Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car trouble

Options
  • 16-07-2014 5:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm driving a 03 Yaris, today while driving in third gear I had hand on gear stick and it slipped into neutral without clutch being engaged it would not go back into gear until I engaged the clutch fully, anybody and ideas is it gearbox or clutch problems I have? :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭toyotaavensis

Since this how is she?
    I dont think this could be the clutch sounds like a gearbox issue to me but it could also be a one off thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Eileen2009

Car is driving fine no problems not sure it is a one off I took it for spin just now and it happened again :( it's due a service I will get mechanic to check it out Gear box = Expensive

Sounds like a gearbox problem or maybe a linkage could be gone.
    How many miles are on the clock?
    Changing the gearbox wont be cheap if needs be.
    Where are you based?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

could be a gearbox issue, or an engine mount or gearbox mount or linkage causing it to hop back into Neutral....... you'll not get the answer here. Your mechanic is your next stop.

I'm based in county galway, there is 60,000 miles on it

• Advertisement

It would be bad if the gearbox has packed up in 60000 miles.
    Are you sure the milage is genuine?
    Have you a good local mechanic who can take a look?

Ya I know someone that can take look, how much €€ ball park? I bought it from reputable garage and clock is digital I got it checked before I bought it so I hope it's genuine

It depends on where you go. I know a very good lad in cork who works restoring classic cars who would charge about 150 plus the price of the replacement gearbox which can be anything from 100 to 400 from a scrap yard.

If you want to get your own repaired it costs even more.

Best not to worry about it til a mechanic has a look. If it is a linkage needs to be adjusted then 20 quid might sort it.

Thanks, it's booked for service this Friday I will get it checked out. Is it safe to keep driving it ?

I dont think you can do any real damage as it is. just be careful. Dont drop from fourth to third overtaking and then be in neutral and end up crashing.

If you can bring your trip to the garage forward it could be good though.

• Advertisement

I will let you know what happens, fingers crossed it's just linkage, but judging by my luck this year it won't be cheap easy fix :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lavelle15

You have no problem with your gearbox or clutch. Most cars you are able to pull into neutral while driving without clutching in, that is normal, nothing wrong! You just managed to pull it back into neutral without realising but there is nothing wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Maybe I'm missing something here but like lavelle15 says, most cars you can slip into neutral without pressing the clutch. As your hand was on the clutch, you may have accidentally put it into neutral.
    Now, trying to put it back in gear without pressing the clutch, that is where the damage can be done........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Eileen2009 wrote: »
    Car is driving fine no problems not sure it is a one off I took it for spin just now and it happened again :( it's due a service I will get mechanic to check it out Gear box = Expensive

Was your hand on it this time? Is it so your putting it into neutral without pressing the clutch? or is it popping out of gear and into neutral of it's own accord?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 478 ✭✭Stella Virgo

Eileen2009 wrote: »
    I'm driving a 03 Yaris, today while driving in third gear I had hand on gear stick and it slipped into neutral without clutch being engaged it would not go back into gear until I engaged the clutch fully, anybody and ideas is it gearbox or clutch problems I have? :(
    what do you think the clutch pedal is there for :confused: how the **** do you expect to get it into gear without pressing the clutch pedal first:confused: there is nothing wrong with your car...please learn how to drive properly,before you totally wreck the gearbox :rolleyes:

I assume that the OP didnt pull the gear stick into neutral - it just popped out of gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

what do you think the clutch pedal is there for :confused: how the **** do you expect to get it into gear without pressing the clutch pedal first:confused: there is nothing wrong with your car...please learn how to drive properly,before you totally wreck the gearbox :rolleyes:

ah don't be so upset sure we all make mistakes , that's how the old folk said we learn best.slipping out of gear once ,ok. second time ?,sure the mechanic will sort you out no bother ,some good toyota ones around Galway, Roscommon anyways.gearboxes are liable to give bother but replacement should be reasonable in breakers.

Advertisement