Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Desire Camera Blur

• 06-08-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

Could anyone who has a desire please put up some photos they've taken with it.
    All my photos are terrible, not in focus unless the object it right beside the lens. I've read the other thread, tried it with 2 hands etc but still very blurry.

Here's some of mine...
    IMAG0097.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Mine are the same, if not worse. You need to clean the lens cover (both sides) and the lens to sharpen up the images. PITA. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭lafors

JustinOval wrote: »
    Mine are the same, if not worse. You need to clean the lens cover (both sides) and the lens to sharpen up the images. PITA. :rolleyes:

Done that, thats not the problem. I work for Nikon so I know my cameras, its a hardware problem imho. I contacted HTC, no reply yet.
    Check out the HTC desire photos on flickr and you'll see what they should be like. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,265 ✭✭✭MiCr0

i'd suggest turning off auto-review if you have it on

lafors wrote: »
    Done that, thats not the problem. I work for Nikon so I know my cameras, its a hardware problem imho. I contacted HTC, no reply yet.
    Check out the HTC desire photos on flickr and you'll see what they should be like. :(

Interesting. I've never been happy with mine, and I'm still looking for an alternative as the camera is important to me. Cleaning does improve it a little, but not to a level I'd be happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

4863586873_a9139c9aca_b.jpg
    ^Photo taken by a Desire^

It should be capable of much more. That does seem like there's a hardware problem.

• Advertisement

Looking through some of the pics on Flickr has really pissed me off now. :mad:

I just tried the camera again, it's at the point of being completely useless now.

Close-up isn't too bad, but in normal use it's pointless even trying to take a pic.

http://imgur.com/H8psh (about a week ago)

Today -

http://imgur.com/luaSw

I just tried the camera again, it's at the point of being completely useless now.

Close-up isn't too bad, but in normal use it's pointless even trying to take a pic.

http://imgur.com/H8psh (about a week ago)

Today -

http://imgur.com/luaSw

Exact same for me, close up is fine but anything else is rubbish.
    Out of interest PAMG & Justin when you hold your phone normally with one hand and tap it up near the camera with a finger (from the same hand) does it sound like the lens is rattling to you?
    I'm thinking my lens is not able to focus at all and is detached inside.

That pic you put up PAMG has me raging too :mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Here are a few I've taken. Quality is poor.

IMAG0154.jpg
    IMAG0007.jpg
    IMAG0158.jpg

Exact same for me, close up is fine but anything else is rubbish.
    Out of interest PAMG & Justin when you hold your phone normally with one hand and tap it up near the camera with a finger (from the same hand) does it sound like the lens is rattling to you?
    I'm thinking my lens is not able to focus at all and is detached inside.

That pic you put up PAMG has me raging too :mad:

Yes! Yes, it does. :eek:

• Advertisement

That's normal on all autofocusing lenses. It's how they're designed. Every single Desire has that rattling sound if you tap it.

I'm gonna take a few photos to show you how it's done :p

We know how it's done, but if the lens can't focus there isn't much we can do.

We know how it's done, but if the lens can't focus there isn't much we can do.
    It's not a defect, the lens focuses perfectly well. That rattling is a byproduct of its design.

The biggest issue with all these shots is shutter speed and unstable shots. In high light the shutter speed can go far lower meaning a much higher chance of getting a clear stable shot. In low light conditions it gets longer thus meaning a higher chance of the shot becoming blurred.

It's not a defect, the lens focuses perfectly well. That rattling is a byproduct of its design.

The biggest issue with all these shots is shutter speed and unstable shots. In high light the shutter speed can go far lower meaning a much higher chance of getting a clear stable shot. In low light conditions it gets longer thus meaning a higher chance of the shot becoming blurred.

Sorry, but that's bullsh!t, regardless of any setting or steadiness the lens cannot focus on our handsets. Rattle aside I now also believe there is a hardware fault.

More here - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=7495746

I've just taken these 4 pics in daylight, battery cover off, phone held steady on back of chair, different ISO settings - auto, 100 and 800.

http://imgur.com/a/A99WS/htc_desire_camera_test

Useless.

For a camera that doesn't have a macro mode I'd say this is pretty good, no?

http://imgur.com/Uibbd

Is the focus out of range/calibration or something?

A few photos

4866247862_c7943be72e_b.jpg

Ah nostalgia...

