Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conan

Options
  • 10-12-2010 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭

Doesn't seem to be a thread here so...
    Anyone watching the new Conan.
    He's a naturally funny guy so i had high hopes, but i'm a bit underwhelmed tbh.

Guests aren't brilliant.
    He doesn't seem to be as relaxed or something.
    And the TBS/i got shafted thing is wearing a bit.
    The fact it airs a week later here doesn't help.
    Just wondering has the 20 mill made him lazy. :p

He had the Kardashian sisters (think Paris Hilton but not as classy) on last night and thought FFS.

Hope it picks up.
    Opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I've only seen the first episode and thought it was ok. Was going to catch up then add it to my general viewing after Christmas but I've not been hearing fantastic things about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I've watched a few and it's good viewing

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I love it, but I wasn't expecting him to re-invent the wheel. Conan is a host that has been groomed for network anchoring his whole career basically since leaving the Simpsons. Now he's not network anymore and he has a chance to be a bit more naughty; but at the end of the day it's still the same network format: Monologue/guests/skit/guests/music.

His monologue is longer now and funnier, because he's allowed to talk about more things and take the piss out of more things. NBC is known for being a bit strict when it comes to their product/brand loyalty (I genuinely don't know how SNL and 30Rock get away with what they say about NBC/GE/Universal/Comcast("Kabletown" :D).

Give Conan time. Already I think his show is funnier... he's fighting a legal battle with NBC over his characters for sketches etc.

I think there is less ass-kissing of the guests too. He's having guests on that he wants to have on... not those that are just plugging some **** they are doing.

He is using the old tried and true format, but give him time and I think we'll see a shift back towards more of the Late Night and genuine fun they used to have.
    I think the first year is risky for Conan, but once he gets his stride I think the show will take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Why the f**k do 3e have to show it at midnight?? It cannot be the case that they can't put it on any earlier beacuse of the quality programming that's on before it. :mad::rolleyes:

The programme is a week old; couldn't they put it on around 11pm or are they afraid to put Vincent's nose out of joint??

tallpaul wrote: »
    Why the f**k do 3e have to show it at midnight?? It cannot be the case that they can't put it on any earlier beacuse of the quality programming that's on before it. :mad::rolleyes:

The programme is a week old; couldn't they put it on around 11pm or are they afraid to put Vincent's nose out of joint??
    I can't get my head around why it has to be a week old. From what I've heard other European countries are getting it the next evening.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Shane10

why so late, anyone working in the morning wont wait up. why not stick it on at 9 or 10pm. you have someone like conan and they shove it on at all hours. beyond reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Isn't it a late night programme in America too?

Anyway I can never get past the monologue, it's crap. I'll always love Coco though, he wrote for The Simpsons during the good times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

just saw the end of it yesterday, when the band finished he shook all the members hands....except the drummers :pac:

tallpaul wrote: »
    Why the f**k do 3e have to show it at midnight??

If it was on at 9 or 10 I would actually tune into 3e every evening but midnight is past my bedtime.

Saila wrote: »
    just saw the end of it yesterday, when the band finished he shook all the members hands....except the drummers :pac:
    He had Cake on last week... I effing love Cake! Saw them when I was a teenager in an outdoor concert in the US with the Violent Femmes... legendary stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

OisinT wrote: »
    He had Cake on last week... I effing love Cake! Saw them when I was a teenager in an outdoor concert in the US with the Violent Femmes... legendary stuff!

I love their cover of I will survive.
    Best cover ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Hmmm.... 3e advertised this on sky as a new episode tonight, but it's one from earlier in the week. I stayed up for nothing :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I think its very good,I watch it I dont wait up tho but I always watch every episode.I think he is having alot more fun than on NBC,im not sure where you getting he is not having any fun OP.

What guests are you expecting,if you watch Leno/letterman/jimmy fallon they have the same guests just conan is way better and funnier.If you see the Eva Mendes episode she just came on because she wanted to not pluging anything,tom hanks,will ferrel,even had slash in the band last week.

In my opinion cant be beat!

But saying that this cant be beat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuLsXHzE1t8&feature=player_embedded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Conan doesn't appear in the listings after Friday, have 3e dropped it already? I don't think I could take losing both The Daily Show and Conan in one week.

Christmas break?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

amacachi wrote: »
    Christmas break?

Fingers crossed, although it doesn't show up in the listings for 3rd January either.

Looks to be a lengthy break and will return in January
    Digiguide wrote:
    ANIMATION: Conan
    On: 3e
    Date: Monday 17th January 2011 (starting in 25 days)
    Time: 23:15 to 00:15 (1 hour long)

Comedy icon Conan O'Brien returns to television with Conan a new, hour-long late-night talk show. An impressive list of well-known celebrities, cutting-edge comedy sketches, and musical guests have made the Emmy-nominated comedian the show of choice for viewers who long for a little something different.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

3e are a week behind aren't they? I would've guessed it went on break in America at the end of last week so if it's back around the 10th there it'll be back the 17th here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

Old thread but meh!

I'm watching Conan now and although he looks like he's made of play dough he is quite funny :)

Advertisement