Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What setup do I need?

Options
  • 21-08-2015 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've currently got a Dell 5150 desktop PC which is running a dual boot system (Lubuntu & WinXP).

I want to upgrade to something a bit more streamlined. I'm not sure if I need a desktop, laptop, tablet or something in between.

I envisage myself using it to work from home - so I would like the ability to (or upgrade to have) output to 1 or 2 monitors (preferably HD quality). For this type of work I would want to use a normal keyboard and mouse (as opposed to normal laptop keyboards - which I dislike for continuous usage) - I appreciate that I can get wireless mice/keyboards, but the suggestions need to have the inputs to handle them, hence why specifically mentioned.

My general usage involves nothing more than could be achieved with a laptop/tablet/desktop with HD quality screen being a nice update from my current setup. This would involve general surfing and some programming.

In terms of storage, I'm not sure but 1Tb in the short term would be more than sufficient. In the long term if this is not adequate I think I would opt to turen the 5150 into some type of NAS system, if possible (is it possible?).

On holidays a comfortable sized lightweight and robust laptop/tablet would be ideal as I would use this for booking trips/accommodation/communication.

I've seen some laptops with removable screens, but I've no idea about the robustness of these solutions and whether it is the best option for me. Are there any type of these that are better than the others.

Are desktops now only for gamers? Most companies I know seem to be switching (or switched) to a Citrix style setup.

What are the best brands to be looking at?

Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Your requirements are pretty basic. It seems to me that a laptop with a USB docking station for screen/keyboard etc etc would be the best option. Such docking stations are bought separately from the laptop, and work best with USB 3, (which most laptops will have these days.)

I reckon your shopping list should look as follows:

13.3" laptop, light with good battery
    24" HD monitor (these are cheap ~100 euro should get you one)
    USB docking station (Got my dad one of these a couple of years back, i'll have to look at the models available)
    Keybooard + mouse.

And that's it. It all depends on your budget really!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Thanks - that is the conclusion I was coming to myself. I take it that for my travels etc, that a standard tablet would be better than one of the laptops with detachable screens?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Thanks - that is the conclusion I was coming to myself. I take it that for my travels etc, that a standard tablet would be better than one of the laptops with detachable screens?

It all depends on what you want. To be honest though, from what you said, on trips, you need a device that can get you online, do emails, perhaps skype etc. Obviously your laptop would suit these needs, but an android tablet would also do this. However, I fear that we're already spending a good bit of cash already on your home setup, so perhaps it would be best to say to use the laptop for this purpose for now!

So as for docking station:

Anker docking station: €125

And an option for a screen:

Asus 24" monitor: €145

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

An alternative to those docking stations is getting a monitor with a built in USB hub lie the dell ultrasharps, and plugging your keyboard and mouse (and LAN adapter if required) into the monitor. Leaves you just one usb and video cable to connect to the laptop when you work at the desk.

The USB docks put a small load on the CPU, as it isnt using the graphics processor for the display.

I've been looking online at a few laptops.

I was thinking of something along the following spec:
      • Win 10 (Preference would be a dual boot system - not sure if it can be bought this was as new).
      • 15.6 - 17.3 screen (HD)
      • Intel i3 or i5 Processor
      • SSD >=500Mb - Is this a necessity - I could get an external drive, but I'm not sure if I would get frustrated with having to connect it or bring it with me/lose it. I think the slimness and weight saving of the SSD is appealing, but is it worthwhile?
      • USB 3.0 ports
      • SD/Multi Card reader (for photography)

As I intend to do a small amount of photo editing, is there anything else I need to add to my spec?
      I also intend to puchase a new camera - probably a Panasonic TZ70. Would it be best getting an all in quote from somewhere like PC World etc or should I purchase separately?

Where is the best online sites to look for laptops?
      Are there any good selecter sites that help narrow down options?
      Any brands to stick to (or avoid)?

Thanks.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

15.6 - 17.3 screen

laptops at this size are designed really for desks and not really portability
      you would need a 13" or 14" for portability and then an external monitor(s) for your home setup

I've thought a bit more about this and the thought of travellign with a laptop is too much. I think a small 7" tablet would be a better option.

I'm currently looking at getting a laptop with a 5th Gen Intel i5 processor - 4th Gen would suffice too. I found these:

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/dell_vostro_3549__i5-5200u_2.2ghz__3mb__4gb_1x4gb_1600mhz__500gb_sata_5.4k__3549-8543/version.asp

http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/hewlett-packard-hp-250-core-i5-5200u-2.2ghz-4gb-500gb-dvd-sm-15.6-windows-n0y97es/version.asp

But am not sure of where else to go for good deals. Any suggestions?

Both of the above laptops have max RAM of 8Gb. Is that sufficient?

Most of the new machines I've seen have 16Gb maximum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

unless you are running something memory intensive like PhotoShop then 8gb is fine even for gaming

Advertisement