Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best of tv 2010...what are your favourites?

• 12-12-2010 5:00am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

:) as 2010 draws (almost) to a close perhaps we here on this forum could look back over the past year, what have been the high points?....what have you enjoyed the most of the year?

I've added a few bulletin points but you can create your own:

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    2. Worst tv show of 2010?
    3. Biggest dissapointment of 2010?
    4. Biggest surprise of 2010?
    5. Biggest "guilty pleasure" of 2010?
    6. Honourable mention

2010 has been a strange year, in many ways it's been the worst year for new shows, many have just tanked and failed. US network tv is pretty much in the toilet this year with no breakout hits.

It's all been about cable :) , the biggest success is by far The Walking Dead, with ratings network tv execs. would sell their grandmother for!

HBO has had a great year, The Pacific and Boardwalk Empire....personally i think BE has been a cracker of a show, i just feel people had unrealistic expectations as to what to expect from Boardwalk....probably thinking it would be all violence and gangsters, i personally welcome that BE is a much more character driven drama, it's production values are stellar.

I've had alot of tv choices this year, it's never been boring so i'm greatful for that, and having this forum to discuss shows and exchange banter has been great :)

Best show of 2010?...it's actually a though choice, i'm gonna surprise people here but i'll explain why:

Nikita: why?...the absolute main reason is it's a spy show and it's on The CW, i'm voting because it's been the biggest surprise for me in terms of consistent quality + it's shocking to belive it's a CW show! :eek:

I swear this show should be on Fox!, Nikita has been a blast, some of the best action and stunts on tv, good characters and acting, good production values, but most important...it's been CONSISTENTLY quality tv.

Worst show of 2010?...easy, Undercovers....JJ Abrams finally got a wakeup call, the golden boy is no longer untouchable. It was an absolute turkey in every way, for many people even coming up with "sexpionage" was an offense :mad:

Biggest guilty pleasure?: :o it's gotta be Pretty Little Liars :p - most won't know this tweeny and super girly show, Desperate Housewives for tweens, the breakout hit of 2010 which created an army of dedicated followers.

A cable show with a murder/mystery at it's core that really shouldn't be as good as it is, for me it's a total guilty pleasure...but i'm never one to dismiss a show becuase it's not aimed at "me", or because i'm not a 13-year-old girl. :)

Biggest disappointment of 2010?....sadly it's The Event :( , ooh dear...i could write pages about this, it's this years Flash Forward in every sense. It started well, it had 4/5 solid eps. at the start but then fell to bits.
    Just like FF, interesting premise but badly executed. The issue is (as with FF) the writing, it's dreadful. The acting from the two leads Ritter and especially Roemer is some of the worst i've seen on tv in many years.

It's on hiatus until March 7th, it's goose is cooked...3 month hiatus killed FF last year, well FF was toast before it's hiatus, and it'll do the same to The Event, the biggest non event this year :rolleyes:

Biggest surprise?...honestly nothing has surprised me, but i guess i'd put Nikita into this box, but nothing else really stands out. I know Spartacus would be here but it was the start of the year and i'm kinda discussing shows that have been on in the second half of the year.

But Spartacus will always be in my heart on any list i could come up with :), honorable mention for comedy reasons + better then it should really be, or i thought it would be: The Hard Times Of RJ Berger: hard to belive MTV made this!, it can be very funny at times, it's a rather patchy and inconsistent show....but when it's good it's really good!, the dialogue and humour is at odds with an MTV show, it's very adult, you'd expect this to be on premium cable, and i'd actually prefer it to be so as it would allow the writers/producers much more freedom.

You get the sense they wanna let loose but MTV reign them in, pitty.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 703 ✭✭✭obliviousgrudge

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    BIG BROTHER, I love the show and this is the last series so it has to be here. Can't believe I'll not be wasting my summer next year watching it, and then glued to the live stream every night.

THE X FACTOR, I know it'll probably everyone's favourite show of the year, but its no longer a talent show, its a ll a fix. And I hate Simon Cowell, and I hate how everyone thought that by keeping Wagner and any other bad contestants in they were annoying Simon Cowell, well, I've got news for you, he doesn't care, he's making money from your votes.

MATTIE, Loved Killinaskully, love Pat Shortt and had high hopes for this. After the first episode I told myself it'll probably get better but it didn't. Despite that, it's still an okay show and I'll continue watching anyway.

THE EVENT, I can't really think of any real surprises, but I suppose it'll have to go to The Event, I hadn't seen any ads that actually told me what it was about, just that it was coming. And I've been please so far.

