Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bringing an uncle home to rest from boston

Options
  • 22-04-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

.an uncle who is terminal............ is there a company or service that do all the paper work to bring him home to rest.................. he has no plot as such.. im just trying to help my family from this end .. cheers guys . he really has no other family here other than myself .......... all away in oz or uk and usa. or passed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

terminal or terminated?, if terminal just fly him over now and set him up in a hospice

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Any undertaker should be able to arrange this.

It might be useful to make arrangements now.

Given that it is international, it might be prudent to agree fees now - undertakers normally expect a delay in payment and may offer a discount for prompt payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MOD

Moved from After Hours

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Spook_ie wrote: »
    terminal or terminated?, if terminal just fly him over now and set him up in a hospice

This is an obvious solution but he may not be well enough to fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭samsclub

yes hes not well to fly and the only family member there can not fly no passport being another problem. hence why i started this tread. i contacted a few funeral parlours . didnt really want to know tbh................

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

OP, to repatriate remains I'd imagine you'd need to organise it from the country he is at the moment. Or get it started there, in accordance with their laws. If there is a local Irish embassy there they may be very helpful for you.

On the irish side, its easier - you engage a funeral director to collect the remains at the airport and arrange the service.

This link might help you get started.

Would cremation and repatriation of ashes be a possibility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭diveout

Contact the archdioscese in Boston and also Irish emmigration support centers. They will knwo what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Hold on, the poor man is still ALIVE! Ye're all talking about bringing a body back to Ireland, not a PERSON.

Samsclub - I really don't know what to say. Is he so ill, that he cannot get on a plane, or is he simply feeble and could be gotton on? The problem however is if he does fly, what will he do in Ireland and who will look after him until the Lord calls him? It's a difficult position for you to be in, with no help from anyone at all.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

ravima wrote: »
    Hold on, the poor man is still ALIVE! Ye're all talking about bringing a body back to Ireland, not a PERSON.

Because presumably the man has been made aware that he is dying and like many old folk, rest easier, knowing that arrangements are in place and that family know their wishes -eg, be brought home to rest in his homeland. This is normal. For all you know, the OP was asked by his terminal relative to help with these arrangments.

My parents bought a plot when they were both in their prime to be laid to rest together when the time comes. Many people near the end are aware they are dying and want to sort out loose ends and wills and funeral arrangements.

In this mans case, if he comes home, he may face fees for hospitals, doctors, treatments as he will have had no prsi built up in recent years, and no one here to nurse him to the end. Hospices and nursing homes are vastly oversubscribed and there are waiting lists for the ones who do qualify. Whereas in Boston, he likely has health insurance that is covering the high costs associated with terminal illness and palliative care in a much better health system.

he passed late last night .. so ive to get my skates on so to speak ..... thanks for all the comments ..............

• Advertisement
  • Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

My condolences for your loss. I hope that everything goes smoothly for you in bringing him home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm really sorry for your loss. I hope you don't have to jump through too many hoops to bring him home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

Sorry for your loss Samsclub. I hope it all goes smoothly for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

Samsclub - my condolences. I will remember him in my prayers later tonight.

Repatriation is now that little bit easier, as he is dead and undertakers, either here in Ireland or in US will be able to arrange everything.

may he rest in peace.

cheers guys means a lot .and i know its all genuine unlike a lot of the people when i lived state side .. one guy even said so sorry hes terminal . but heres my brother in laws card and cell number hes a funeral director give you a good rate . material things in life kill the good honest working humble man.

Advertisement