Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Poor youtube playback - UPC

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

same here for months. just on youtube, almost exclusively with 720p and 1080p. other qualities will load okay often, but not always.

vimeo is a snap, every single time. other sites are okay, and DL speeds in general are as expected (that is, after resetting the router once a week, which i've called upc in regards to 5 times, and they've still done nothing except talk about wireless interference with neighbours ... even though i'm plugged directly in with an ethernet cable) ... sigh.

oh well, it's not like this silly little site called youtube is important or popular or going to catch on any time soon...

*edit*
    just did some (more) digging around and found about blocking certain ips that deal with throttling. got it working on my winXP, and so far all the 1080p i've tried have been loading straight up, no problem!!! now if only i could do this on the router so the whole house could enjoy youtube again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭twinsen

personguy wrote: »

*edit*
    just did some (more) digging around and found about blocking certain ips that deal with throttling. got it working on my winXP, and so far all the 1080p i've tried have been loading straight up, no problem!!! now if only i could do this on the router so the whole house could enjoy youtube again...

could you share with us what needs to be done to sort this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 95 ✭✭personguy

it's not really worth sharing the specifics of what i eventually configured, but if you google around for "upc youtube" and find hits related to throttling and blocking a range of ips, then you should be able to find a solution that suits you. it's different on linux, different on mac, different on xp than on 7, and then different again from router to router. for instance, i haven't found a way to change the appropriate settings in the stock firmware with the cisco router that i currently have with upc, however the firmware did just magically change within the last week (i saw a few options just completely disappear that were there last week) .. so, with all these variables, i would suggest just doing your own quick googling around, looking for upc and youtube and ip blocking all in the same hits. for some it's as easy as just typing something into a console. for me i had to use a strange console feature of xp and add a bunch of data individually as i couldn't find a way to follow the instructions i'd found online for blocking a whole range... so, rather than drag someone through all that, again, just read around for how and what to block to get this working on your setup. the info i stumbled upon took less than 5 minutes to find and read, then about 45 minutes of trial-and-error to get it working on my particular setup. could be even easier for others!

good luck!

*edit*
    sorry, should add this link!
    http://www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-ip-address-or-ip-range-in-windows-server-2008-by-windows-firewall/

Advertisement