Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows XP home edition

Options
  • 28-08-2015 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Please be kind to me. I'm an oldie, reasonably tech-savvy. I have the XP home edition on my desktop, I'm told it should be replaced. Can someone tell me by what? It must be easy to install. My PC is used for web-surfing, storing photos from my camera, e-mails and occasionally to download small amounts of text.
    Some questions:
    Will I need to remove the Xp?
    Do I need to transfer photos to a memory stick before installing a new system?
    What about passwords and user names - will they transfer?
    Will I need to have McAfee or similar with a new system?
    I appreciate all help and suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Harry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

noddyone2 wrote: »
    Will I need to remove the Xp? No, the new one will be installed over
    Do I need to transfer photos to a memory stick before installing a new system? Not necessarily, but its a good idea
    What about passwords and user names - will they transfer? For what? Onlime sites e.g. Boards, Facebook and Gmail won't change. If you've one for the laptop itself, you can set a new one during the install
    Will I need to have McAfee or similar with a new system? It's probably a good idea, a solution such as Malwarebytes would be better in my opinion

As per a new system, Windows 10 is the newest solution. Windows 7 would also be good, it is quite similar to XP, you shouldn't have very much trouble adapting.

Installing the new system, I think making a backup of your photos and other files you'd like to keep and asking a more tech savvy family member, neighbour, friend or an employee in a local computer store might be the most hassle free experience for yourself.

If you're reasonably tech savvy towards being able to download and install Windows from a USB then by all means take a stab yourself, the users here will be able to provide any links or info you'll need, once you've the confidence and general know-how to do so, its fairly simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

First, get a hold of a spare hard disk drive, that will fit your pc. This will allow you to keep the current setup, that you will need to go back to at some stage.

Next check all the devices on your computer, get surfing and find the drivers for your new version of windows.
    It is most unlikely that you will be able to get complete correct drivers for your computer for windows 7. Usually versions are available that can be made to work, but its hard work, will take considerable time, hairs and fingernails.

Windows XP is still a good operating system. Its not like a worn out car, it still works.
    Will I need to remove the Xp? - No
    Do I need to transfer photos to a memory stick before installing a new system? - YES
    What about passwords and user names - will they transfer? - NO
    Will I need to have McAfee or similar with a new system? - NO

if you have survived without an antivirus so far, then you don't need one. (disclaimer!)

whizbang wrote: »
    Windows XP is still a good operating system. Its not like a worn out car, it still works.

In the same way Windows 98 still works.

It's a terrible idea to keep using XP if you need to access the internet. Not chastising the OP here, simply saying that XP should not be recommended, users should not be told its still a fine OS, and users should not be given the option to revert back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Does your old PC have 2 GB of RAM installed, if not, is it capable of being upgraded to 2 GB of RAM?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

You had better check the spec of your pc, most with Windows xp when bought had 512mb to 1gb Ram. Not even close to enough, Win7 needs 4 gb of Ram to run, you could get away with 2gb, but its going to be quite slow, esp with a single core 733mhz (approx) processor.
    Your printer and scanner may not be compatible with newer operating systems, you may also have some programs that to want to reload that may not be compatible.

Realistically, stay as you are, or buy a new laptop, you can pick one up for approx €299

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

In the main anti virus is a waste of resources. In the vast majority of cases a virus is installed as a result of the stupid behaviour of the user. I make no apologies for that because for some reason when it comes to online behaviour too many users do things they wouldn't dream of doing in real life. The online environment is not some virtual reality game with no real consequences and a reset button.

I have accessed and use the internet from shortly after it's inception. I've never used AV and I have never had a virus. I also still have a amongst other newer and more powerful machines a very old laptop which runs XP faster than the day I bought it. The first thing I did after buying it was to reformat the drive and install a retail version of the OS. Computers do nor slow down with age the users just fill them up with junk.

Over the years I have cleaned up many machines for relatives, friends, neighbours and clients they have all had three things in common.

