Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

braid

Options
  • 01-08-2014 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭

ive been using power pro 30lb braid i have it aout 2 months... its been fine up till yesterday when i lost a lure which should have came out of a snag easy enough... i inspected the line an it was slightly frayed.. i took off bit of line till the line looked ok.. then today i lost three different traces in places where the braid should have easily got it out, its not the knot cos ive been using the same knot ive always being using and normally the hooks would bend before the line broke, is it something ive bein doin wrong or could i jus have got a bad batch of power pro.. thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭counterlock

ive been using power pro 30lb braid i have it aout 2 months... its been fine up till yesterday when i lost a lure which should have came out of a snag easy enough... i inspected the line an it was slightly frayed.. i took off bit of line till the line looked ok.. then today i lost three different traces in places where the braid should have easily got it out, its not the knot cos ive been using the same knot ive always being using and normally the hooks would bend before the line broke, is it something ive bein doin wrong or could i jus have got a bad batch of power pro.. thanks

Check the eyes on the rod, if its not suitable for braid it may have cut grooves into the inner eye on the rod. This will cause extra friction when casting and reeling in and will fray the braid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Are you using a leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

Check the eyes on the rod, if its not suitable for braid it may have cut grooves into the inner eye on the rod. This will cause extra friction when casting and reeling in and will fray the braid
    ye i checked the eyes and they're perfect!!

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Are you using a leader?
    just a wire trace

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Did you get the braid from ebay? Theres a lot of reports of fake power pro on there, it sounds a bit far fetched but ive heard enough to make me think its true.

• Advertisement

ye i seen loads of chinese fakes online,no bought it ina tackle shop here.. its dear stuff.. 20 euro for 125 metres or something

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Could just be a batch batch, obviously shouldn't happen considering the price it is. I have the power pro on three reels, and it has yet to fail me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭.red.

Try taking the braid off and putting the used end back on first so the fresher braid is on top. If it still happens then id be replacing it with new stuff.

.red. wrote: »
    Try taking the braid off and putting the used end back on first so the fresher braid is on top. If it still happens then id be replacing it with new stuff.
    ye i might try that, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

What knot are you using btw? I use a grinner. Power pro doesn't have good abrasion resistance when under tension so if you were using over rocks or snags it may be damaged.

Reverse it as said above.

• Advertisement

im using the grinner knot... is there any other braids people recommend...or are they all the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Bio Mech

proper power pro is hard to fault. I have been using it many years and find it about the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

using the exact same braid myself but stopped using it for spinning as i fish in some spots with rocks and i found it would fray and snap very easy

using it now mainly for float fishing and i cant fault it

Advertisement