Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "reset" button on a SL1210mk5

Options
  • 16-10-2006 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

Been trying to find out online but can't find anything. What exactly does it do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

Resets the pitch to 0 I believe. What I can't figure out though, is what happens to the pitch slider when you press this button - is it motorized? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Resets the pitch to 0 I believe. What I can't figure out though, is what happens to the pitch slider when you press this button - is it motorized? :confused:
    Yeah, that's the thing that I don't understand. Does it slide it back to 0 or does whereever you have the slider become the new 0????

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Alvis

When you press the button it locks it to 0, when you depress, it disables the lock and it goes back to the pitch that the slider is in. The slider does not move or neither does it become the new zero. At least that's what I think, I wish I could afford one ;)

What's the point of that? Can't really see any benefit in justing locking it to zero. Think I'll just stay with my mk2's then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

BaZmO* wrote:
    What's the point of that? Can't really see any benefit in justing locking it to zero. Think I'll just stay with my mk2's then!
    was just thinking the same:p
    gotta love em, 0% pitch dip and all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

first off theres no sticky pitch on mk5's which is the best addition ever. i detest mk2's, the older the get the worse they get too as the pitch bends around that 0 mark! the pitch lock at 0 is very importnat for me too when i record my vinyl to wav's for playing digitally. mk5's are simply better built. i love mine to bits. i wish the bloody clubs would follow, i hate coming across mk2's which are basically everywhere as you have to keep it at least .5% away from the 0 mark on mk2's. I also use the picth for correcting which is made harder on the mk2's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭monkey tennis

BaZmO* wrote:

The problem with making something almost perfect in the first place, is there are only so many add-ons and modifications you can make when you get to mk5 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id imagine that the point of it is: while you have the button held, the deck returns to 0bpm, when you release it it goes back to where the pitch slider is

basically turning the button into a pitch bend, for minor tweaks that wont be heard in the mix

Helix wrote:
    id imagine that the point of it is: while you have the button held, the deck returns to 0bpm, when you release it it goes back to where the pitch slider is

basically turning the button into a pitch bend, for minor tweaks that wont be heard in the mix
    That would actually be useful but according to Bambatta it doesn't work like that. All it is is a lock that holds the pitch at 0. I think? I'm still not quite sure what it does though. :confused:

could be for consumer use so

• Advertisement

Helix wrote:
    could be for consumer use so
    Ya what now???

as in for people who arent djs and are just using the turntable for listening to records

if they bang on the reset switch, they know everythings gonna be at the speed it was intended to be at

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Bambaata

thats all i can see it as. Its like the sticky point on the MK2 but they realised the majority of people buying the deck were DJs who didnt want to set it to 0 and the sticky point is a slight hinderance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

I dont see their logic in adding a quartz lock button as well as the sticky point ....

solution ?......
    When your pitch fader or target light goes (and the 20 or so screws have been removed from the botton of the turntable) you "could" dissassemble the fader itself (few clips) carefully and remove the ball bearing + spring that makes the click. Have seen it (and done it) on a few technics decks and it makes life much easier (and vestax'y).

Better to test on an old fader first if you have the option, either that or the tech might do it for ya.

Just an idea if it really bothers you.

the clicky 0 point bit was removed from the mk3 onwards

deevey wrote:
    solution ?......
    When your pitch fader or target light goes (and the 20 or so screws have been removed from the botton of the turntable) you "could" dissassemble the fader itself (few clips) carefully and remove the ball bearing + spring that makes the click. Have seen it (and done it) on a few technics decks and it makes life much easier (and vestax'y).
    Hmmm.... Didn' tknow that you could do that. Although im sorry i found that out cos I've to replace my 2 target lights and you've got me thinking now......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Should mention its no walk in the park replacing your faders so unless you are 80% sure you can do it ...DONT!

Also the fact that you have to dissassemble them AND still keep em working is also a little tricky (opening em is the easy bit)

If in doubt .. get a decent tech (the crap ones will probably go .. errrr ahhh ohhh ... why ?) :P

Laters

I don't always resurect Zombie threads, but when I do, I go for at least 6 years. :D

I'm bumping this because I finally got the answer to my original question here while looking for something else. Interesting enough, and explains why the pitch can go crazy around the zero mark. It's basically about pitch calibration. Fairly interesting (or boring, depending on your nerd skills) vidjo here that shows you how to calibrate your deck, which someone actually linked to somewhere on here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Jaysus, I wonder how many people who posted in the original thread still have their 1210s? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

BaZmO* wrote: »
    I don't always resurect Zombie threads, but when I do, I go for at least 6 years. :D

I'm bumping this because I finally got the answer to my original question here while looking for something else. Interesting enough, and explains why the pitch can go crazy around the zero mark. It's basically about pitch calibration. Fairly interesting (or boring, depending on your nerd skills) vidjo here that shows you how to calibrate your deck, which someone actually linked to somewhere on here recently.
    That is a fecking sweet find BaZmO*. Now for the courage to actually go ahead and implement the change....

