Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

st patricks guild meeting

Options
  • 08-08-2012 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everybody first time post ,I have meeting with st patricks guild regarding my non identifying information,can i ask name of adoption agency i was placed through,as i suspect i was born in uk,well i have my original baptismal cert which is in latin ,its southwark london,im 52 this is my second attempt,really all over the place as regards my thoughts as 25 years ago same office advised me bm did not want to meet me because of age of children ,thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi fitmar, make a list of questions and bring them with u to meeting.
    ask what u want, a few good ones to ask incase u decide to search urself are.
    where was i born.
    how old was my mother.
    where was she from.
    had she siblings.
    did birthmum give any more babies up for adoption.
    what was her first name.
    when was the last time contact was made.
    good luck....kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 2 roadrunner111

Hi Fitmar,

Did you know that Barnardos run a course called EXPLORING ADOPTION twice a year, next one October 2012 I think. I did it and it really helps sort through all the issues around adoption, well worth a look!

Good Luck with St Patricks Guild.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Hi Fitmar,

Did you know that Barnardos run a course called EXPLORING ADOPTION twice a year, next one October 2012 I think. I did it and it really helps sort through all the issues around adoption, well worth a look!

Good Luck with St Patricks Guild.

I did an early version of this course- back when Nora Gibbons was giving the course herself (that gives you an idea of how old I am :D )
    I'd highly recommend it. I really gives you a perspective of how other people involved in adoption may have been affected by it- often we are only aware of our own feelings- its good to have a grasp of the bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭rinsjwind

Hi Fitmar
    If the meeting is in St Patricks, then the adoption was probably done by them and you were legally adopted here. Many Irish birth mothers went (or more accurately, were sent) to the UK to have their babies but the children were then sent back to good old Holy Catholic Ireland to ensure that they didn't fall into the hands of some godless (or even worse, protestant!!!) english couple : - ).

If have your bap cert, its a fair bet you were born near the church where you were baptised (in Dublin for instance, the Rotunda used the Pro Cathedral, Holles St, Westland Row church etc.) or you even may have been baptised in the hospital (get the latin translated, your local priest should be able to help with that ;-).

It's encouraging that she was found once before and, as her kids are surely grown up by now, SPG should be prepared to try to find and contact her again on your behalf if you want them to either to get background/medical info or arrange for a face to face reunion if that's what both parties want.

Oh yeah, the Barnardos course is well worth doing.

Very best of luck.

Rins

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tinkerbell123

rinsjwind wrote: »
    Hi Fitmar
    If the meeting is in St Patricks, then the adoption was probably done by them and you were legally adopted here. Many Irish birth mothers went (or more accurately, were sent) to the UK to have their babies but the children were then sent back to good old Holy Catholic Ireland to ensure that they didn't fall into the hands of some godless (or even worse, protestant!!!) english couple : - ).

If have your bap cert, its a fair bet you were born near the church where you were baptised (in Dublin for instance, the Rotunda used the Pro Cathedral, Holles St, Westland Row church etc.) or you even may have been baptised in the hospital (get the latin translated, your local priest should be able to help with that ;-).

It's encouraging that she was found once before and, as her kids are surely grown up by now, SPG should be prepared to try to find and contact her again on your behalf if you want them to either to get background/medical info or arrange for a face to face reunion if that's what both parties want.

Oh yeah, the Barnardos course is well worth doing.

Very best of luck.

Rins

Hi I'm thinking of taking part in the course exploring adoption but I'm unsure,if its suites to me as I've recently been reunited with my biological father . the reason I'm thinking of doing it as its been and still is such an emotional roller coaster . Would you recommend it ?

Many thanks :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 christine mc mahon

Left my twin boys in st patrick's in October 1981??? Would love to find them.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Christine, have you contacted the agency you dealt with at the time? Try to find the date of adoption order by writing to agency or Adoption Association of ireland and asking for non identifying info on your children. Specifically ask for the date of adoption order. Then a trip to the GRO should go a long way to helping you find them. One would hope that they were adopted together into the same family so with their date of birth and date of adoption order it should be easy enough to narrow down entries in the adoption records. There is a tracing guide available on adoption rights alliance website which will give instructions as to how to start your search.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Ghekko wrote: »
    There is a tracing guide available on adoption rights alliance website which will give instructions as to how to start your search.

I think that's the same trace guide that's linked here on Boards.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Elizvonne

Christine sending you hugs I would recommend that you contact Barnardos post adoption services. Great support and information Elizvonne

Advertisement