Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easter Skiing 2014

Options
  • 27-02-2014 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, I'm hoping to get away at Easter this year for some skiing, and just wondering with Easter being late this year (end of April) will the snow in most of the resorts around Europe be gone?

Where are the most likely places to have snow at this time, will we be restricted to the glacial resorts Kitzsteinhorn, Hinterux etc.?

Anybody have much experience with skiing so late in the season or after the season has finished?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭mgkelly

Have previously skied at Hintertux in middle of summer (liked it), Zermatt in winter (superb resort) & Kaprun in late season (also very good).
    It is hard to know what to do, but we are trying to look at 3 days Thu/Fri/Sat after Easter. Booked with Ryanair to Memmingen in Germany. Thinking glacier also - possibly Stubai - never been, but sounds good. Close to Innsbruck.
    Interested in peoples' thoughts.

Martin

Ischgl got a mention on another website, also, where I'd pitched the question. However, also have been told that snow not great this year in Austria. Certainly, the depths in Mayerhofen are very poor, looking at Sunday Times today.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭AlternateID

Snow has been poor but there was plenty in Mayrhofen when I was there at the start of Jan. You couldn't ski/board to the village but that doesn't matter. You could from the Ahorn on the other side of the village. The village itself had a layer of snow at Christmas but it melted just after new year.

I was in Soll/Scheffau/Ellmau/Going/Brixen/Westendorf in Feb and the snow wasn't as good but wasn't too bad. Turned to slush in the afternoon. Webcams at the moment still look good.

I was in Hintertux in August/September last year. The snow only went as far as the second station but it was enough for some fun. There's 3 gondala's to get to the top. Only a few runs open on both sides of the basin and slush in the afternoon. I even got to surf on my snowboard down a stream that had formed one day.

If going late April you'll have to go high.

Stubai looks interesting. I've not been but the site says 20 minute drive from Innsbruck. That means a taxi should be affordable.

****... Now I want to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Might be the year for italy given its had so much, somewhere like Cervinia which is very high also? Or the usual reliables in France, 3v or Les Arcs.

You can be lucky in late season, I often read blogs of lads enjoying powder days into May.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭edson

Italy was great this year, I went to Livigno, perfect week actually.

I'm also looking at a snowboard trip to Kaprun this weekend as I'm in Austria with work. A friend was there over the Easter weekend and said it was still excellent quality, most lifts still open, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Pending

I'm in Tignes this week, had huge dump on Sunday, so perfect powder off piste yesterday and today. There's enough of it up high to last another day or two, with more snow expected.

In Dublin airport waiting on flight to Memmingen. Snow in Stubai looks good on their website. Can't wait!!

Enjoy. I heard there's another dump due this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Yep conditions are amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

Jesus! Feck the lot of ye!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Ended up going to Mayrhofen/Hintertux and had a great time. Did the last 2 days of the season in Mayrhofen and then 3 days on the glacier and the snow was actually great. A bit slushy at the end of the day in Mayrhofen which is to be expected but the glacier was in really good condition. It was my first time skiing at this time of year and it's probably my favourite time to do it! Quiet piste and lifts and then gorgeous warm sunny weather to chill out to in the evening. The town was a bit quiet though in the evenings.

I've been there 3 times now in the last year. Love the glacier. Mayrhofen will be filling up with old hill walkers soon. Was there last Aug/Sept to satisfy my snow addiction. Funny to have all the oldies looking and pointing at me getting the bus in snowboarding gear.

Wish I could do the jumps in the snowparks. I'll have to stick to searching out powder.

Wish I could do the jumps in the snowparks. I'll have to stick to searching out powder.

Jumps are easy come talk to me and i shall show you the way ;)

Fattes wrote: »
    Jumps are easy come talk to me and i shall show you the way ;)

lol you should know I have a slight fear of heights. Where do you go?

I live here & I get to do this from Nov to May, sadly tomorrow is the long drive home but next season is only 5 months away!

Start small and work up

Fattes wrote: »
    I live here & I get to do this from Nov to May, sadly tomorrow is the long drive home but next season is only 5 months away!

Start small and work up

Awesome powder there. Is it wrong that I hate you a little right now. I managed 3 weeks away this year and got one good powder day. -16c at the top of Hintertux but a beautiful day.

I dont know it looks like Tux Tux Hintertux (Sorry bad habbit) was good to you! :)

We had about 7-10 really good pow days this season and maybe the same again in ok ones except for northern Italy it was pretty sparse this year they got hammered. Here was really weird normally at worst the lifts all of them are open for another two weeks but not this season! Next year will be epic ;)

But sadly I have just packed the last of the 12 pairs of skis into the car and tommorow sees the long drive home!

Advertisement