4866247372_511033f029_b.jpg
    4865628299_20725a2dd6_b.jpg
    4866246300_a63b73b9e3_b.jpg
    4865627321_90e2af4a65_b.jpg
    4866245286_ed90c8b03b_b.jpg
    4866244686_ef7e77e97c_b.jpg

All the above - Bray Beach4865625437_018165435b_b.jpg
    Phoenix Park at dusk

As you can see the photos look pretty well focused (For a phone camera with a 2mm lens at least). If you can't get anything to that level of sharpness in good lighting conditions e.t.c. then you've a dodgy camera sensor in your Desire.

They're not great TBH. :P

Why are you making such a big fuss over the lens rattle? It's not a defect in the camera :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Could anyone who has a desire please put up some photos they've taken with it.
    All my photos are terrible, not in focus unless the object it right beside the lens. I've read the other thread, tried it with 2 hands etc but still very blurry.
    Here's a couple I just took.

the one of the keyboard is in a dullish room. I didn't use the flash.

They seem OK to me or at least are good enough for me.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

Why are you making such a big fuss over the lens rattle? It's not a defect in the camera :confused:

How can you be sure? I really don't know, it may be related to the focus problem it may not...
    Euan wrote:
    Apparently it shouldn't rattle. Orange are replacing it tomorrow. Happy days, what nice people:)
    http://www.htcforums.com/threads/4579-Irritating-rattle

I think that's relevant, don't you?

Here's a couple I just took.

the one of the keyboard is in a dullish room. I didn't use the flash.

They seem OK to me or at least are good enough for me.

IMAG0013.jpg

IMAG0012.jpg

I'd be very happy with those.

How can you be sure? I really don't know, it may be related to the focus problem it may not...

http://www.htcforums.com/threads/4579-Irritating-rattle

I think that's relevant, don't you?

No I think the post that followed is quite relevant
    New phone, same rattle!

Still always nice to get a new phone 2 weeks in to your contract.

Further Googling found that this is a common issue/non-issue.

More info here:

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/61574-desire-rattle-camera.html

As I told you, it's a non-issue. It does not affect the lens' focusing abilities. Mine rattles as does yours. There's no doubt the photos taken with my camera are less blurry than say Keano's or yours. Why that is could be due to numerous factors like lighting, steadiness e.t.c. or even a faulty camera sensor.

As I told you, it's a non-issue. It does not affect the lens' focusing abilities. Mine rattles as does yours. There's no doubt the photos taken with my camera are less blurry than say Keano's or yours. Why that is could be due to numerous factors like lighting, steadiness e.t.c. or even a faulty camera sensor.

OK, I'll give you that one - I didn't spot the reverse chronological order of the posts. ;)

Can we agree on a faulty sensor then? :D

Agreed, I probably shouldn't have mentioned the rattle.
    I'm getting the exact same photos as justin though, macro style shots are very clear anything more than 1ft away is blurred. Light outside or iso or any settings are not making a blind bit of difference. Defo a problem.......I so want to rip the lens out and have a look, must resist :D

If I tap on the screen to refocus on another point is moves slightly but never comes into focus, it seems to think its focused but its not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Has anyone tried a third party photo ap like camera fx instead of the stock ap? I found the focusing method on it to be better, hold down the button to focus and let go to take instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Mantel wrote: »
    Has anyone tried a third party photo ap like camera fx instead of the stock ap? I found the focusing method on it to be better, hold down the button to focus and let go to take instead.

Absolutely. I use the above and it focuses grand even in poor light. you can see it move from an initial oof to focus. The camera app with the phone doesn't appear to focus at all, hence out of focus photos. A fault I would say.

Vignette is pretty good although it doesn't offer anything for focus issues.

@Justin

Yup, either that or you just don't have 1337 ph0t0 t4k1ng 5k1llz. :pac:

• Advertisement

Vignette is pretty good although it doesn't offer anything for focus issues.

@Justin

Yup, either that or you just don't have 1337 ph0t0 t4k1ng 5k1llz. :pac:

:D

It's going back under warranty.

Vignette (paid version) @ 3.1MP -

http://imgur.com/chB0u

FX Camera is the same.

