Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canada: Irish In Calgary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Hi guys,

Looking for advice on accomodation. Me and my partner will be arriving in Calgary in Oct and have been on Craigslist, kiiji, rentfaster.ca etc etc and hav sent off a few tester emails to see some feedback.

How would anyone recommend getting a place? Will landlords hold a place for us in Oct (I doubt)... B Is it trust worthy to use these sites now as we wont be arriving for a few months. Is it jsut best to book a cheap motel/hotel for a week and have a look at palces when we arrive then? Im pretty keen to have somewhere to stay but as you can imagein using a website to rent a palce without having the comfort of visiting the plae is a bit daunting.

Anyone recommend using a letting agency or know any good landlords? we've been looking at places in the NW mostly seem cheap enough and good links to downtown for jobs.

Any help would be appreciated and lood forward to getting there

• Registered Users Posts: 17 IrishInCalgary

Best thing is to get on kijiji a couple of days before you come over and line up some viewings. I cant imagine any landlord holding a place for you when they havent met you - in fact i'd be very wary of any who actually offered to do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Hi ,
    There seems to be a good few on here in Calgary . I am hoping to move to there soon . Whats the story with accommodation there. I was thinking a hostel or some sort of short term reasonably priced apartments to get started.
    Doesnt seem to be alot of these options .
    Any advice or past experiences would be greatly appreciated .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Not many good places for short term in Calgary. Only real options are to search Kijiji just before you come over for temp rental or stay in a hostel.
    Think there's only a couple of Hostels in the city. Wicked and HI are the two i know about. Motels are very expensive and not at all luxurious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I've heard that Calgary is very spread out. So, is life hard if you don't have a car?

Also, how bad an idea would it be to move there coming into winter?

I've been in -20 here (Seoul) last winter if that makes any difference? I guess I mean more from a finding work point of view. Is it still easy to find work going into winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭kiwijbob

I've heard that Calgary is very spread out. So, is life hard if you don't have a car?

i wouldn't be here without a car, it's north america. Try going shopping in the snow, waiting on a bus/train on a cold winter morning no thanks :eek:
    Also, how bad an idea would it be to move there coming into winter?

depends what you want, construction still goes on and there is more work on the oil sands in the winter if thats your gig
    I've been in -20 here (Seoul) last winter if that makes any difference? I guess I mean more from a finding work point of view. Is it still easy to find work going into winter?

yes :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 694 ✭✭✭Tragamin2k2

calgary city chap, was at some gaa night on steve ave few weeks ago ther must be at least a zillion irish here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Me and my gf are headin in November, we're well aware its not ideal but we've no chioce really. Can't wait!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭snoopmadra

me and missus moving ina couple of months,cant wait......best areas to live lads?we are looking for a 2 bed place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

snoopmadra wrote: »
    me and missus moving ina couple of months,cant wait......best areas to live lads?we are looking for a 2 bed place

My advice would be to start off close to downtown and close to a C-Train station.
    If possible, don't sign a year lease straight away as it ties you to that place when you don't really know where you will work, what the place is like etc. Try and get a month to month or even a 6 month lease. The best i could negotiate was an 8 month lease.

Boardwalk rentals have a good few buildings downtown with apartments so if you search for them you'll get an idea of whats out there.

Apartments will nearly always be unfurnished by the way. It's easy to pick up cheap furniture off www.calgary.kijiji.ca you will probably need to rent a van to pick it all up though.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

For furniture head up to the MCC thrift store in the north east (around 37th street I think)

I got a couch, coffee table, otterman, floor lamp and tv stand for $170. All fairly decent stuff aswell,a lot better than I ever had renting in Ireland.

Y'all find s man with man on kijiji to do the run for bout $60

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paultech45

Hi I am in the process of applying for jobs and planning to move to Calgary. Iam a motorcycle and small engine mechanic for the past 25 years. I have ran my own business for 17 years but finding it very hard to make money in Ireland. Any advice on good places to live in the city? I have to get a job offer for my visa but have had alot of positive feed back because of my work experience. any Irish groups or clubs in Calgary? thanks Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 18 damob9

H Paul
    Theres an Irish Cultural Society and a Gaa club called the Calgary Chieftains they have websites and Facebook pages and there's a facebook group called Irish in Calgary . The people in that group are very helpful and give a lot of info and advice.
    Best of luck
    Damien

