Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

eh i dunno wrote: »
    What does everyone recommend is the best cardio exercise for weight loss esp around the stomach and chest? Have put on a few pounds recently which i want to lose asap before my hols

First of all, loads of great different ways of cardio on here already so just adding my 2 cents of what I do

Row Machine: 2 min warm up then 30 seconds full pelt and 30 second rest for 10 mins. You will be dead after that if your not used to it :) then move up to 15mins. After that 10 Sprints of 15/20 metres. Sprint, walk back, count to 10 then Sprint.

At present I am doing this:
    Warm up on treadmill for 2 min

Set:: Jumping Squat, Jumping Lunge, Press-Up Burpee with Jump and Tuck, Press-Ups.

Do as many of each exercise for 20 seconds with 10 second rest between each. So do as many jumping squats as you can in 20 seconds, rest for 10 seconds, then on to, jumping lunges.

30 seconds rest between each set and rinse and repeat 3 more times.

I guess pick one from all of the replies which you think will suit uou best.

but dont forget "TO FEEL THE BURN" :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

First run today after damaging my big toe at Hell & Back. I kept it light doing only 20 minutes but the toe felt fine. It is still sore when I pull at it but the limping is gone. Will push it a bit tomorrow and see how it holds up. Not much time left to train for the half marathon :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

was all set for decent session earlier

was aiming to get up to 10k on cardio

got to 4 and was feeling sore so stopped

got weight session in instead

on plus side 4 lbs to go until i reach 1 or my goals for yr

hoping i will get there in next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,112 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Getting to the end of the 6 week workout now.

It is now not sustainable. Its still a 6 week workout, but he recommends a 45 min cardio first thing and then weight training (sessions approx 1.5 hours) in the evenings... Sorry bud - I don't have that amount of time!

I've put on some muscle, but can't tell if I would have doing the regular "each body part once a week" and lifting heavier.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Getting to the end of the (actually) 5 week workout now.

It is now not sustainable. Its still a 6 week workout, but he recommends a 45 min cardio first thing and then weight training (sessions approx 1.5 hours) in the evenings... Sorry bud - I don't have that amount of time!

I've put on some muscle, but can't tell if I would have doing the regular "each body part once a week" and lifting heavier.

Last day of it tomorrow - 2 hours it took to complete the back and chest routine today. He also says another 45 mins of cardio beforehand, so unless you can do cardio before work and then weights 6 times a week in the evenings, its not a runner IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

everlast75 wrote: »
    Last day of it tomorrow - 2 hours it took to complete the back and chest routine today. He also says another 45 mins of cardio beforehand, so unless you can do cardio before work and then weights 6 times a week in the evenings, its not a runner IMO

What results have you seen in the last 6 weeks?

ulinbac wrote: »
    What results have you seen in the last 6 weeks?

measurements to be done tomorrow so time will tell. It is hard to notice when you see yourself every day :confused:

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Didn't warm up properly last night and knackered my trapezius doing a tricep pull-down. ****ing ow. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Didn't warm up properly last night and knackered my trapezius doing a tricep pull-down. ****ing ow. :(
    Water bottle that bad boy to keep it loose Pepe! Do it for a couple of days

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

D'Agger wrote: »
    All the best with it either way, be sure to keep us posted on how you're faring

Will do :)
    Try a different stamina medium - i.e. use a rowing machine over a bike - this will help tone your shoulders and arms to an extent. Get on weights that will allow you to build the stamina of your muscles i.e. do three sets of 30 reps for two weeks, then look to get back to heavier weights that you can do 3x8-12 reps

So I followed some of your advice and it appears to be working.

I have not gone for the rowing machine yet. Keep meaning to but just havent gotten to it.

But I reduced my weights on all machines by 20%, increase the time between sets by 50% (30 seconds more), but doubled the number of reps per set. So for example on one machine I have moved from 3x15repsx25Kilo to 3x30repx20 kilo.

Weight loss is looking great. At the start of the year I was fluctuating between 72.4 and 74.5. Now every morning I am between 64.5 and 66. Nice. nor all of it from the belly area alas, but still. I have had two girls comment on some weight loss in my face :)

But with the strength progress I am noticing some improvements. Small, but some. for example one of the machines I could barely do 3x15repsx25Kilo, that I moved to 3x30repx20 kilo I now find I am doing 3x30repsx25Kilo! Which means I am there back to my original weight, but capable of twice the reps! Nice.

I dropped back on the Leg press from 3 x 15 x 133kilo to 3 x 30 x 93kilo since my last post too. But now I find I am doing 3x30 there but in sets of 93, then 101, then 117.

Still using the cross trainer and bike to start and end the sessions. I might exchange the bike for the rowing machine soon. The bike is a bit superflous because 90% of the time when I finish the gym I actually cycle home (9km) so using the bike in the gym is somewhat pointless.

