Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Roaming with Meteor

Options
  • 03-05-2011 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

A quick question for anyone that may have had experience with this.

Meteor have a national roaming agreement with Vodafone while in certain parts of the West where GSM coverage is not available. I've used this in the past for Voice/SMS (parts of Galway and Mayo). I have an Android handset with Data roaming disabled and my data connection dropped as a result. Does anyone know if you can use data on the Vodafone network while national roaming with Meteor? (I'm sure its probably possible, but would it come out of your data bundle?)

/T

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

You would have to ring up meteor and ask, I'd guess it's included tho.

Note, national roaming and international roaming are different things. Newer versions of android have an option to enable/disable both types. 3 use national roaming on vodafone, and it causes major problems in my experience (loss of internet until airplane mode toggled).

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

srsly78 wrote: »
    You would have to ring up meteor and ask, I'd guess it's included tho.

Note, national roaming and international roaming are different things. Newer versions of android have an option to enable/disable both types. 3 use national roaming on vodafone, and it causes major problems in my experience (loss of internet until airplane mode toggled).

No need to worry, this has only come up recently as Android software doesn't recognise National Roaming agreements.

All voice/sms/data will deplete from your bundles as usual.

Meteor have had NR agreements with O2 for a short time and now Voda (soon to be O2 again) since launch and only Android phones will tell you are roaming.

Be careful to disable Data Roaming if you are going abroad though.

Menu - settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - data roaming.

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Not correct.

Anyone using 3 has been doing national roaming on vodafone for years. It's just that an OPTION to disable it has appeared in newer versions of android. It has always actually been recognised.

Whether the little R appears in status bar or not is completely irrelevant and even differs from android phone to phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Max Power 2010

No.1 He is talking about meteor, not 3!

No.2. NR agreements are pre programmed into the sim config and the running software on the OPs phone obviously doesn't recognise this.

No.3 The OP asked for advice and I think I supplied a sufficient answer, correct or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭TeaServer

Thanks for the replies guys.

@Max, have you experience with Meteor specifically with NR? Have you encountered any issue as described by srsly78 with regard to the airplane mode on/off?
    No need to worry, this has only come up recently as Android software doesn't recognise National Roaming agreements.

All voice/sms/data will deplete from your bundles as usual.

Meteor have had NR agreements with O2 for a short time and now Voda (soon to be O2 again) since launch and only Android phones will tell you are roaming.

Be careful to disable Data Roaming if you are going abroad though.

Menu - settings - wireless & networks - mobile networks - data roaming.

M.

I didn't really want to activate just in case I would be charged €10.24/MiB! I'll try it the next time I'm over in the west.

/T

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭cjc0101

old thred I know, but thought an update might be good if people new to meteor are still wondering! I am currently alternating between meteor and Vodafone coverage, only difference is 3g/EDGE/GPRS on meteor, and only 2g GPRS on Vodafone, both are patchy in parts of the midlands, as I said only difference is speed, Vodafone give access to its overcrowded and slow 2G GPRS network, so using the internet can take an age, calls/texts/emails are fine! but to get emails I had to turn data roaming, so be careful if are near the border!

regards charging, calls/texts/internet/free texts are charged/not charged as if on the meteor network, in my experience, so no worries there!

I've had no problems switching from network to network, I've not needed airplane toggling.

posted while roaming on Vodafone, 20/01/2013

I didn't really want to activate just in case I would be charged €10.24/MiB! I'll try it the next time I'm over in the west.

/T[/Quote]

Advertisement