OS X is actually fairly heavy on RAM in my experience.
    What will you be doing with the iBook?
    if you're doing any work with photos or dvds that'll be memory intensive.

One more point - there's only one slot in the machine that you can change,
    so if you do get 512 and decide you need to upgrade later, you're going to have to chuck the old module out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'd really be using it for everything: emulation, learning HTML & Java, watching movie files, possibly light movie/music editing.

Although I'll be keeping it for 3-4 years; maybe the extra RAM would be a good investment... I suppose I'll stick to the old "get as much as you can now" school-of-thinking.
    Thanks!

Oh, and any replaced modules would be in the FS section ;) (once I feel like upgrading)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Load up on it :)
    I got 512 (2x256)with my iBook... and I'm thinking of taking out the second 256MB stick and replacing it with a 1GB stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭babypink

oh yes....buy buy buy as much as you can fit in! Although i'm using a 12' PB i've 786MB and runs lovely (was too broke to get the 1Gb stick)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Alright guys,
    after checking again, it turns out I don't need to order either iLife 05 nor an Airport Extreme card as they're built-in, so that gives me enough incentive to get the 512mb... the rest spent on this trackball. ;) Tried it out; much nicer feel than any other makes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I got 512 (2x256)with my iBook... and I'm thinking of taking out the second 256MB stick and replacing it with a 1GB stick.

me too. wish I wasn't a broke student.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I've a pb 12" with 512 ram, wouldn't bother using less, doubt id push for the 1gb stick though, I've a imac g5 20" with 1gb ram, rarely uses more than half that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭minikin

k.o.kiki

http://www.ramdirect.com/vcom/index.php?cPath=2_40_44_108

1gb for €120, prob another €10 for postage. comes from the states - I saved loads & got away without paying vat or customs duty [post, not dhl!!]

Get as much ram as you can afford.

Advertisement