So yea, progress. Slow, but at least I am SEEING it now.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Water bottle that bad boy to keep it loose Pepe! Do it for a couple of days
    Rubbed some anti-inflammatory into it for a day or two and have just been gently stretching it since. Did some light shrugs on Wednesday and had no problems so I reckon I should be good to go with a heavier work-out tonight.

Fingers crossed. Neck injuries suck so bad.

Will do :)

So I followed some of your advice and it appears to be working.

I have not gone for the rowing machine yet. Keep meaning to but just havent gotten to it.

But I reduced my weights on all machines by 20%, increase the time between sets by 50% (30 seconds more), but doubled the number of reps per set. So for example on one machine I have moved from 3x15repsx25Kilo to 3x30repx20 kilo.

Weight loss is looking great. At the start of the year I was fluctuating between 72.4 and 74.5. Now every morning I am between 64.5 and 66. Nice. nor all of it from the belly area alas, but still. I have had two girls comment on some weight loss in my face :)

But with the strength progress I am noticing some improvements. Small, but some. for example one of the machines I could barely do 3x15repsx25Kilo, that I moved to 3x30repx20 kilo I now find I am doing 3x30repsx25Kilo! Which means I am there back to my original weight, but capable of twice the reps! Nice.

I dropped back on the Leg press from 3 x 15 x 133kilo to 3 x 30 x 93kilo since my last post too. But now I find I am doing 3x30 there but in sets of 93, then 101, then 117.

Still using the cross trainer and bike to start and end the sessions. I might exchange the bike for the rowing machine soon. The bike is a bit superflous because 90% of the time when I finish the gym I actually cycle home (9km) so using the bike in the gym is somewhat pointless.

So yea, progress. Slow, but at least I am SEEING it now.

Very glad to hear that man, by all means if you've been building stamina like that and you're losing weight, then you can look to up the weight a bit and go to sets of 8-12 reps to start toning up.

The first place you notice weight loss is in the legs and arms - I noticed a big difference here in myself this year.

Anyway, keep training away & mind the diet and you'll be laughing with regards to the progress you can make in as little as 6 weeks.
    Rubbed some anti-inflammatory into it for a day or two and have just been gently stretching it since. Did some light shrugs on Wednesday and had no problems so I reckon I should be good to go with a heavier work-out tonight.

Fingers crossed. Neck injuries suck so bad.

Nice one man, take it handy - I have a buddy who's been struggling with a neck niggle lately and he's gone back a bit too early and damaged it again - the main problem then becomes mental as he keeps getting annoyed about getting back and then in going back too early - tweaks it again.

Plenty of rest and go back when you're ready :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I started back at the gym last night after not being a member of one for almost 2 years. I haven't done any proper exercise routine since i was running approx 10 k 3/4 times a week in March. Then I sprained my ankle and got used to being lazy!

Gonna work on my all around fitness to get back into shape (i look generally ok but am unfit) and then focus on building some proper strength once Im back in shape.

Going to get a half marathon or something in next while to focus my cardio.

(Hopefully I don't crash and burn after a couple of days!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

gucci wrote: »
    I started back at the gym last night after not being a member of one for almost 2 years. I haven't done any proper exercise routine since i was running approx 10 k 3/4 times a week in March. Then I sprained my ankle and got used to being lazy!
    How is it going for you 2 weeks on?
    Did my first weight session in 2 months this afternoon. I am sore

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    How is it going for you 2 weeks on?
    Did my first weight session in 2 months this afternoon. I am sore

Thanks for asking….well I have been doing ok! They gym is reasonably quiet, which is great for me (probably not for the owners as it is a new business!) so I have great comfort in basically being able to use anything I want. My girlfriend is a member too and we are helping to encourage each other to go on evenings / mornings when we are lazy!!
    I have just being doing some rowing / cross trainer at the gym to try and get some wind back in my lungs and some light weights.

I have been keeping a diary, and since I started back I have attended the gym 5 days out of 16 days BUT I have been also out running, 7 days of those 16, so looking back I have been active 12 out of the 16 days (I had one mad day where I done a run in the morning and gym in the evening……but I knew about it the day after, reminded me I wasn’t actually fit yet and also that pull-ups are a killer the day after!!)

I went out for a 10k run on Sunday morning and could feel myself actually start to get a bit fitter. Signed up for a half marathon in October, I know I will be able to do it, but I want to do it in less than 90 mins. So I have a bit of work to put in over the next few weeks!

(Not this weekend though, it’s a bank holiday in UK and I am going back to the old country for some proper time with the family!)

