Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daft Funk - Daft Punk Tribute?

Options
  • 15-05-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

I saw posters around UCD and Trinity (and the Trinity Ents Facebook page) advertising a Daft Punk tribute band playing in Tripod this Saturday 15th May... but I can't find any more info, not even on pod.ie, which doesn't mention it. Does anyone know if it's still going ahead??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

aaro26 wrote: »
    I saw posters around UCD and Trinity (and the Trinity Ents Facebook page) advertising a Daft Punk tribute band playing in Tripod this Saturday 15th May... but I can't find any more info, not even on pod.ie, which doesn't mention it. Does anyone know if it's still going ahead??

saw a video on youtube.it looked like the fella was playing a turntable with no vinyl on it.

me thinks its just a cd and the lads jump around in helmets

ah here it is,from about 1:20 onwards the nearest fella is doing some ridiculous attempt at looking cool or scratching or something but it just doesnt look like theres anything on that turntable:D:D

oh heres the explaination they give

Well spotted :-)

No it wasn't a mixed Cd

Sorry to spoil the illusion but...

We were DJing up in the 'crows nest' that night
    which is up to the top right of the stage if you're facing it

Dave Colt was DJing & the 2 lads who promote the nite were jumping around

Cos obviously it would be hard to Dj with the helmets on

Was just a bit of craic really, the Student crowd loved it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

seannash wrote: »

Fixed that link there. I haven't seen them, but I've heard they're god awful. Calling themselves 'just a bit of craic' and then marketing themselves as the best Daft Punk tribute act is a bit of a joke is it not?

Fixed that link there. I haven't seen them, but I've heard they're god awful. Calling themselves 'just a bit of craic' and then marketing themselves as the best Daft Punk tribute act is a bit of a joke is it not?

agreed,but its the idiots that pay for it whos to blame too.

agreed,but its the idiots that pay for it whos to blame too.

The so called 'student crowd'. :rolleyes:

I imagine it's the same type of standardless sheep who go to all those 'warehouse rave' type things. At least it keeps them out of the good nights though!

I imagine it's the same type of standardless sheep who go to all those 'warehouse rave' type things. At least it keeps them out of the good nights though!

yeah but i also hate the fact that there blatantly conning people into believing there djing in the suits when there just basically standing ther posing for the show while another dj may or may not be doing the mixing.

they probably think there getting away with it too,why dont they do it live?

fairly simple to do in ableton,even in helmets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭fionntan g

Awesome cover from a sligo band

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

....in before Kev from the Asylum thread jumps in to say that Warehouse Raves are faaar better than clubs and that we've all lost touch with the true Spirit of the Rave.

yeah but i also hate the fact that there blatantly conning people into believing there djing in the suits when there just basically standing ther posing for the show while another dj may or may not be doing the mixing.

they probably think there getting away with it too,why dont they do it live?

fairly simple to do in ableton,even in helmets

Especially with it being Daft Punk, they're probably one of the easier acts to emulate a live show, as you can more or less put any combination of their tracks together and it'll sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭franklyshocked

Tribute acts, the death of talent. This has to be one of the saddest developments I've ever heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Kenny DNK

i cant believe they just put on the "alive" cd..

lmfao... stick a bit a glowy schtuff to a suit and let on your playing.. priceless..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

Kenny DNK wrote: »
    i cant believe they just put on the "alive" cd..

Well, in the interests of offering the closest thing to the Daft Punk experience :D

I saw the inside and outside of that cube for their last tour. Behringer BCR2000s and Moog Voyagers? Behave. They were probably doing it verbatim off a CD themselves.

I repeat to all those up in arms here, two lads jumping around in suits while a CD plays is probably a lot closer to the true Daft Punk experience then you realise.

[caveat]I know quite a few of the people involved in the night, and I'd count a number of close friends among those roped in to promote it. Just clear that up before I go play devils advocate[/caveat]

In debate, Stephen Quinlivin who's ex-UCD ents officer, probably one of the best promoters in the city (in terms of being good at his job rather than musical style) and all-round good bloke is one half of the lads jumping around in the suits.

He has openly admitted that its Dave up in the birds nest while the pair of them jump about, and if you asked any of the 1,000+ coming out of Tripod last night if they were happy for their tenner knowing this, I'm sure 90% of them would say yes.

It was 10 quid in for a night to mark the end of UCD exams. It wasn't marketed as a 515 night, and it was marketed predominately to UCD students. If they had ended up in Coppers you'd probably be complaining more.

Well they're the ONLY Daft Punk tribute act in the country, so by definition... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

A tribute act of an Electronic Music group? Is that not just called DJing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭francois

All tribute bands seem pointless, I always wondered when tribute DJ's start appearing, say the Clonmel Carl Cox, some geezer looking like him playing old fact mix Cd's....

francois wrote: »
    All tribute bands seem pointless,

Funnily enough there was an article this weekend raving about tribute acts and how they're all booked solid. Some reasonable points made if pure cheese is your preference I supose

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2010/0515/1224270111891.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭francois

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    Funnily enough there was an article this weekend raving about tribute acts and how they're all booked solid. Some reasonable points made if pure cheese is your preference I supose

from the article

"“We got a gig at the Sugar Club , and within five minutes we knew we were on to a winner. The crowd just completely lost their minds,” says ELF."

on hidden stashes of "meow meow" no doubt :D

It's a fairly well known fact that tribute acts makes more money then medium level bands. Half the guys from Republic of Loose ran off to start the 80s tribute band Spring Break because it would make them more money, and it went so well that they started a 90s one called Smash Hits.