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

paultech45 wrote: »
    Hi I am in the process of applying for jobs and planning to move to Calgary. Iam a motorcycle and small engine mechanic for the past 25 years. I have ran my own business for 17 years but finding it very hard to make money in Ireland. Any advice on good places to live in the city? I have to get a job offer for my visa but have had alot of positive feed back because of my work experience. any Irish groups or clubs in Calgary? thanks Paul

https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133/ these are good people

• Registered Users Posts: 2 paultech45

thanks damien ill check them out, hopefully the move will work out for me but it is looking very promising. It will make a welcome change not to be listening about the recession and doom and gloom! Its a shame that we cant make a decent living in Ireland any more. Paul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Ill be in Calgary next Tuesday for at least a week and maybe much longer than that. Would love to meet Boardsies in Calgary...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Ill be in Calgary next Tuesday for at least a week and maybe much longer than that. Would love to meet Boardsies in Calgary...

swing by the northwest i can have a beer and give you the lowdown ect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

TechnoPool wrote: »
    swing by the northwest i can have a beer and give you the lowdown ect

Cheers Techno, i'll give ya a pm and could meet up for a few beers next week. should have a new Calgary Mobile number by this time next week, eek!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fonzy72

Hey I'm really looking for responsible heads to work in cafes sw ne and downtown, anyone looking? Pm me if interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭bstar

You should post it on the irish in calgary facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/132443770140133/?bookmark_t=group

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishladdy

hey just got offered a job in calgary just wondering whats it like to live there and is it a good city? cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭gdavis

what line of work u in irishladdy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Irishladdy

I work in logistics mate

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CobhLanger

Anyone working in the Oil sand's/Derrick's? Looking to get work in these area's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

wheres the derricks? whats your skills?

On the Canadian jobs post's their looking for derrickhand's etc. in Edmonton,Calgary and red deer

Im a Heavy Diesel Mechanic by trade but want to get away from it

the oil rig work is an apprenticeship in Alberta you will have to start off at the bottom as a leasehand/roughneck and work your way up and coming on a 2 year visa you will probably never reach standard of a derrickhand as it can take 3 years and the visa is only 2 and the oil drilling company wont give you an LMO sadly. i looked into this a lot been in contact with them. also the oil rig work is seasonal usually taking place from sept- march/April each year so another thing to take into consider:D you will might possibly get a leashand job but it probably wont be until winter the money is good but back breaking hard. if i was you i would stick to changing the starters.alternators and the prox switches in diggers for 50 bucks an hour then to start off as a dogs bollex making lads lunches and doing there washes because that is primarily the role of a leashand the oil company's told me that themselves:D

Cheers lad

What about work in the mine's? I also have a Rigid Truck Licence.

not a clue about mines mate:D i am sure you would get work no probs in the oil sands i dont no much about that though.

Are ya over there yourself now?

• Advertisement

no mate heading to calgary 16th april:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishGinger

Hi everyone.

My boyfriend and i are moving to calgary in May.
    I just like to get an idea of the best place or way to start looking for an apartment ??? What area is the best to live in???

Also if there are any irish over there at the moment how are ye getting on??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Also if there are any irish over there at the moment how are ye getting on??

:D Too many Irish there, its like we have invaded the place. I remember i lived in Calgary for 2 months in 2007 and i never met a single Irish person, back there recently and all the hostels and pubs were Jam packed with Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 oreilly09

Converted to Calgary. Boards.ie sold it well!

:D Too many Irish there, its like we have invaded the place. I remember i lived in Calgary for 2 months in 2007 and i never met a single Irish person, back there recently and all the hostels and pubs were Jam packed with Irish.

Im just hoping we dont get a name for ourselves like the lot in Oz at the mo.

So should we expect string tops and shorts in May or??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

thankfully theres a limit each year. and also people with criminal records have a hard time to get in to canada where as oz seems to allow them in. sure if Calgary gets that busy just move on. Edmonton has not been hit with mass Irish YET:D

Calgary22 wrote: »
    thankfully theres a limit each year. and also people with criminal records have a hard time to get in to canada where as oz seems to allow them in. sure if Calgary gets that busy just move on. Edmonton has not been hit with mass Irish YET:D

we dont even know why we picked calgary ha!!! think everyone heads to toronto and vancouver anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

Im the opposite, ive been here over 2 years now and met less than a dozen irish people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 totsy88

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    the oil rig work is an apprenticeship in Alberta you will have to start off at the bottom as a leasehand/roughneck and work your way up and coming on a 2 year visa you will probably never reach standard of a derrickhand as it can take 3 years and the visa is only 2 and the oil drilling company wont give you an LMO sadly.

