Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Same phone, new country?

Options
  • 22-01-2013 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭

Anyone any experience of moving to a new country and retaining their phone, and the ins and outs of that situation?

I'm soon to be in the US for a few months and then Canada indefinitely, so obviously I'll need a new network etc. in Canada, and maybe a short-term thing in the US(?), rather than paying roaming charges which would be outside my current plan with o2.

I'm on a six-month contract with o2, which ends in April/May, so I assume I'm locked into that anyway (leaving in March), but I haven't yet looked into how to make sure my contract is cancelled after that either.

I'd also prefer to keep my phone and just sign to a new network over there, so what should I be aware of in that case?
    If it matters, my phone's a Samsung Galaxy Ace, and it's rooted.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭partnership

You will need to get it unlocked before you go. Your provider will usually do this for you but may incur a small charge. You need to check that the phone will work in US as they have a different system. Also my understanding is that in the US you are charged for incoming and outgoing calls so be aware.

Advertisement