Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mallow automatic ticket barriers.

Options
  • 06-05-2014 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭

Looking at these the other day it occurred to me that they and the ramp beyond all lead to where the footbridge used to be....would it not have been better to have installed the barriers to the left as you enter the station (rather than the right) and thus have a more direct route to the new footbridge or simply to have reversed the direction of the ramp.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭fabvinny

you mean do something that would make sense???? no,not our IE!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Now I could be wrong, maybe there wasn't room, but looking at it, I think there would have been

• Registered Users Posts: 15,744 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

That assumes that everyone is going to want to cross over the footbridge to board, not always the case.
    There's far worse things about Mallow station, tbh.

not so....if the ramp faced the other way towards the footbridge, then the people wanting the down platform would still be on the down platform. Given that 50% of the Main Line services and most of the Kerry services start from the up side I think it would be reasonable for the ramp to face the footbridge.

In fairness to Mallow Station, I don't see much else wrong with it

corktina wrote: »
    In fairness to Mallow Station, I don't see much else wrong with it

The attempts at putting up decorations every Xmas...the old shop windows blocked up with flaking child-like murals...the cringey slapped together Thomas 'display' at the Cork end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nothing wrong with Mallow save for the removal of goods facilities, Fastrack, mail, buffet, 90 :D, and the ridiculous artwork (?) that is the rotting remains of the Cork breakdown crane. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7208/6937792263_20021da047_z.jpg

90 is far better off where it is now, as opposed to the activity centre/climbing frame that it served as on the Fermoy bay, should have happened ages ago.
    As regards the crane, it's not much use practically...either have it as it is now or break it up.

Better off where it yes, but it would be better if there was a Cork location to display it and a National Rail Museum to repatriate all the items CIE sent North, even if it were in Mullingar. Still we have 36, stuffed in a corner in Kent , the nations only preserved Loco I believe.

Don't get me wrong, they are well looked after and it's better than nothing, but not too many Countries give away priceless historic items.

The Nordies/uk treat rail heritage far better than we could ever do in the 'Free State' (with the exception of the Foyle Valley debacle)

Ironic considering how much NI was denuded of railways. I don't we'll ever get a national transport museum with a combination of one-man band operations, disinterested public, apathetic politicians and state bodies...that the UFTM would give the bulk of their collection away is very much wishful thinking. Anyway shure we're all one big happy island now(?) and it's not a million miles away.

we've feck all to put in a Museum now anyway. :-(

• Advertisement
Advertisement