Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Name

Options
  • 24-09-2014 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I know this is not entirely related to development, just been asked as part of a web project to buy a domain name, the customer doesn't have any name in mind but wants something new, catchy, unique etc. the example they gave was Trivago (terribly annoying ads), the core content on the web project centers around children's toys.

Just curious how others would approach this as quite honestly I have no idea on where to start. Do I go down the route of random string generators and see what comes out or do I spend hours writing down names/strings and see if the customer likes any?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

Ziycon wrote: »
    I know this is not entirely related to development, just been asked as part of a web project to buy a domain name, the customer doesn't have any name in mind but wants something new, catchy, unique etc. the example they gave was Trivago (terribly annoying ads), the core content on the web project centers around children's toys.

Just curious how others would approach this as quite honestly I have no idea on where to start. Do I go down the route of random string generators and see what comes out or do I spend hours writing down names/strings and see if the customer likes any?:confused:

May I suggest you take it to the customer, and hammer home the message that they need to have an understanding of what sort of brand they want to create.

Everything else, including domain name, follows from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,321 ✭✭✭jmcc

Write down words associated with the concept. Then start breaking them down into fractions of words and putting them together so that they suggest meaning without having any. If you look at "trivago" for example, it contains 'tri' from trip, 'va' from vacation (very American) and 'go'. This phoneme approach to brand building is even covered in Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_naming

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭adamrooney

I would look at perhaps buying an expired aged domain with good/high Trust & Citation flow score, Page Rank etc. Although it is not always a case of finding one that suits, there are some great advantages to it. There are many sites selling expired domains but if you find one that suits, make sure to research the history of the domain name ie. what kind of content was on it before, pages indexed, and what links etc does it have. If it ticks all the boxes this can be a good way to get going more aggressively on the marketing of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

adamrooney wrote: »
    I would look at perhaps buying an expired aged domain with good/high Trust & Citation flow score, Page Rank etc. Although it is not always a case of finding one that suits, there are some great advantages to it. There are many sites selling expired domains but if you find one that suits, make sure to research the history of the domain name ie. what kind of content was on it before, pages indexed, and what links etc does it have. If it ticks all the boxes this can be a good way to get going more aggressively on the marketing of the site.
    Thanks for that but no need to use an expired domain, page rank etc. doesn't matter much in this instance.

Thanks for that but no need to an expired domain, rank rank etc. doesn't matter much.

Of course a suitable aged domain with a high Trust & Citation flow score can help. Will it be the deciding factor, of course not. But it can be just another small cog in the wheel of SEO. If your trying to rank in a competitive market it can play a small part (off-page SEO), but of course if your building a site about dog training in your local village, yeah it won't matter much. A domain with a high Trust score (and other positive factors) with the search engines will always carry more weight than a brand new domain with no history. Period.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Of course a suitable aged domain with a high Trust & Citation flow score can help. Will it be the deciding factor, of course not. But it can be just another small cog in the wheel of SEO. If your trying to rank in a competitive market it can play a small part (off-page SEO), but of course if your building a site about dog training in your local village, yeah it won't matter much. A domain with a high Trust score (and other positive factors) with the search engines will always carry more weight than a brand new domain with no history. Period.

I see you've swallowed the Majestic SEO approach.

In 2009, Matt Cutts (head of Google Webspam team) told searhcengineland.com's Danny Sullivan:
    There are some domain transfers ( e.g. genuine purchases of companies) where it can make perfect sense for links to transfer. But at the same time it wouldn’t make sense to transfer the links from an expired or effectively expired domain, for example. Google (and probably all search engines) tries to handle links appropriately for domain transfers.

Adding further, he said:
    The sort of stuff our systems would be designed to detect would be things like someone trying to buy expired domains or buying domains just for links.

Has Google now forgotten that there are people still trying this approach?

Graham wrote: »
    I see you've swallowed the Majestic SEO approach.

In 2009, Matt Cutts (head of Google Webspam team) told searhcengineland.com's Danny Sullivan:

Adding further, he said:

Has Google now forgotten that there are people still trying this approach?

It has nothing to do with Majestic SEO I assure you. It is a tool I don't even use. And I never said you should buy an aged Domain sorely for Links - that would be stupid.

I was merely outlining that there can sometimes be benefits to buying an aged domain, but like with most good business decisions do your research on it before buying.

By the way, Matt Cutts says a lot of things, and if you want to believe everything he says, that's fine. Good luck with that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I never said you should buy an aged Domain sorely for Links - that would be stupid.

I agree.
    By the way, Matt Cutts says a lot of things, and if you want to believe everything he says, that's fine. Good luck with that.
    I mostly believe that particular statement because it makes absolute common sense.

Advertisement