Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sie oder du????????

• 10-07-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    I'm currently in Germany doing Praktikum on a farm in Bavaria for the holidays. The problem is I'm not sure whether to use du oder Sie when speaking with the farmer. I tend to switch from formal to informal without knowing. He uses du with me but should I still use Sie.
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

Unless he is very relaxed/informal, you should use Sie. He can use 'du' with you because you are of lower social standing than him (he is your boss).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭MF290

Unless he is very relaxed/informal, you should use Sie. He can use 'du' with you because you are of lower social standing than him (he is your boss).

Thanks will do!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

He will tell you if you can use "du". He's say "Du kannst mich dutzen", or "du kannst mich "du" sagen".

Been there, bought the tee-shirt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭Niall_daaS

General rule is that the older person and/or the person with the higher standing (eg your boss, your customer...) offers the "Du". Unless that happend you use "Sie". In more relaxed situations like in a bar or at the stadium or at the gym when meeting strangers that are approx. your age you wouldn't care about that rule and use the "Du" anyway.

Niall_daaS wrote: »
    General rule is that the older person and/or the person with the higher standing (eg your boss, your customer...) offers the "Du". Unless that happend you use "Sie". In more relaxed situations like in a bar or at the stadium or at the gym when meeting strangers that are approx. your age you wouldn't care about that rule and use the "Du" anyway.
    Another thing worth noting is not to be offended if they don't use your first name in a work/formal context. When I worked there first, I used to introduce myself by my first name and, when they would reply with Frau XX, I would say "Oh, call me Katy". But they insisted on using my title. It took me a while to realise that they are much more formal than we in Ireland are, and they will only use your first name when they know you much better, in other words when they move from "Sie" to "du".

As you say, it's not set in stone, and in some less formal situations, "du" comes much easier. But in a work situation, you definitely wait for them to give the hints.

• Advertisement

katydid wrote: »
    Another thing worth noting is not to be offended if they don't use your first name in a work/formal context. When I worked there first, I used to introduce myself by my first name and, when they would reply with Frau XX, I would say "Oh, call me Katy". But they insisted on using my title. It took me a while to realise that they are much more formal than we in Ireland are, and they will only use your first name when they know you much better, in other words when they move from "Sie" to "du".

As you say, it's not set in stone, and in some less formal situations, "du" comes much easier. But in a work situation, you definitely wait for them to give the hints.

We both use first names, after a few days he said he's a friend rather than a boss. I'll stick to formal until he says dutzen. Earlier on I think I used du by accident and corrected myself, not sure if he took offence or not! Anyone my own age or a few yrs olderimmediately says not to use formal. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

If someone introduces themselves with their first name, you're good to go with "Du".

Germans don't do first names and "Sie" ...that's just awkward :D

It's either Herr/Frau soundso und "Sie" or Paul/Paula and "du"

In a way introducing yourself (or referring to yourself) by your first name is the less socially awkward and complicated form of "Du kannst ruhig "Du" zu mir sagen". As soon as the first name is mentioned, the "Du" is implied.

It works the other way round as well though. When Germans introduce themselves as Herr/Frau XYZ they want to keep their distance (at least for the time being) and it would be somewhat presumptious or even rude to introduce yourself with your first name only ...you'd be seen to be pushing for informality / not respecting the boundaries.

MF290 wrote: »
    We both use first names, after a few days he said he's a friend rather than a boss. I'll stick to formal until he says dutzen. Earlier on I think I used du by accident and corrected myself, not sure if he took offence or not! Anyone my own age or a few yrs olderimmediately says not to use formal. Thanks!
    It sounds like he'd be ok with it, but I'd still wait for the indications from him.

When I was eighteen, I worked in a café in Germany for the summer. There was an old man who used to come in for his couple of beers every evening. My German wasn't very good at the time, and I used to use "du" to this old gentleman without thinking. My employer heard me one evening, and tore strips off me in front of him. He waved his hand and told her to leave me alone, I was a young girl and a foreigner, and I didn't know their ways.

It didn't stop my employer grumbling at me for days, but the man understood...

katydid wrote: »
    It sounds like he'd be ok with it, but I'd still wait for the indications from him.

When I was eighteen, I worked in a café in Germany for the summer. There was an old man who used to come in for his couple of beers every evening. My German wasn't very good at the time, and I used to use "du" to this old gentleman without thinking. My employer heard me one evening, and tore strips off me in front of him. He waved his hand and told her to leave me alone, I was a young girl and a foreigner, and I didn't know their ways.

It didn't stop my employer grumbling at me for days, but the man understood...

I haven't got my head eaten off me just yet! I think he looked at me a bit funny on the first day or second day when I used du by accident. He hasn't held it against me anyway. I'll wait for him to say, dint want to come across as cheeky or rude. Thanks

Advertisement