Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Done System Diagnostic And HDD Got Wiped.

Options
  • 29-08-2015 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hi, I decided to press F2 when my PC was booting so that I could do a system diagnostic because my HDD seemed to be acting strangely. When I done it nothing showed up so then I booted the PC up and everything was gone, the only thing left was my software and the desktop icons of the programs that I had previously installed. Can I get all that's lost back? Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

How much space is showing as free on your hdd? Is there much of a discrepancy from before
    this incident?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭SW98

mordeith wrote: »
    How much space is showing as free on your hdd? Is there much of a discrepancy from before
    this incident?

I'm not to sure what I had before, but there's 821GB of 905GB.

SW98 wrote: »
    I'm not to sure what I had before, but there's 821GB of 905GB.

So around 80GB. I'd imagine you had more data than that. What is missing, images, music video?

So around 80GB. I'd imagine you had more data than that. What is missing, images, music video?

everything, downloads, documents, music, videos

everything, downloads, documents, music, videos

Did you have your own specific login? Try going to C: Users and see what's listed there

EDIT: What diagnostics did you run from the BIOS?

• Advertisement

Did you have your own specific login? Try going to C: Users and see what's listed there

EDIT: What diagnostics did you run from the BIOS?

Ah ha, all my files are in C: users, but how to I get them back to this PC as they were before and is there a way of getting my start menu back the way it was so I dont have to manually add what I want again.

Ah ha, all my files are in C: users, but how to I get them back to this PC as they were before and is there a way of getting my start menu back the way it was so I dont have to manually add what I want again.

You could try a System Restore.

You could try a System Restore.

OK??? Had to restart my PC for something and when it booted back up, it was exactly how it was before I done the diagnostic. All is good now, I was not very happy when it happened. Thanks very much for your help.

OK??? Had to restart my PC for something and when it booted back up, it was exactly how it was before I done the diagnostic. All is good now, I was not very happy when it happened. Thanks very much for your help.

Cool. Glad it's sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Most likely your User profile data was corrupt, and windows started with a temporary profile.

Probably sorted OK, but you should run disk check from windows.
    My Computer, Right Cick C:, Properties, Tools, Check Now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement