Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf, Passat or Bora ??

• 22-04-2014 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Thinking of buying a vw soon and I'm stuck between buying a golf, passat or bora. I'm going to go for a diesel engine and a car in and around 10 years old.

What are People's opinions and experiences with the different models?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,258 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Bought 100bhp 1.9tdi Bora brand new in 2002. An absolute brilliant car with no trouble bar doorlocks. Checked fuel economy only a few weeks ago and on a round trip to Cork plus sightseeing (550 miles) it returned 58mpg.

Downside is rear legroom and that's it. Upside is Bora would be cheaper to buy than Golf and the bigger Passat needs 130bhp.
    1.9 engine is bulletproof if serviced correctly and using the correct oil. Gladly answer any other questions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's a bit like which shade of grey do you prefer really. Bora is a Golf with a boot, Passat is a larger variation of the other two. They all pretty much drive similarly. Young lads tend to prefer the Golfs and Boras for some reason.

Have you driven any of them, do you prefer any particular one over the others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭rwg

Id go with the scirocco

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

rwg wrote: »
    Id go with the scirocco

If you can get one for 04 passat money, I'll have one too.

(I don't want a first or second gen one either)

Bora would be better to drive than the other 2. You said a 10 year old, well early MK5 Golfs are that age and are better all round car than the MK4. Far bigger inside and opt for a comfortline if the finances can stretch.

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you can get one for 04 passat money, I'll have one too.

(I don't want a first or second gen one either)

Ahh, I missed the "10 years old" bit - I'll save me ink for someone with 20k to spend :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

Bora's are by far the ugliest of the three. They're like the deformed boy racer brother of the Golf.

Between a Golf and a Passat is purely down to preference.

Best value out of the lot would be a MkIV tdi Golf.

glued wrote: »
    Bora's are by far the ugliest of the three. They're like the deformed boy racer brother of the Golf.

Between a Golf and a Passat is purely down to preference.

Best value out of the lot would be a MkIV tdi Golf.

That's your opinion, Bora would be the cheapest to buy and so would be the best value and is also better to drive than the Golf.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/articles/2009/03/cars/volkswagen/bora/volkswagen-bora-1-9tdi-car-review

Check ride and handling section

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

A passat, a clean example, is a nicer car than both the golf and bora Imo. An a4 would be a better option though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tafeehan

cheers for all the replies...
    I have been considering audi's aswell. In particular the A3 A4 or A6 models......Audi or VW!!??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭rn

Drive all three, see what you think. I have driven the passat and I have a 08 CL MK V 1.9 TDI with 185k KMs on the clock. And I absolutely love it. Space wise the Golf is at a serious disadvantage. Handling and performance wise, the passat has the disadvantage.

"They" say the MK IV's have better build quality than the MK V, but that the interior space and the handling of the MK V is far superior. I've never had an MK IV so I don't know for sure.

Interestingly the MK VII Golf, while much better looking, also isn't as good handling wise as the MK V. It also has a lot less usable space in the boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

Il sell you my 03 1.6 petrol passat comfortline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

rn wrote: »
    Drive all three, see what you think. I have driven the passat and I have a 08 CL MK V 1.9 TDI with 185k KMs on the clock. And I absolutely love it. Space wise the Golf is at a serious disadvantage. Handling and performance wise, the passat has the disadvantage.

"They" say the MK IV's have better build quality than the MK V, but that the interior space and the handling of the MK V is far superior. I've never had an MK IV so I don't know for sure.

Interestingly the MK VII Golf, while much better looking, also isn't as good handling wise as the MK V. It also has a lot less usable space in the boot.

That is because most MkVII models bar the top spec models have a cheaper suspension set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

tafeehan wrote: »
    cheers for all the replies...
    I have been considering audi's aswell. In particular the A3 A4 or A6 models......Audi or VW!!??

Out of those cars I'd opt for an A4.

Advertisement