FOOTBALLER'S WIVES, I know it wasn't made this year but I've been watching the repeats on CBS and even though its a womans program, it is actually quite good. And its almost made up for having no more Dream Team.
    But for a 2010 show, WAGON'S DEN. Like Katherine Lynch, and Brian Dowling (refer to point 1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Fringe, its just beeen pure gold since its return, and had an excellent year all round, the end of season two really kicked this show into life, and the switching between universes was executed flawlessy,

Undercovers, theres probably worse, but this is the one a gave a go of, and it was just terrible, sad really that another JJ Abrams show was my favourite,

Chuck, i dunno how to put my finger on it, but this has been a real let down this year, the extra episodes at the end of season 3 werent great, and season 4 just doesnt seem to work for me (very hit and miss), so 2010 hasnt been good to chuck,

Hawaii Five-0, i wasnt gonna pick this up, said id watch the pilot, but genuinely expected to drop it like i did knight rider last year, but no this show really grabbed my attention, i watch all the CSIs and this is a more action packed CSI show, better stories, more action, and more women, (or men for the girls, this show isnt sexist), looks like a network finally revived a classic,

Greys Anatomy
    , this show has really been brought back to life since the shooting at the end of last season, and with the mercy west caracters coming more into it its been great, really love rachael, thought she was annoying swooning over derek last year, but now shes friends with meridith, and shes realy starting to develop as a caracter, also christina fishing was funny, as was when arizona came back in the last episode and callie just closed the door on her, :D

6 Honourable Mention
    Spartacus, this show arrived on the scene with a big big bang, i would have put it as my favourite show, but im really loving Fringe this year, so im giving it an honourable mention, its a shame that andy whithfield got cancer, would really have loved seeing him develop this role all the way, i would love if they brought him back for season 3, after he beats cancer,

EDIT: have to mention Sanctuary, dunno if theres many fans here, but season 3 has been amazing,

The boards TV awards should be on soon, shouldn't they?

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Misfits, by a long shot.
    Oh, The Event, Persons Strange
    Persons Strange
    Possibly Misfits, because the 2nd season has vastly surpassed the first
    America's Got Talent.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Enjoy Two-and-half-men sitcom
    Sick of the crime drama obsession in the States

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

The boards TV awards should be on soon, shouldn't they?
    i think thats when all the current seasons end probably around may,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Best TV Show of 2010:
    For me it has to be Community and there isn't enough people watching it...

Worst TV Show of 2010:
    Haven't watched many of the new shows this season yet, so I'm gonna go with Glee on this one, since the first half of season 1 in 2009 was fantastic and it went rapidly downhill after that.

Biggest Guilty Pleasure:
    Has to be the Biggest Loser - anyone who hasn't watched it is missing out.

Biggest Dissapointment of 2010:
    How I Met Your Mother - I still watch it every week, but it has lost its edge and season 5/6 hasn't had many great episodes.

Biggest Surprise of 2010:
    Gotta be Misfits - didn't think the second season would be able to surpass the first, but its done that and more.

Honourable Mention:
    Dexter - 'nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    The Walking Dead- Really enjoyed it.
    All Ireland Talent Show- Do I need to explain why.
    Mattie- Huge let Down compared the killanaskully.
    Nikita- Didnt expect it to be good
    Glee- I didnt watch 1st season but i'm enjoying Season 2
    6. Honourable mention
    Fringe- Deserves more credit than it gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Lost Girl. Easily the best show for me this year. It's the show i'm most looking forward to every week

Dunno. Any show that i've been unsure of, i've put it on the "To watch" list and get boardsies opinions on it first. Saved myself some grief there

Caprica. It could have been good. The final five episodes showed us that, but the way they scheduled it with months between episodes was what killed it. the final five episodes were the best of the season, but a weak start just ruined it :(

Nikita. Wasn't expecting such a good show, especially from the CW :eek: at least it isn't Fox and get canned in its first season (hopefully). It's got good action, and has me hooked.

Desperate Housewives. The housemate watches it and i've gotten used to watching it now :o it's just so daft, it's funny

6. Honourable mention
    Stargate Universe. 2 or 3 episodes have been a bit crappy, but overall i've enjoyed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

1. Best tv show of 2010?

Newswipe with Charlie Brooker. Can't think of any other shows that really stood out. I don't think it was a great year.

X-Factor. The real winner every year is Simon Cowell.

Lost's final season. Had such high hopes for it but it descended into farce.

Spartacus.

The Eurovision. I quite enjoyed it this year and the thread on here was fun.

6. Honourable mention

FlashForward. I miss it. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Sideshow Mark

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    This Is England '86

Fade St, it's badness hurt my eyes, and its about 4 years too late.

3. Biggest disappointment of 2010?
    Caprica, should have been great.

Sherlock, never thought it would work. I was wrong.

X Factor, but don't tell anyone.