1) A fully patched OS.
    2) An up-to-date AV.
    3) An operator who turned off common sense when they turned on the computer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

whizbang wrote: »
    First, get a hold of a spare hard disk drive, that will fit your pc. This will allow you to keep the current setup, that you will need to go back to at some stage.
    old_aussie wrote: »
    Does your old PC have 2 GB of RAM installed, if not, is it capable of being upgraded to 2 GB of RAM?

I expect both these questions will possible make the current PC redundant. It's going to need an IDE HDD and most likely the first generation of DDR ram. At a stretch DDR2 which is expensive and can be hard to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Hi folks,
    Please be kind to me. I'm an oldie, reasonably tech-savvy.[..].

I'd say you should be fine with linux. You can try it without installing anything.
    As you're win XP user I'd recommend this: https://ubuntu-mate.org/

You can download it here https://ubuntu-mate.org/vivid/ , burn CD, start your PC from the CD and test if you like it.

Message to the linux geeks: anyone in Wexford to help with migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Thanks to all for the replies.
    FSL: Can you tell me what this ''stupid behaviour is? I ask so that I don't do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

FSL: Can you tell me what this ''stupid behaviour is? I ask so that I don't do the same.

Basically clicking on any link you're not sure of, or installing software from unverifiable sources, or cliking on those popups you get saying "Your PC is infected. Click here to remove the virus".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Anytime I come across a computer infection, it is always down to the end-user doing one of the following:
    • Clicking links in emails
    • Downloading free software that comes bundled with toolbars, browser hijackers and countless other infections
    • Clicking ads on searches/webpages that lead to infected webpages/downloads

Naturally, there are many other ways to get infected but if you avoid the above, and browse/download responsibly, then you should be okay. A lot of infections these days are designed to make the creators money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

If you're reasonably tech savvy towards being able to download and install Windows from a USB then by all means take a stab yourself, the users here will be able to provide any links or info you'll need, once you've the confidence and general know-how to do so, its fairly simple.

You will need to make the usb bootable... If you want to do it this way then follow the instructions here to make the usb bootable, it's handy to have the operating system on usb for sure...

http://www.intowindows.com/bootable-usb/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi folks,
    Please be kind to me. I'm an oldie, reasonably tech-savvy. I have the XP home edition on my desktop, I'm told it should be replaced. Can someone tell me by what? It must be easy to install. My PC is used for web-surfing, storing photos from my camera, e-mails and occasionally to download small amounts of text.
    Some questions:
    Will I need to remove the Xp?
    Do I need to transfer photos to a memory stick before installing a new system?
    What about passwords and user names - will they transfer?
    Will I need to have McAfee or similar with a new system?
    I appreciate all help and suggestions.
    Thank you,
    Harry.

Hey Harry,

Simple question, how old is your PC? Any idea how much RAM you have installed?

Would be a lot easier to answer your questions with this information - an XP system wouldn't generally be running more than 1GB RAM which would be a problem for any modern Windows OS.

If you're around 1GB RAM, you'd either need to look at a) upgrading to a minimum of 2GB to run a modern Windows or b) consider a free Linux-based OS.

The benefits of Linux compared to Windows would be - much lighter on system resources, free, and no antivirus needed (if you're responsible and careful on the internet). Downside - slight learning curve.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭noddyone2

Hi Propjoe,
    It's 9 years old, I don't know how much RAM is installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Hi Propjoe,
    It's 9 years old, I don't know how much RAM is installed.

Cheers!

Could be a challenge to get a modern Windows OS running smoothly on that machine. A lot of people are still running XP but its not recommended, due to the fact that there's no more security updates for it - meaning that its not really secure to use on the internet anymore.

If that was my PC I'd probably look at a Linux based alternative but if you're not comfortable with doing that, you might need to either upgrade the RAM or invest in a new machine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If you want to know what's in it, look up a tool called PC Wizard. It displays that information a bit neater for people not used to getting into the guts of their PC.

Advertisement