• Advertisement

joker77 wrote: »
    That is a fecking sweet find BaZmO*. Now for the courage to actually go ahead and implement the change....
    Even though the mod would be reversible, I wouldn't be too keen about cutting resistors on the circuit board, especially when you could just rectify the problem by calibrating the deck as detailed in the video. Although it is interesting the amount of mods you can actually do.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

Nice - just tried both my decks and fine at 0 but the dots are not static on either when pitched to +6, in my case they are static around 5.5. I've often wondered should I get my decks serviced, I've had them about 18 years and only ever replaced cartridges, stylus and slipmats.

I'll have to see if I've the balls to open them up now at the weekend and sort out the pitch!

I'll have to see if I've the balls to open them up now at the weekend and sort out the pitch!
    oooooohhh!!!

oooooohhh!!!

Ok, the courage :pac:

It doesn't look that difficult a procedure anyway, I think I'd be mega cautious though and unplug them rather than just power off.

Nice - just tried both my decks and fine at 0 but the dots are not static on either when pitched to +6, in my case they are static around 5.5.
    Just to add.... As the first link explains, they will always be fine at 0.
    The reason is that the deck resets to a true zero value once you have the the pitch in the marked 0 position (green light on) regardless of the what the pitch value should actually be, relative to the rest of slider. Essentially giving you 2 zero values, one out of calibration zero value, and one true zero value (when it has the green light on) The mod in the link is to stop it resetting to true zero when the light is on.

That's my understanding of it. :confused:

Just to add.... As the first link explains, they will always be fine at 0.
    The reason is that the deck resets to a true zero value once you have the the pitch in the marked 0 position (green light on) regardless of the what the pitch value should actually be, relative to the rest of slider. Essentially giving you 2 zero values, one out of calibration zero value, and one true zero value (when it has the green light on) The mod in the link is to stop it resetting to true zero when the light is on.

That's my understanding of it. :confused:

Ah ok, I didn't watch the first video yet. So what difference would it actually make in terms of mixing and pitching tracks? Surely beat matching will be no different, just where you pitch on each deck is 'technically' not the correct level as per the original setting?

Ah ok, I didn't watch the first video yet.
    First link isn't a video, it's just a link (http://technics.junglist.pl/hacking_technics.html) that explains what Quartz Lock is and how to stop it happening.
    So what difference would it actually make in terms of mixing and pitching tracks? Surely beat matching will be no different, just where you pitch on each deck is 'technically' not the correct level as per the original setting?
    It doesn't make any difference really. The problem only occurs when you get to the green light zero.

You've said that the smaller dots on your deck are static at 5.5 instead of 6.0, that means that it's out of calibration by 0.5, so your true zero value is at 0.5 past your green light zero.

So as you're sliding the pitch to zero you'll be going in steady increments, and if you had no quartz lock (the deck resetting to true zero), when you got to the 0 it should actually be -0.5

I hope I'm explaining this right (although I know I'm not) I work better with diagrams!!

edit: here's a pic that shows it.

pitch_slider.jpg

First link isn't a video, it's just a link (http://technics.junglist.pl/hacking_technics.html) that explains what Quartz Lock is and how to stop it happening.

It doesn't make any difference really. The problem only occurs when you get to the green light zero.

You've said that the smaller dots on your deck are static at 5.5 instead of 6.0, that means that it's out of calibration by 0.5, so your true zero value is at 0.5 past your green light zero.

So as you're sliding the pitch to zero you'll be going in steady increments, and if you had no quartz lock (the deck resetting to true zero), when you got to the 0 it should actually be -0.5

I hope I'm explaining this right (although I know I'm not) I work better with diagrams!!

edit: here's a pic that shows it.

pitch_slider.jpg

Yeah get what you are saying alright, well explained - it was what I had figured but what I couldn't figure was if it actually made a difference to pitching a track - I suppose even being aware that they are not properly calibrated is somewhat annoying, even if it doesn't actually make a difference. Removing the pitch lock is another story though, that really bugs me.

• Advertisement

Fck that, just read over the description of how to remove the pitch lock and I definitely would not take that risk - snipping wires and removing resistor 'TP17' :eek:

Advertisement