Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frontline - 09/05 Rural Ireland!

Options
  • 09-05-2011 10:50pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭

A show dedicated to pubs down the country not opening every day or shops closing down, what a load of shoite.

Do they realise we're in financial meltdown?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Ming is a rock of sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Lapin wrote: »
    Ming is a rock of sense.

Yeah haha!! 9 million euros worth of fruit and veg can be grown locally, has roscommon become the south of spain?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

You obviously didn't listen to a word he said.

Lapin wrote: »
    You obviously didn't listen to a word he said.

I did, I heard he did a survey on what products they could produce locally, 9 million euros of subsituting foreign imports with local fruit and veg. I am fascinated how he established that figure as the supermarkets wouldn't release that info and Roscommon isnt a well know horticulture part of this country is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Yeah haha!! 9 million euros worth of fruit and veg can be grown locally, has roscommon become the south of spain?

Actually, Roscommon, and any other part of Ireland, is far more suited to growing fruit and veg than the south of Spain. What planet do you live on?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Simon Coveney is doing a good job.

Actually, Roscommon, and any other part of Ireland, is far more suited to growing fruit and veg than the south of Spain. What planet do you live on?

Rush, you know that part of Ireland that produces a large % of horticulture production in Ireland. Spain only has water issues, otherwise we herelacksunlight and soil conditions here are poor. Parts of the med have 3 potato seasons in a year, so how could roscommon match that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Rush, you know that part of Ireland that produces a large % of horticulture production in Ireland. Spain only has water issues, otherwise we herelacksunlight and soil conditions here are poor. Parts of the med have 3 potato seasons in a year, so how could roscommon match that?

Ming could help with his knowledge of grasshouses...

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

The woman going on about buying local produce direct from the farmers...

Pat: "Yes yeah you can also fish trout straight out of a pond as well, now let's move on"

Pat is some arse. The look on that poor woman's face.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Shocking figures. Rural Ireland is indeed dying, the only thing keeping it going is subsidies, factories and the odd spark of entepreneurship.

People need to get out of their 4x4's, get out of Tescos and start buying local produce locally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And where are people supposed to be buying this local produce exactly? I sure as hell ain't driving 3 miles up the road to buy my eggs, then another 5 to get milk etc. etc. Blame the Spars & the Centras of this world if you want to have a go at franchise shops, not the Tescos. Big, chain supermarkets have a place in this world, and can't be totally blamed for the decline in local products.

If you want to promote the sale of local produce, then first and foremost you'd have to bring back the corner shops & natural stockists of this local produce, but Centra / Spar have driven out the independent corner-stores to an extent where I doubt there's such a thing as a local corner grocers anymore.

pixelburp wrote: »
    I sure as hell ain't driving 3 miles up the road to buy my eggs

Well cycle then lazybones! ;) I travel to support my fishmonger, butcher, veg farmer, don't see why you can't. You need to take a leaf out of Dublin. And, stop blaming everyone else, the natural stockists went under cause local people wouldn't support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

jayteecork wrote: »
    The woman going on about buying local produce direct from the farmers...

Pat: "Yes yeah you can also fish trout straight out of a pond as well, now let's move on"

Pat is some arse. The look on that poor woman's face.

I noticed that also, He is too dismissive and was rushing people all night

One of the lads in the audience who was representing some Gaeltacht area in Cork, he was blowing on about there being only one petrol pump in the area now and it's only open during business hours etc. I worked with him years ago in Dublin, texted one of my old work pals, he's still working there, married and living in Dublin area. I thought that a tad strange, he's not even living in the area anymore and hasn't done so in the best part of a decade if not more.

RoverJames wrote: »
    he's still working there, married and living in Dublin area. I thought that a tad strange, he's not even living in the area anymore and hasn't done so in the best part of a decade if not more.

Yet he still takes the time to go on national TV and highlight the problems in the area he grew up in. What's the problem there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Well cycle then lazybones! I travel to support my fishmonger, butcher, veg farmer, don't see why you can't. You need to take a leaf out of Dublin. And, stop blaming everyone else, the natural stockists went under cause local people wouldn't support them.

I'm not blaming anyone, you're the one getting high and mighty with quips about 4x4s, accusing people of laziness, and assuming what works for you works for everyone else. Not everyone's in a position to juggle a job & make commutes to and from disparate farms for simple food items.

I'm from the country myself, born and reared so I've watched the slow erosion of the small Irish town with my own eyes (and now faster erosion thanks to the economic implosion). I can assure you, most people were not cycling through the countryside to get their sundry items; they were buying from their local grocers, local corner stores, or the markets that regularly appeared in these towns. These were who the farmers etc. were supplying to. All of the above are now largely extinct in many towns. Those "power" vacuums were taken over by the new small shop - the Centras & Spars. They're franchises allright, and owned by locals, but have almost no local produce in stock

Not everyone's in a position to juggle a job & make commutes to and from disparate farms for simple food items.

Well, there you go. People flooded in to these shops to buy this produce. They shunned their own neighbours by doing so. You should see a Dublin city centre butcher on a Saturday, there are queues of people buying Irish beef, lamb, venison, rabbit etc... The fishmongers are the same.

Well, there you go. People flooded in to these shops to buy this produce. They shunned their own neighbours by doing so. You should see a Dublin city centre butcher on a Saturday, there are queues of people buying Irish beef, lamb, venison, rabbit etc... The fishmongers are the same.
    Did you even read the rest of my post? The death of the corner shop removed the choice of the commuter to buy from their "neighbour". Nobody was buying direct from the backyard of their farmers to begin with. Some people seem to think we used to live in a fantasy Ireland.
    As for butchers, even the major chain supermarkets stock Irish meat. In fact most will tell you what farm they came from.

As for butchers, even the major chain supermarkets stock Irish meat. In fact most will tell you what farm they came from.

Talk to any supplier off the record about how the supermarkets treat them. Believe me, they screw you to the last, this affects quality. Better off for everyone buying from your local butcher.

Yet he still takes the time to go on national TV and highlight the problems in the area he grew up in. What's the problem there?

Well I imagine local business must find it hard to stay open if the locals are living nearly 200 miles away. I also find it strange why was it not revealed on the show his place of residence, every one else mentioned they were living in the area they were speaking about.

• Advertisement
Advertisement