Edit: Didn't realise that's what that article was about...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭brianc27

my god that is fvckin sad, what happened to the days were students were into good house and techno and did loads of pills

brianc27 wrote: »
    my god that is fvckin sad, what happened to the days were students were into good house and techno and did loads of pills

There was never a day, as much as the oldskool heads say, that all students were into house and techno and did loads of pills.

Generally the crowds at those gigs are older, not students. They'd be 21+, the ones that'd be teenagers during the 90s.

tell that to all the mangled students that used to frequent the packed mid-week techno nights in switch back in the late '90's, also thursdays in the kitchen got their fare share of it, as did thursdays in the redbox.

tell that to all the mangled students that used to frequent the packed mid-week techno nights in switch back in the late '90's, also thursdays in the kitchen got their fare share of it, as did thursdays in the redbox.

You mean like all the mangled students in the Good Bits on a Saturday Night? Or the Twisted Pepper on a Wednesday Night? Still a minority in the overall scheme of things, and I'm sure it was then too.

• Advertisement

i never said it wasnt a minority, but they werent dancing around to 2 fvckin idiots pretending to be daft punk pretending to dj.

i never said it wasnt a minority, but they werent dancing around to 2 fvckin idiots pretending to be daft punk pretending to dj.

The people that were at that would be the people who'd normally be in D2 or 21s, they definitely aren't the dance crowd, I can tell you that. There are still just as many students into house as there were in the 90s!

bare in mind i did say good house and techno

bare in mind i did say good house and techno

Ah you're just picking straws now.

There's.... 6 DJs off the top of my head on this thread who are students, including myself and electrogrimey. 4 of them have residencies and 3 of them produce as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭djscubasteve

Well they're the ONLY Daft Punk tribute act in the country, so by definition... :rolleyes:

Not true...
    http://www.facebook.com/search/?init=srp&sfxp=&q=daft+punkd&gl=1&lo=&sp=#!/event.php?eid=124006354281370&index=1

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Idiots...far from it. These guys have found a market and they're making the most of it. At the end of the day you can mix as much minimalist techno once every two weeks at some underground (for want of a better world) club as you like and these guys are still making more money than you from appealling to the mass market.

Whilst their mixing skills might be crap they're hardly going to pull the plug on it because those of us who know how to DJ think they're crap.

Real FM wrote: »
    Idiots...far from it. These guys have found a market and they're making the most of it. At the end of the day you can mix as much minimalist techno once every two weeks at some underground (for want of a better world) as you like an dthese guys are still making mor emoney from you appealling to the mass market.

Whilst their mixing skills might be crap they're hardly going to pull the plug on it because those of us who know how to DJ think they're crap.

It's just the fact that they're not actually DJing, but pretending to that annoys me. It's the same as lip-syncing, and anyone caught doing that gets stick. If they were mediocre DJs making a mint I wouldn't mind, but someone in a suit doing nothing making a mint is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

These guys have found a market and they're making the most of it. At the end of the day you can mix as much minimalist techno once every two weeks at some underground (for want of a better world) club as you like and these guys are still making more money than you from appealling to the mass market.

Mr blobby was appealing to a mass market, stood there in a stupid suit & did nothing simply to make loads of money & nothing else so to argue in favor of a tribute band based on that set of criteria truly shows that this is nothing to do with music but rather creaming money off willing punters.

Let them do what they want to do but they are not tallented at all & serve no real purpose other than the pursuit of finacial gain........a love of music has nothing to do with the money as im sure any of the DJ's on here from the Past or Present will tell you once you feel that fire in the room when the crowd surges with energy in response to a track that has been thought about & pondered over whether to play or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Conor OH!

Idiots...far from it. These guys have found a market and they're making the most of it. At the end of the day you can mix as much minimalist techno once every two weeks at some underground (for want of a better world) club as you like and these guys are still making more money than you from appealling to the mass market.

for people who are genuinely interested in music, the money doesnt matter. i've been gigging regularly for about 5 years now, producing and i dont make much money, but im satisfied i havent sold my soul to some marketing douche just so i can make a show of myself on a stage with imitations of real art and imagination.

in short... money kills art.

and that's pretty obvious from what has happened here is it not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Real FM

Mr blobby was appealing to a mass market, stood there in a stupid suit & did nothing simply to make loads of money & nothing else so to argue in favor of a tribute band based on that set of criteria truly shows that this is nothing to do with music but rather creaming money off willing punters.

Let them do what they want to do but they are not tallented at all & serve no real purpose other than the pursuit of finacial gain........a love of music has nothing to do with the money as im sure any of the DJ's on here from the Past or Present will tell you once you feel that fire in the room when the crowd surges with energy in response to a track that has been thought about & pondered over whether to play or not.

And where exactly in my post did I say they were doing it for the love of music? I completely agree that they probably do this for financial gain.

My point is that posters are off cue in slagging off their production skills when they have never claimed to have any.

Advertisement