Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SHTF vehicles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

sheesh wrote: »
    damn thought it was diesel!!!

yeah my ideal is a series 3 landy diesel it would be very handy for just using for outdoorsey stuff / saving the car from smelling of dead fish.
    Would be class if it was diesel!

I got the sorento for the same reasons as you want the landy, great decision!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/vintagecars/4407831

won't cost an arm and a leg to own and run while we are waiting for the s to htf can be used for a general run about too. easy enough to maintain after the shtf.
    The landrover 101 takes the same engine the body is as easy to strip down and enlarge if needed that's why it would be my number 1 choice as I've 6 to load up and gear and dogs plus the guy in the UK converts it to run vegetable oil which will be cheaper for weekend camping trips

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I love the "landies" and I dont think they would be bet. My time in the ESB proved those machines will go anywhere and take a hiding while doing it ! Quads are a great machine but can be quite lethal at high speeds and to get one into a forest can be a bit tricky. But if cheap and cheerful is what your looking for with low fuel consumption and a heap of accessories I would have to have one of these

http://www.rokon.com/

I stumbled across these machines on another thread and just love them. These would be great in any scenario even to bust out of the city where cars might be blocking the streets. Now unlike the "landies" and the quads these aint fast machines. But there water proof and there designed so you can carry extra fuel in the tires !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXc5QqMLI5g

I was interested in getting one of them rokons a year or two ago but couldnt find any for sale here or in the uk. Have you ever seen one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

damn thought it was diesel!!!

yeah my ideal is a series 3 landy diesel it would be very handy for just using for outdoorsey stuff / saving the car from smelling of dead fish.

Getting my new toy this week, one of these:

range-rover-classic-6.jpg

Nearly as capable as a SIII (with a bit of work) and a helluva lot more comfortable with heated leather seats and heating that actually works. Not to mention a bit of soundproofing and decent suspension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

aaakev wrote: »
    I was interested in getting one of them rokons a year or two ago but couldnt find any for sale here or in the uk. Have you ever seen one?

Did you think about getting a Brockhouse Corgi, by the looks of things the Rokons are a modern equivalent of the 1950's Brockhouse, you see them for sale all the time in the UK.
    Here is a rebuilt one for 1K

image_zps1ca03a74.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C329209

Funny thing about the Brockhouse and the Rokons is that they all came from the Welbike idea of a Motor transport for Paratroopers in WW2. It worked back then when the SH!T really did hit the fan so I can't see why they would not now.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭nuub

I have never seen one in action myself no one seems to know about them over this side of the Atlantic. But a friend sent me links of them pulling bears out of a forest at the end of a hunt. It was amazing not only pulling along the a couple of bears but getting thru some of the densist woodland that you would never get a quad. I wonder would it be worth it after all the taxes and charges tho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

wexie wrote: »
    Getting my new toy this week, one of these:

[IMG-pic of range roverMG]

Nearly as capable as a SIII (with a bit of work) and a helluva lot more comfortable with heated leather seats and heating that actually works. Not to mention a bit of soundproofing and decent suspension.

Damn you and your perfect life :D

well wear

The Aussie wrote: »

Did you think about getting a Brockhouse Corgi, by the looks of things the Rokons are a modern equivalent of the 1950's Brockhouse, you see them for sale all the time in the UK.
    Here is a rebuilt one for 1K

image_zps1ca03a74.jpg

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C329209

Funny thing about the Brockhouse and the Rokons is that they all came from the Welbike idea of a Motor transport for Paratroopers in WW2. It worked back then when the SH!T really did hit the fan so I can't see why they would not now.
    Thats not 2wd is it? Wouldnt be my cup of tea tbh. It looks like it was built to be light and easy to transport with few parts to go wrong. Think the rokon would tic all the boxes!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Pajerofrontview_zps668fb15c.jpg

one of my modes of transport… going to try convert her to run on biodiesel now.

• Advertisement

one of my modes of transport… going to try convert her to run on biodiesel now.

would it need much in the way of conversion aside from a few added filters?

would it need much in the way of conversion aside from a few added filters?

as far as i know they are pretty simple… the pump should handle it no problem.

as far as i know they are pretty simple… the pump should handle it no problem.

Should have a look at this site, it's 3 brothers that all drive cars that have been modified to drive on waste vegetable oil. 2 Landrovers and one 5.9L 6 cylinder Cummins diesel :eek: (which gets 29mpg....running on chip fat!!!)

http://www.overland-rovers.com/

Seeing as the thread has been somewhat resurrected I figured I'd throw up some piccies of my SHTF baby (one of them, this is the 'getting the hell out in a hurry one)

315871.jpg

315870.jpg

Once the garage is fully built the plan is to give her a full and comprehensive rebuild in the spirit of this :

$(KGrHqMOKjUE1nBUinUVBNpcznp1sw~~_35.JPG

Which means bigger and badder :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

A lot of the Discos and Defenders are getting modded for 2.8 Isuzus, to replace the standard engine, using a later Rover gearbox, which can use biodiesel.

regards
    Stovepipe

i saw a unimog on ebay during the week for 3.5k.. what a machine!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good price, bet the postage would be savage though ;)

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Good price, bet the postage would be savage though ;)

drive it home?

i saw a unimog on ebay during the week for 3.5k.. what a machine!!

They come up on Donedeal regularly enough for little more than that....ex ESB usually, last time I saw one it was 4k

They come up on Donedeal regularly enough for little more than that....ex ESB usually, last time I saw one it was 4k

I just bought a mf 135 during the week… one of them unimogs is definitely on the to purchase list.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Hope it's okay that I bumped this. Didn't seem like it deserved its own thread.

Very nice. Insanely expensive, at €168k:
    http://www.expedition-trucks.com/brokers/steyr-4x4-double-cabin-expedition-truck?gclid=CKjNltmfqMQCFQOy2wodugoAig

Advertisement