Definitely something going on over there that shouldn't be. That looks as if it was taken by an old VGA digital camera :eek:

Thank you for contacting us. In regards to the camera issues, I can help you with that. You will need to perform a hard reset: Warning: Resetting your phone will erase all data stored on the phone memory completely. Remember to back up the phone information and settings. To perform a hard reset please do the following: Go to the Home Screen Press Menu Tap Settings Tap Privacy Tap Factory data reset Tap Reset phone It is also possible to perform a factory reset by using the hardware buttons on the phone. 1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then briefly press the POWER button. 2. Wait for the screen with the 3 Android images to appear, and then release the VOLUME DOWN button. 3. Press VOLUME DOWN to select CLEAR STORAGE, and then press POWER. 4. When asked to confirm, press VOLUME UP Will I lose all my calendar events, contacts and emails if I have to perform a factory reset? Yes, you will lose your data on the phone. However if you have set up a Google account on your phone, your data is synchronized and backed up on your Google account. To setup a Google account, please do the following: Go to the Home screen Press Menu Tap Settings Tap Accounts & sync Tap Add Account Tap Google Tap Next Tap Sign in Enter the Google Username and Password Tap Sign in The handset will now automatically sync Contacts, Calendar and Gmail with the Google account. I trust that this resolves your query, please do not hesitate to contact us again if required.

BTW it was formatted like that in the mail...hard to read!
    So they want me to do a hard reset after I just finished setting my phone up the way I like it :mad:

BTW it was formatted like that in the mail...hard to read!
    So they want me to do a hard reset after I just finished setting my phone up the way I like it :mad:
    Won't help at all tbh.

You need a different/newer ROM. Are you running 2.2?

Won't help at all tbh.

Yep running stock 2.2
    All my pictures have been like this from when I got the phone.

Won't help at all tbh.

Correct. Just tried it, no difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Here's a few from mine. I always found the quality decent once you take a steady shot. Must be a hardware problem. As you can see from the filenames, 2 were taken with CameraZoom and 1 with the standard camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Dr. Loon wrote: »
    Here's a few from mine. I always found the quality decent once you take a steady shot. Must be a hardware problem. As you can see from the filenames, 2 were taken with CameraZoom and 1 with the standard camera.

I think you've just proved the point there. The difference between Camera Zoom (which appears to activate the auto focus) and the camera on the phone (which appears not to) is simply light and day :eek: in those shots

I tried emailing and calling HTC this morning, but if a reset is their solution I'll give up. Meteor shop said I can return it to them (10 working days), or drop it into the local service centre. I think I'll do that next week.

Here's a pic I took when the phone was new. Not bad.

http://imgur.com/28vc3

HTC emailed me back, they want me to drop it into the repair centre here.
    They better give me a replacement phone while they're fixing it.

• Advertisement

I have to send mine to UK for repair. Tempted to buy a Galaxy S to use in the meantime. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I have to send mine to UK for repair. Tempted to buy a Galaxy S to use in the meantime. :pac:

No recession for you:pac:

Kenno90 wrote: »
    No recession for you:pac:

I'm out of contract now, €99 for a Galaxy S with a new contract, then sell it (or the Desire..) for €350. :D

HTC emailed me back, they want me to drop it into the repair centre here.
    They better give me a replacement phone while they're fixing it.

Can you let us know how that goes? Mine has gone back with a courier, it's going to be a long two weeks...

Can you let us know how that goes? Mine has gone back with a courier, it's going to be a long two weeks...

I'm in work so wont get to send it in this week. I bet it'll be the same as you, send it to the UK :(

• Registered Users Posts: 43 grimbo

For what it's worth

I noticed the same [blurry] problem with mine, but there wasn't the same problem with the phone back off. I'd tried cleaning the lens cover but couldn't clear whatever it was off it. The glass was cloudy somehow... anyway, I poked it out with a pen and I'm back to to clear [as they get] photos now.

grimbo wrote: »
    For what it's worth

I noticed the same [blurry] problem with mine, but there wasn't the same problem with the phone back off. I'd tried cleaning the lens cover but couldn't clear whatever it was off it. The glass was cloudy somehow... anyway, I poked it out with a pen and I'm back to to clear [as they get] photos now.

I tried that, the battery cover can cause some blurriness but not as much as we are getting. Definitely an auto-focus issue as macro shots are near perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bean

I found that my pics on my Desire were deteriorating after three months. I had a closer look at the clear plastic on the rear cover that protects the camera. Seems that there were small scratches there so i took a small amount non abrasive polish and buffed the clear plastic and removed the scratches, worked for me.

Got a Galaxy S today. Photos are pretty much equal when it comes to quality but focusing is a tiny bit better for all but Macro shots.

Got a Galaxy S today. Photos are pretty much equal when it comes to quality but focusing is a tiny bit better for all but Macro shots.

Where did you get it? Online price is €179 but some have reported €99 in shop.. (bill pay)

• Advertisement
Advertisement