6. Honourable mentions
    Fringe - please don't get cancelled! The Trip, Spartacus & Doctor Who

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    A tie between Community and Boardwalk Empire for me, two very different shows also so not much point in putting them up against each other.
    The usual stuff, 2 and a half men, scrubs, xfactor(if that even is a show) and that new Mike and Molly show is bin juice.I also reserve a special hate for stuff like Grouchy Young Men or whatever the name of the show on Comedy Central is, it ruins my late night watching.
    The Walking Dead, after a great pilot there rest of the series was pretty swing and miss, undeveloped and just cheesy at points.I hope they get their act together for season 2.
    That Fade Street is the funniest thing RTE have made in centuries. They obviously weren't going for the luaghably **** aspect of the poorly scripted reality show, but it was a nice surprise to me.
    Jersey Shore, no clue why I watched the full 2nd season of it, but I did and I've no shame about it.
    6. Honourable mention
    Hardy Bucks wasn't done too well by RTE, but I have high hopes for the second season. Love/Hate wasn't bad either, some ****e dialogue and unconvincing characters, but Gleeson's son was good in it. Misfits has been great too, deserves more than an honourable mention but there were no other categories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Breaking Bad. Utterly predictable I know but it's just soooo goddamn good. A higher level than all the rest tbh.
    Honestly I don't watch much crap TV. My free time is too important to watch tripe. About the worst thing I *had* to sit through this year was XFactor at dinner time at the parents gaff.
    The Lost finale. All those seasons I stuck with it and it was meh. I'd have been happier with a Sopranos style cliffhanger tbh.
    Stargate Universe holding up well storywise. I was expecting it to degenerate into a mess of padding once they got a second season but its been surprisingly well paced.
    Smallville. I started watching around season 6 when most of the teenage emo crap was being phased out and they started bringing in more of the DC Universe. Scarily its actually one of the hightlights of the week now as a lot of better shows have finished up.
    6. Honourable mention
    Eastbound & Down. Again I thought upping sticks to Mexico was a sign the E&D team were stuck with what to do with the character but Season 2 was just as good as 1 and they really used the fish out of water storyline well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭groovie

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    A tie between Rubicon and Justified, two very contrasting shows to be sure but the common thread of a charismatic lead actor, great support, tight stories and a wonderful lack of easy answers.
    Luther!
    The Sons Of Anarchy - Season Three, no spoilers but what were they thinking? (OK I gave up after five episodes, but I'd done my part).
    Justified, pilot was not an indication of where it was going to go.
    The Glades, it's frothy and instantly forgettable but had something that I really liked.
    6. Honourable mentions
    The Trip, Sherlock, Modern Family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Raising Hope. Fantastic comedy
    The Event. Really hope it gets a second season
    Lost. I loved the last episode so much. One of the best shows ever made.

The X-Factor. I hate this show so much.

Glee Season 2. I cant put my finger on what is wrong with it but I am definately not enjoying it as much as I was.

Spartacus. Didnt think I was going to enjoy this but it turned into one of the best shows of the year.

Desperate Housewives, Every year I say I wont watch the next season but I keep on tuning in.

6. Honourable mentions
    Sherlock, Modern Family, The Middle, The Waking Dead

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Of the returning shows, mad Men once again by a nose from Breaking Bad.
    Honourable mentions to Misfits and Community.

Of the new stuff I think I'm only watching one - Outsourced. It's not great but then nothing has been.

I try to avoid watching anything which hasn't been recommended or at least had an interesting trailer so I'll go with No Ordinary Family which had no redeeming features in the pilot. Waste of Chiklis.

Chuck. It's just not that good any more.

Todd Margaret. Never knew it existed until it was over. Not quite as good as it could have been with the cast involved but a bit of a chuckle in a year when laughs were thin on the ground.

Desperate Housewives,Every year I say I wont watch the next season but I keep on tuning in.*
    *Copy and pasted from above but they're my exact feelings.

6. Honourable mentions
    The Trip, Parks and Recreation season 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,490 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Best new show for me is Justified and best old show is Supernatural
    Worst new show is Covert Affairs and worst old show is Lost
    Lost finale
    Raising Hope (best new comedy by a mile gets better and better)
    Come Dine With Me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

1. Best tv show of 2010?
    Sherlock. I'm a huge fan of the books and was amazed at how well they translated it to the modern day.

Fade Street. I really don't even understand how people can watch it just to laugh at it. It's just painfully bad.

After enjoying Sherlock so much, finding out who Moriarty was was just insulting. I'm hoping for a twist in the next season.

Running Wilde. It's not a brilliant show, but there are moments where I was in hysterics laughing at it.

Take Me Out. Unlike Fade Street, this makes it fun to watch vaccuous, hateful people.

6. Honourable mention
    Everyone should give Community a shot. And Raising Hope is pretty good too.

Advertisement