Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NFC Tags

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SkySter

nedd wrote: »
    OK, so i am using the tags right now. Like I mentioned there is memory on the tag that can be written to. Each command is only small so you can fit a good few on it.

You can re-write the tags.

Set up Tasks on the app as follows:
    Task Arrive in work:
    turn on wifi / Turn phone to vibrate

Task Leave Work:
    Turn off wifi / turn phone to normal volume / open Music app.

create a new Switch tag that when scanned will run the first task, when scanned again will run the second task.

brilliant so far.

One thing you're going to find frustrating is that the NFC service is disabled when the screen is locked, so tags won't read unless the screen is on. This is an ICS security "feature". I've seen a few posts on XDA forums where people are trying to enable it, but so far seems quite difficult to do.

The reason for that is nfc is on its way to becoming an alternative way to pay for things. Security is needed otherwise anyone could come along and "skim" you're phone to take money or of your account. That's a very basic summary. Google it if you want a more indepth explanation

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

IS NFC the same tech used in Dublin bus rambler tickets btw?

I am just curious?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

errlloyd wrote: »

I am just curious?

Scan one and see. Its possible the readers are dual, but its likely they're both 13.56.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Sorry I already asked this in the HTC One forum ...

Has anyone managed to use the tags to switch off the phone security? As in I don't want to have to put in my pin/face unlock when I'm at home so it'd be great to disable it!

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

I think that was a restriction brought in with Android 4. It won't allow you to unlock the phone via an app.
    Glowing wrote: »

Has anyone managed to use the tags to switch off the phone security? As in I don't want to have to put in my pin/face unlock when I'm at home so it'd be great to disable it!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

Thanks - but I don't want to actually unlock the phone with the tag - I want to disable the need to have to enter a PIN in order to unlock it ... or is that what you meant? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

errlloyd wrote: »

I am just curious?

I just scanned mine and the phone just beeped, nothing happened after that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,088 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Thanks - but I don't want to actually unlock the phone with the tag - I want to disable the need to have to enter a PIN in order to unlock it ... or is that what you meant? :)

If you have ICS you can change the lock screen setting to none instead of PIN/slide/pattern or whatever, if this is what you mean

Settings >> Security >> Screen lock >> none

or do you mean change this setting with the NFC tag, like you change wireless on/off, etc.? If so i'm not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Thanks

You could do this with tasker although it might be even better to do it with tasker based on your wifi at home

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭blankblank

Is ebay the best place to buy??

Anybody buy the NTAG203 tags? Is the memory sufficient to have a task on it i.e turn on wifi, turn of sound, open browser etc?? or would the standard 1K tags be a better choice?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fanatec

Davie89 wrote: »
    Is ebay the best place to buy??

Anybody buy the NTAG203 tags? Is the memory sufficient to have a task on it i.e turn on wifi, turn of sound, open browser etc?? or would the standard 1K tags be a better choice?

AirNFC in Limerick sell these tags, afaik they can do everything the standard 1k tags can and are more responsive and have a longer reading distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

i have been messing with mine and I have noticed something to do with the phone I didn't think would happen.

I have a NFC tag in the car to turn on the Bluetooth when i swipe once and turn it back off when i swipe again. I have the sticker on my car dock.

But when i put the phone into the car dock and unlock the screen it scans the tag. then every time i unlock the screen while in the car it scans the tag again.

So my bluetooth keeps turning on and off :-(

I didn't realise this would happen. I thought I would have to move the phone away from the tag to tag on and off. oohh well. I suppose i can just move the sticker somewhere else in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

i have been messing with mine and I have noticed something to do with the phone I didn't think would happen.

I have a NFC tag in the car to turn on the Bluetooth when i swipe once and turn it back off when i swipe again. I have the sticker on my car dock.

But when i put the phone into the car dock and unlock the screen it scans the tag. then every time i unlock the screen while in the car it scans the tag again.

I didn't realise this would happen. I thought I would have to move the phone away from the tag to tag on and off. oohh well. I suppose i can just move the sticker somewhere else in the car.

I put mine near the top of the dock so it scans as im putting it in then switches again as im taking it out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

There might be a setting to turn off NFC when locked / screen off (which makes sense as a security measure). Maybe you could turn this off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

matrim wrote: »
    There might be a setting to turn off NFC when locked / screen off (which makes sense as a security measure). Maybe you could turn this off

yeah the NFC only scans when the screen is on and unlocked. But still when i unlock the screen to read a text (while parked ;-) ) the bluetooth turns off.

I will just move it. Just pointing out it was something i didn't really think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Got a pack of 10 earlier in the week. Now looking for ideas to use them!

I've one on the TV remote at home - which launches a TV Listings app. :)

Put another on my students union loyalty card which brings me to a page with my balance on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

J o e wrote: »
    Got a pack of 10 earlier in the week. Now looking for ideas to use them!

I've one on the TV remote at home - which launches a TV Listings app. :)

Put another on my students union loyalty card which brings me to a page with my balance on it.

I like that idea with the remote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I have 2 on the laptop, one for sync opens Airdroid and Swiftp on phone, other as a switch for hotspot on/off. I have beside bed and front door already. Looking for some more good ideas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

So I got myself 5 of these tags and messing around with them now. Anyone still using these?

Trying to figure out some practical uses for them. Will come in handy for the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I've just ordered a few stickers there, should have them by the weekend so I can have a play with them and see what's what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

This is quite a useful app, it seems to be more powerful than some and easier to use than tasker

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.anytag.android

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

What are the best stickers to get?

The ones I had were not that sticky and ended up losing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

Well I got some tags and so far so good for the most part. I'm using "AnyTAG NFC launcher". I have one in the car which among other things, turns on bluetooth. Now if I turn it on manually, it will scan for a paired device and I just click connect, but if bluetooth is turned on via the nfc tag, it doesn't appear to scan. i have to manually tell it to search...which kind of defeats the purpose.

Any ideas if it's something I'm doing wrong, or if there is a setting I can change somewhere? It's a galaxy S3 if that makes a difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lardy

Should be picking up my new Note 2 later this week and was planning on ordering a few NFC tags...

Would anyone know the difference between these two:

http://www.airnfc.com/collections/all/products/nfc-tag-ntag203

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271117157413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_711wt_1344

€9 for ten on ebay Vs €20 for ten on airnfc is quite a bit of a difference!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

Lardy wrote: »
    Should be picking up my new Note 2 later this week and was planning on ordering a few NFC tags...

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/271117157413?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_711wt_1344

Thanks

Just had a quick look but I would go for the ones on ebay tbh! Might pick some up myself to replace the old nfcair ones I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Fanatec

Lardy wrote: »

Thanks

Airnfc seem to have some tags for €1.49. Not sure if there's a difference form the others apart from the logos.
    http://www.airnfc.com/collections/all/products/nfc-ntag203-white

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Got mine from the ebay link on the 19th - arrived today.

...However my GS3 got 'Sudden Death' so no way to play around with them.
    Oh well, just have to wait. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement