Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slovakia Skiing 2014

• 25-07-2014 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi,

just wondering wouldanyone have any information on skiing in Jesna Slovakia.

Basically if anybody had any information on the following i would really appreciate your time.

Are the ski conditions good?
    Any suggestions on Hotels/Apartments to stay in.We have a party of roughly 15.
    Night life?
    Cost of food and drink?
    Cost of equipment and ski passes?
    Any links to useful websites?

Thanks very much for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Biscuits, I was meant to be out there last year and Kranjska Gogoria (Spelt very wrong I think) last winter, on both occasions only green fields and now snow. You will have cheap drink, food, lift tickets, equipment and accommodation. Despite recent investment the areas are small their lift systems are a mix of modern and antiquated and snow making is rare.

I am aiming to get back out there again this year if conditions allow with Zagreb also on the list third time is a charm and all that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Jasna isn't far from my wife's home town. I'll give you more details later when I gget time.

biscuits11 wrote: »
    Hi,

just wondering wouldanyone have any information on skiing in Jesna Slovakia.

Basically if anybody had any information on the following i would really appreciate your time.

Are the ski conditions good?
    Any suggestions on Hotels/Apartments to stay in.We have a party of roughly 15.
    Night life?
    Cost of food and drink?
    Cost of equipment and ski passes?
    Any links to useful websites?

Thanks very much for your help.

ok, kids are in bed :) As I said, my wife is from the area so I have a lot of local knowledge.

Here's a link to the area http://www.jasna.sk/en/mountains-and-holiday/skiing/

You are going to the lower tatras mountains in the Liptov Region, depending where you go skiing can be good. (snow dependent)
    The main town is Liptovsky Mikulas which isnt too far from Jasna. Buses are reasonably good in and out.

Worth a visit is the cave system , Its on the road between Jasna and Lipt.Mikulas.

If you want guaranteed snow, I'd suggest going to Vysoke Tatry, the High Tatras which is about an hour away from Jasna. (maybe less depending on your transport)

Link here . Snow is practically guaranteed at this altitude. There are numerous resorts ,Strbske Pleso, Tatranska Lomnicky, Stary Smokovec. The local town is Poprad which can be seen from the resort.
    If you're hiring a car, try get one locally, its much cheaper. i got one last week in Poprad. Its only 25 minutes on the motorway to Liptovsky Mikulas.

If driving , stick to the speed limits. 40/50 km in all towns and villages and the police fine you on the spot. You also need to make sure the car has a current Motorway sticker in the window for driving on the motorways. Diesel was 1.36 and petrol €1.43 per litre.

Where are you planning on skiing ? The main Mountain is Chopok (pronounced hoppok) which is about 2000 metres. There are chair lifts, a monorail and a cabin up to the top. Cost us €20 up to the top. We drove to the first level past the chairs. Their not suitable for kids!

There are numerous Penzions and hotels in the area.

Food is reasonably priced compared to here. You'll get a main meal anywhere from €6 - €15 depending on where you go. Liptovsky Mikulas has some nice restaurants.

Cant tell you much about night life as I'm normally with family and friends when I go so its different for me.

Were are you flying into ? How are you getting to the resort?

If you any more questions let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Hi ,
    I went last year for a couple of days and was a bit disappointed, i suppose my main gripe was that it wasn't that cheap!
    I had heard many good things about it so maybe it was just my experience.
    heres my post from earlier in the year

i was there a few weeks ago but i know a few posters would have more detailed knowledge of the area.
    my tuppence worth.....

i found it expensive!
    lift pass was expensive , ski hire was expensive , food was expensive as was drinks.
    this is lauded as a cheap alternative to the Alps , everything was pricey around the slopes!

to give you an idea , pass was €40 hire was €35 per day
    at happy ends pub a pizza was €8 and a beer €3 and served by the rudest staff imaginable.
    thats a far cry from the €1 a pint that i kept hearing about

as beginners there was only one slope that i could see , a long slope to the above bar , bit pricey for that!

intermediate there is a lot to offer , i enjoyed the slope to the far right and far left offered a long cruising run.

few of the reds were very icy and the rental skis were pathetic and i wasnt bothered trying them for safety reasons.
    which was a pity cos the main run from the peak looked fun.

thats the slopes and immediate area , loads of ski buses to take you from LM and i would imagine thats where the cheaper food and drink is.

i preferred Bialka Tatranska in Poland , night skiing and more slopes catering to the beginners in the group.
    nightlife was limited but we ate like kings every night for next to nothing and the pints genuinely are only €1.30 even on the slopes.

i found Slovakia more greed orientated and quite western.

horses for courses but i preferred Poland and if i was spending the Jasna prices id be inclined to try austria instead.
    Zakopane or Bialka is perfect for beginners with night skiing and plenty of evening activities.
    flight to Krakow and a £2 bus to the resort.

that was my experience over 2 days anyways

Things got more expensive when sk joined the euro. There was an immediate10% hike in prices.
    I've never had problems with rudeness but you get that here as well so it can happen. The slopes can be expensive for food compared to LM and it's surrounding towns and villages. We found that when eating at the peaks on chopok and tatranska
    Down in the resorts was more reasonable.
    Been going to the area for the last 7 years and tend to go where the locals go.
    Personally I'd go to the high tatras to ski. A lot more slopes to be found

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Things got more expensive when sk joined the euro. There was an immediate10% hike in prices.
    I've never had problems with rudeness but you get that here as well so it can happen. The slopes can be expensive for food compared to LM and it's surrounding towns and villages. We found that when eating at the peaks on chopok and Keith Chilly Minion
    Down in the resorts was more reasonable.
    Been going to the area for the last 7 years and tend to go where the locals go.
    Personally I'd go to the high tatras to ski. A lot more slopes to be found

I really wanted to like the resort and was disappointed and thats just my personal experience. Dont mean to be too negative or put anyone off.

Im sure as someone living local the prices must be annoying , anybody i ever meet from Slovakia says they could never afford to go there.
    Is there any need for champagne bars and all that nonsense in Slovakia?
    seemed to be catering for the Russian/Brit crowd.

Anyways for skiing it looked great but due to the conditions and ski gear we didnt get to experience the whole site.

Love the Tatra Mountains , heading there hiking in a few weeks :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭RickyWed

Skying wise is excelent, but the prices went way up (still cheaper than Ireland:)) and also the service is horrible to be honest with you. But the place and High Tatra mountains are a great and beautiful place to visit... You might want to check Swiss Alps perhaps.

Advertisement