Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

btea help please

Options
  • 17-07-2014 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey I'm working part time at the moment 3 days a week. I have been accepted in to college in sept. I am eligible for back to education . age reduced max rate of 160 .
    My question is a a I'm working at the moment I only get paid for 2 days from social welfare. When I go to college I won't be able to work as I work Mon to wed.

Will I get the full 160 or just the amount I get at the moment?

Please help stressing about this

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Best thing to do is ring and ask

Back to Education Section
    Department of Social Protection
    Social Welfare Services Office
    Government Buildings
    Shannon Lodge
    Carrick-on-Shannon
    Leitrim
    Ireland
    Tel:(071) 967 2616
    Locall:1890 927 999
    Homepage: http://www.welfare.ie

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hakametal

May I ask if you know what qualifies you to get the €188?? I'm going back too but this time I'm 23 and I'm hoping that means I get the full €188?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 archeryjock

Hakametal wrote: »
    May I ask if you know what qualifies you to get the €188?? I'm going back too but this time I'm 23 and I'm hoping that means I get the full €188?

You would get an aged reduced rate I think.
    A max of 160

You would get an aged reduced rate I think.
    A max of 160

So there's no €188? There definitely used to be, I wonder if it's gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

€160 is the max payment for those under the age of 25 and is subject to means test. More details here http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    €160 is the max payment for those under the age of 25 and is subject to means test. More details here

Is it possible to get Rent Allowance on top of that, if you meet the requirements?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

Yes if you meet the qualification requirements - and while on BTEA you can work up-to 20 hours per week without it having a bearing on your main payment. It may reduce your R/A if you qualify, but you should still be in a better place financially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Hakametal wrote: »
    Is it possible to get Rent Allowance on top of that, if you meet the requirements?

Read the link everything is there

• Registered Users Posts: 11 leaving cert is fun

i was wondering if i can get btea, i took a year out and worked for 2 months in dunnes just for xmass period. and i was on jobseekers from january untill now. i start college in septemper, will i be able to get btea if i am 19 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

i was wondering if i can get btea, i took a year out and worked for 2 months in dunnes just for xmass period. and i was on jobseekers from january untill now. i start college in septemper, will i be able to get btea if i am 19 ?

Probably not but the best thing to do is ask in your local welfare office

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/back_to_education/back_to_education_allowance.html

Age limits
    To qualify for the Back to Education Allowance, you must be at least 21 years of age. You must be 24 for a third-level postgraduate course.

However, if you are getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or One-Parent Family Payment for the required period(3 months/78 days or 9 months/234 days), are aged between 18 and 20 and have been out of the formal education system for at least 2 years you may qualify.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
Advertisement