Your apprenticeship starts at motorhand not derrickhand. You can get to motorhand in way less than two years once you put your back into it.

After floorhand you have to take on an epprentiship to go any higher such as motorhand (rigtech 1) derrickhand (rigtech 2) and Driller (rigtech 3) respectively.
    http://alis.alberta.ca/occinfo/content/RequestAction.asp?aspAction=GetHTMLProfile&format=html&occPro_ID=71018427&SNT_ID=25

A compnay will be much more likely to give you an LMO when you have given in the hours for them. No surprise they said no to LMO's over the phone.

You have to be a PR to do an apprenticeship this includes rig tech apprenticeship. so that's a no go for people on iec.

Alberta Designated Trades (designated branches with registered apprenticeship programs)

Agricultural Equipment Technician
    Appliance Service Technician (Appliance Service Technician or
    Commercial Appliance Service Technician)
    Auto Body Technician (Auto Body Technician, Auto Body
    Prepper, Auto Body Refinisher or Auto Body Repairer)
    Automotive Service Technician
    Baker
    Boilermaker
    Bricklayer
    Cabinetmaker
    Carpenter
    Communication Technician
    Concrete Finisher
    Cook
    Crane and Hoisting Equipment Operator (Mobile Crane, Tower
    Crane, Boom Truck or Wellhead Boom Truck)
    Electric Motor Systems Technician
    Electrician
    Elevator Constructor
    Floorcovering Installer
    Gasfitter (A) or (B)
    Glazier (Glazier or Auto Glass Technician)
    Hairstylist
    Heavy Equipment Technician (Heavy Equipment Technician,
    Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic (Off Road), Truck and
    Transport Mechanic or Transport Trailer Mechanic)
    Instrument Technician
    Insulator
    Ironworker (Ironworker, Metal Building Systems Erector,
    Reinforcing or Structural/Ornamental)
    Landscape Gardener
    Lather-Interior Systems Mechanic
    Locksmith
    Machinist
    Millwright
    Motorcycle Mechanic
    Natural Gas Compression Technician
    Outdoor Power Equipment Technician (Power Equipment or
    Recreational Equipment)
    Painter and Decorator
    Parts Technician (Parts Technician or Materials Technician)
    Plumber
    Powerline Technician
    Power System Electrician
    Recreation Vehicle Service Technician
    Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic
    Rig Technician
    Roofer
    Sawfiler (Sawfiler or Circular Sawfiler)
    Sheet Metal Worker
    Sprinkler System Installer
    Steamfitter - Pipefitter
    Structural Steel and Plate Fitter
    Tilesetter
    Transport Refrigeration Technician
    Water Well Driller
    Welder (Welder or Wire Process Operator)
    Apprenticeship is ONLY for Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Spaceman Spiff

Shameless plug, but if anyone is coming to Calgary and looking to play rugby or just be involved with a growing number of other expats, there is a club for you: http://calgaryirish.ca

?????? is probably the best description of what to expect with May weather in Calgary.

Shameless plug, but if anyone is coming to Calgary and looking to play rugby or just be involved with a growing number of other expats, there is a club for you: http://calgaryirish.ca

?????? is probably the best description of what to expect with May weather in Calgary.

Sigh if only i was good enough i would play:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 dobsy89

Wish i played when i was younger,would definitely have joined ye if i had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

Im just hoping we dont get a name for ourselves like the lot in Oz at the mo.

That is so true .
    Hopefully the knacks dont make it to Alberta , the weathers enough to deal with here !

• Advertisement

What line of work are ye all in??
    Is there as many jobs as people say there are???

Seems if you have a trade you will be laughing all the way to bank:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

Well, today our high temp. was 17C, but tomorrow our high is going to be 2 or 3C with flurries. That is spring in Calgary! May is generally warmer, but we kind of go from winter directly to summer here. June is the rainiest month (nothing like you're used to mind you). July and August can be hot and/or stormy. Just in time for stampede, YAHOO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭el diablo

What line of work are ye all in??
    Is there as many jobs as people say there are???

No gingers allowed. :P

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

el diablo wrote: »
    No gingers allowed. :P

OUCH !!!! thats why im moving!!!! they dont want me here either hehe

• Advertisement
Advertisement