Good man. Sounds like you are getting into the swing of things. Be careful of doing too much though as you can burn yourself out or pick up more injuries. I did a 5K this morning and it was the first time in about a month that I enjoyed a run. I'm still way below my goals but I was comfortable during it and finished very strongly. Hopefully I can push on from here and start reducing my times again.

hey there how are you getting on?
    hope your still on the exercise wagon? have been doing decent myself,gettin running and gym at least 3times a week,or 4some weeks. focusing a bit more on the running as have half marathon on October 19th.
    Started doing parkrun on a Saturday morning, great event and helps keep me have manners on a Friday nite and not drink a gallon of beer! very nice and social event though,would recommend it to anyone of any ability!

Which parkrun are you doing? It is a great event.

I have been tipping away at the running and have been improving for the last few weeks since I changed my plan to include more rest days.
    I am adding a long run to my tri weekly 5Km which will start tomorrow. Am hoping to do 10K tomorrow at a slow pace but will be happy if I can hit 8.

I've been reading alot recently about runners so am trying a more scientific approach to choosing a pair by assessing my arches and running style. Interesting reading as I really want to stay uninjured.

I would say getting a decent pair of runners if you are going to be planning to run are a worthy investment. I have collapsed arches which thankfully have never really caused me any issues,but need to wear runners with good support or else i find my calves and lower back can be more fatigued/stiff than normal (never pain) after long runs.

I do parkrun in Birmingham Cannon Hill, about 500there most Saturday mornings!

Good luck with the long run tonight!

This was a good link http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
    They seem to know what they are talking about.

Did the 8K this morning. It was a nice run although the legs were getting heavy from 6 onwards.

Parkrun has really taken off over here in the last 12 months. A group of us do it every Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I've been sick for like for ever, so I stopped going to the gym regularly. Went on Monday after nearly a week. Jesus I died there. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jogdish

Hi,
    Not sure if this is the right place to post or not, I am a 31 year old guy, about 80kg - so basically not slim, not fat but still plenty padding all the same - if that makes any sense?
    I would like to lose a bit and generally be more healthy, so i have started to clean up my diet. But in terms of my fitness where do i start? I have never been a sports guy, have tried running multiple times always give up after a while never enjoyed it. So far walking is the only thing i can do long term, but its not that much of a work out and leaves me drenched in sweat for very little fitness reward.

Ideally I would like something I could do at home and would not involve buying equipment. Any ideas? Will the man boobs ever go away!?

80kg would be a good enough weight where you are in and around 6 foot (based on bmi). However if you are 5'4 then it is an issue.
    Cleaning up your diet is half the battle to be honest. Moderate drinking is also a must. I would say chat to a nutritionist and go from there.
    WRT exercise find something you like doing. There is little you can do without leaving the house with no equipment. Looking for the laziest way to be healthy does not work (I say from experience;)).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,505 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Has anyone done this? I might give it a go. http://www.runinthedark.org

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This was a good link http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe-finder/shoe-advisor
    They seem to know what they are talking about.

Did the 8K this morning. It was a nice run although the legs were getting heavy from 6 onwards.

Parkrun has really taken off over here in the last 12 months. A group of us do it every Saturday.

A bank holiday monday might not be the best day to ask this, but how is your progress going? I done half marathon last weekened, 1hour 45. Happy with that considering the amount of time I put into training (ie. not really enough!)

Also almost beat 21 minutes at parkrun on Saturday...on my watch it was 21 mins! Maybe next week :D
    Actually think I will join a running club now as I feel I need a bit more structure to my training and had sort of forgotten how much I enjoy it. From talking to a few lads at parkrun they seem to feel the benefit and its not too full on/serious either.

Hows your weight training going?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 lucasmaximus

Currently doing weight-training for an hour followed by a bikram yoga class about 4-5 times a week. Don't think its ideal to do the yoga directly after the weight-training but its the only way I can schedule it most days. Great routine though, loving it and seeing some nice gains so long as I stay away from the CHOCOLATE MONSTER! :)

Bikram is basically endurance training with stretching in my experience - very good workout but I was far too uncomfortable being that sweaty whilst exercising.

I've signed up for 5 more pilates classes and I think I'm going to try and go twice a week.

I'm going to be having an MRI on my back soon to make sure there's nothing properly wrong with it so I'm off weights until I know what my story is. It should just be mechanical and something pilates can hopefully fix. In which case, blending that with some weights should be good.

Might try get into 5 a side one night per week too.

Ya I've never sweated so much in my life as in bikram class, but I love that, feel properly worked and get a nice body high at the end. Aswell as how much energy I have as a result of practice, not to mention what you can carry over from yoga to the bedroom :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Felexicon

not to mention what you can carry over from yoga to the bedroom :)

You've made it weird

• Advertisement

Try it, I reckon you would agree

Advertisement