Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are zombies the new vampires?

Options
  • 10-12-2010 6:05pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Are we in for a wave of zomibe shows now?

Zomibes the new vampires? 9 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Hopefully not, Twilight did the impossible and made vampires uncool.

Doubtful. Zombies were always bigger than Vampires. So if anything, Vampires are becoming the new Zombie.

They'll probably just try and add some depth to them. They're mindless killing machines, nothing more and nothing less.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

No, to give zombies any kind of emotion that little girls would like makes them no longer zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If I see one ****ing emo glittering zombie...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,322 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

forget zombies and vampires, seemingly the next big thing coming according to the big publishers is Angels

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Zombies were always interesting, youll see a few zombie films soon including tge film of the book world war z.

The book world war z was very good imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Are you serious? A f*cking thread saying that zombies are the new vampires? After 1 zombie show has aired? And 1 really bad show too, imo, I hated the Walking Dead - the pilot episode showed so much promise, I loved it and couldn't wait for the new episode to come out....and we were left with a load of crap for the next 5 episodes. It seems as though they have more ideas then they do time.

The "finale" was woeful. Introducing new characters when older characters haven't been mentioned since the first or 2nd episode, and still no mention of them. I'm not watching Lost anymore, just tell me what is going on!

Don't get me wrong, fair play to the person who finally had the guts to try and make a TV show about zombies after so long, but it just seemed like they weren't given anywhere near enough time for a whole series in just 6 episodes...

But, come to think of it, with zombies you shouldn't need more then that! "Oh my family was eaten" "Mine too!" "Lets go survive somewhere with f*ck all ammo or guns" Its always the same.

Vampire's unfortunately, have been dumbed-down and filled with gay emotion by the film-makers of America, but I remember a time when I genuinely feared the thought of the existence of Vampires, and that is why I honestly enjoyed anything on TV or in the cinema that involved them. Vampires can have great stories, and so much can be done with it from different approaches (Buffy to True Blood, as two separate examples), but it has become a subject that has now been "children-ized" (for want of a better word that I cannot think of!). Gone are the 18's-rated gore-fests involving Zombie's and Vampires. Now children want to see everything and anything to do with Vampires since Twilight, it leaves nothing truly fear-inducing for the rest of us older folk.

Zombie movies and TV shows... what can you do with a Zombie story that has not been done to death already? It is a brain-dead human, who needs to eat the flesh of other humans to survive. What can be added to this that has not been done already by "Resident Evil" and other video games/stories alike? There's never a cure and there never will be a new and "Original" show/film on the subject.

IMO both Vampires and Zombies are dead to me, since Twilight (vampires) and now Walking Dead (Zombies). I look forward to the day that something unique and original (while sticking to the correct back stories of how vampires and zombies become what they are) is released that will make me sit up and notice. I honestly don't think that day will ever come.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

wow...mega rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

wow...mega rant.

I just couldn't stop typing... Sorry!

Jesus Cianan! Calm down! It's only the internet ;)

But all this talk of fluffy Vampires and how they couldn't do that to zombies...

I take it you all missed this?

I thought it was a semi funny, quite sweet film. Awesome cast as well. I just guess there was no money left to actually market it. I'd love to say Billy Conolly plays a stormer, but it must've been hard for him to shut up for so long!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

What just happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

JJJJNR wrote: »
    What just happened.

Zombies have broken through the defences at Boards HQ....if it comes down to it i'm gonna push some of you posters into the line of fire and scarper out the backdoor :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

arent vampires techincally zombies anyway? reanimated corpses and all that jazz..

They're Zombies who have their conscious intact, I suppose.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Vikings will be the next big thing. Angels... pfff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Papa Smut wrote: »
    Jesus Cianan! Calm down! It's only the internet ;)

But all this talk of fluffy Vampires and how they couldn't do that to zombies...

I take it you all missed this?

I thought it was a semi funny, quite sweet film. Awesome cast as well. I just guess there was no money left to actually market it. I'd love to say Billy Conolly plays a stormer, but it must've been hard for him to shut up for so long!
    I did actually. Might have to check it out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

AMC made Zombies work because they had a big budget and are a cable channel so can get away with more than Network stations can. The same way True Blood works. A bigger budget means better writers and better special effects. HBO and AMC also appeal their shows to the older, mature audience.

The likes of NBC, CW and ABC target most of their shows (especially the vampire ones) to the younger, tween audience. They also cant get away with as much as cable channels. That is why their shows suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

Cianan2 wrote: »
    both Vampires and Zombies are dead to me

and everybody else

Advertisement