Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NFC Tags

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

DAMN YOU EBAY!!!! (and by eBay I mean me)

Just ordered two sets by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

nedd wrote: »
    DAMN YOU EBAY!!!! (and by eBay I mean me)

Just ordered two sets by mistake.

For how much?
    I could take the spare ones....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Ordered the ones that Listermint recommended.

Think I'll only need 3 for day to day use. Wonder what mischief I can get upto with the spare 2....

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

1K tags will not run with Android ?

Is this correct or am I just going potty again?

D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,713 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Dummy wrote: »
    1K tags will not run with Android ?

Is this correct or am I just going potty again?

D.

im not sure if you looked at my post, but ive already had 1K tags for 3 months (on android)

hope that answers your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fanatec

stackeye wrote: »
    I got 5 tags today from airnfc, I'm going to use one in the car and one beside the bed, I use an app called NFC task launcher, it allows you to set two lists of commands and you toggle between them on the one tag,
    Mr E wrote: »
    Can they be found in regular shops here, or do you have to order them online?

Airnfc seem to be the only place in the country that sell the tags. I ordered 10 tags a couple of weeks ago and they came in 4 days.

I'm using the NFC TagWriter by NXP to program but I might start using NFC Task Launcher since they recently made it free.

Just a quick question for anyone with tags, how near do they work? Do you have to touch the phone off the tag?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

mik_da_man wrote: »
    Just a quick question for anyone with tags, how near do they work? Do you have to touch the phone off the tag?

Just about. Theyre designed for close proximity so its about an inch or so

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

I have 1 in work for my work profile settings (volume off, vibrate on etc)
    1 in my car holder for car mode and change a couple settings
    1 for leaving the house & 1 on my bedside table too

the htc one x got a car mode, and i can use llama for profile settings.

I have a one x but not even used NFC or don't have reason to for the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

silly question maybe, but if you stick a tag to your car dock, wont it be constantly scanning the NFC tag since its in close proximity? I've never used NFC before so maybe its something obvious i'm missing.

The_B_Man wrote: »
    silly question maybe, but if you stick a tag to your car dock, wont it be constantly scanning the NFC tag since its in close proximity? I've never used NFC before so maybe its something obvious i'm missing.

No it reads only once, (entering the zone) and then you have to exit.

When you reenter the 'zone' it tags again (be it off or on depending on your settings)

But there is no constant 'in the zone' tagging.

mik_da_man wrote: »
    For how much?
    I could take the spare ones....

yeah I don't think I will need 20 tags. When I get the second set I will let you know.

I will PM you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Need to find somebody else with NFC so I can try out Beam.

Also tempted to try and replicate my luas card xD

I don't think replicating RFID cards using NFC is possible. I'm open to correction here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

ED E wrote: »
    Need to find somebody else with NFC so I can try out Beam.

Also tempted to try and replicate my luas card xD

I guess what needs to happen is Leap to release an app that can recognise your phone (as a card) and you can just top it up?

Surely you can't just replicate them -otherwise NFC wouldn't be touted to replace chip + pin cards

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭swampy353

I don't think replicating RFID cards using NFC is possible. I'm open to correction here.
    You're right NFC runs at 15.37mhz where RFID runs at 125mhz

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Well considering my XS can read my smartcard I would have to assume that the system is NFC based.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

RFID runs at 125kHz or 13.56MHz. The SIII will only read the 13.56MHz ones

OK, so some tags have arrived and before I start i have a question for people who have used them.

Firstly can i re-write a tag?

Secondly i want to do the following:
    Swipe Tag: Turn On Wifi, Turn Phone to Silent.
    Swipe the Same Tag: Turn Off Wifi, turn phone off silent.

can I do this with one tag or do i need two tags? One for when i get into work, and one for when i leave work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

First off you don't program tags. Instead you get your phone to read the tag id, which is fixed, and respond to the tag in a predetermined way.

There are apps in the market that will do this for you
    OK, so some tags have arrived and before I start i have a question for people who have used them.

Firstly can i re-write a tag?

Secondly i want to do the following:
    Swipe Tag: Turn On Wifi, Turn Phone to Silent.
    Swipe the Same Tag: Turn Off Wifi, turn phone off silent.

can I do this with one tag or do i need two tags? One for when i get into work, and one for when i leave work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It depends what app you're using. NFC task launcher writes to the tag to tell it what to do whereas the tasker plugins read the serial number of the tag and set the action based on that - no writing needed.

Its easier to set up a switch condition with NFC task launcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I learn something new every day. Thanks

elderlemon wrote: »
    First off you don't program tags. Instead you get your phone to read the tag id, which is fixed, and respond to the tag in a predetermined way.

I'm using NFC Task Launcher so it does program the tag. there is 35bytes of data available to be written.

Well by program, i think he means write so in effect you are programming a response into the tag.

So he is correct.

This app (NFC Task Launcher) has this in their description.

"Because the commands are written to the tag there is no service to sign up for and they work on *any* device with the app installed."

Yes, you program the tag with your phone, and anyone with an NFC phone and an NFC app enabled can read them. Its fairly simple

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

http://kimtag.com/s/nfc_tags

I never had a chance to do it, but looks like some info can be stored on a tag. Can someone with hands-on experience clarify that?

PrzemoF wrote: »

http://kimtag.com/s/nfc_tags

I never had a chance to do it, but looks like some info can be stored on a tag. Can someone with hands-on experience clarify that?

Well surely as the tags are advertised as having memory means they store the commands?
    That was my understanding anyway...

OK, so i am using the tags right now. Like I mentioned there is memory on the tag that can be written to. Each command is only small so you can fit a good few on it.

You can re-write the tags.

Set up Tasks on the app as follows:
    Task Arrive in work:
    turn on wifi / Turn phone to vibrate

Task Leave Work:
    Turn off wifi / turn phone to normal volume / open Music app.

create a new Switch tag that when scanned will run the first task, when scanned again will run the second task.

brilliant so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

if they work as well as the 'Touch to Share' on the GS3, NFC tags will be on my shopping list fir sure .

I can think of about ten places I could stick em for automated changes.

Advertisement