Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE's Punky: the little girl with Down syndrome

Options
  • 09-05-2011 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Well they're clearly trying to make sure everyone knows it's not a big deal and there's no need to feel different... So lets draw special attention to the fact that she lives a normal life despite her differences which we'll make extra clear that the audience knows she has. But don't make it define her or anything...
    AND casual ageism! Bravo RTE.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 slipperypete

It's a pretty shocking ad. You don't really expect that at the end, but it's a show for toddlers so there's not really room for subtlety is there? It's a really good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Laserhead wrote: »
    lets draw special attention to the fact that she lives a normal life despite her differences which we'll make extra clear that the audience knows she has. But don't make it define her or anything...
    AND casual ageism! Bravo RTE.

What he said. I see where they're comin from, but they went too strong with it I think

I don't get why couldnt add her as a character to an existing programme

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 squealster

Not since Channel 4's infamous "Mini Pops" has there been a kids show that was, however well intentioned, so lacking in self-awareness.

Presumably because such a simplisiticly drawn style doesn't allow us to distinguish physical features of Down's Syndrome, she has to state that she has it. This term is probably going to be missed by most pre-schoolers as is her condition, resulting in no increase in their understanding/empathy. There is little or no differential in story lines from most other pre-school programmes, so again the presumed aim is lost.

A much better approach is that already shown by Cbeebies' "Something Special" which features real children with Down's Syndrome and Cerebal Palsy. Their conditions are very visible but the host interacts with them well and the audience can experience the kids reaction on a much more human, rather than cartoon, level.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

ha ha ha.

oh jesus, i thought the yanks were bad at this sort of stuff back in the 80s but that has "comittee think" stamped all over it.

this will go down as a facepalmer in years to come.

:):):)

Advertisement