Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are gensets in the future for IE locos?

• 13-05-2014 5:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭

Interesting item in the Annual Report:
    Regarding the Automatic Shut-down/Re-start of Locomotive engines, a viable way of moving forward with this could not be found and this has now been overtaken by other developments. The possibility of replacing the 20 to 40-year old 2-stroke engines with smaller modern efficient engines, with automatic shutdown provided as standard, is now being considered. A feasibility study is planned for early 2014. This study will be aided by an (Energy Service Company)
    Presumably there are some EU deadlines on cleaning up the 645 and 710 fleets that are too pricey to deal with head on?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,139 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

dowlingm wrote: »
    Interesting item in the Annual Report:Presumably there are some EU deadlines on cleaning up the 645 and 710 fleets that are too pricey to deal with head on?

would they really have to replace the 645 and 710 engines though? those engines would probably go on forever, its probably more about fuel savings rather then EU emmitians rules (anyway i thought such rules were for new build locos only)

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

Advertisement