Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cold calling laws

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

No. But as an ex cold caller, I would respect if someone had a sign on their door to say they didn't want cold callers. Shame really, as often there are some genuinely good deals. Unfortunately, it's hard to trust cold callers to give you all the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭knarkypants

I bought a "No Cold Callers" sign off ebay for a couple of euro....it actually has a list groups that are not to disturb us. Most do read the sign and leave but I do get one or two chancers that will knock anyway. I just point to the sign and close the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭GoodLord

goz83 wrote: »
    No. But as an ex cold caller, I would respect if someone had a sign on their door to say they didn't want cold callers. Shame really, as often there are some genuinely good deals. Unfortunately, it's hard to trust cold callers to give you all the facts.
    Did you have lists of people who had said no? If there are a few cold callers in an area sometimes two can call in one day

I bought a "No Cold Callers" sign off ebay for a couple of euro....it actually has a list groups that are not to disturb us. Most do read the sign and leave but I do get one or two chancers that will knock anyway. I just point to the sign and close the door.
    what is it made of and is it self adhesive? will it leave a mess if it gets wet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Recondite49

GoodLord wrote: »
    Is there any regulations like this in ireland
    http://www.portsmouthsquaredeal.co.uk/pages/consumers.html
    Seemingly they come from City Councils. Do irish local authorities operate any scheme like this?

Hi GoodLord,

I had a brief and awful stint with door to door sales in the Hampshire area when living in the UK.

My team leader was in the habit of peeling off the stickers saying "No Cold Callers" on doors, so I'd suggest having them on the inside window if you can.

We were told to knock on doors anyway. Only on one occasion did someone who put up a sign actually refer to it when we spoke to them - but this was only because he'd had a very bad experience with someone who he says stole from him.

I have spent the remaining years campaigning against firms which offer door to door work as it's often commission only and I feel they mislead people into working for them for no money.

• Advertisement

Hi goz83,

I can't speak for every door to door sales firm but the one for which I worked did charitable donations and subscriptions to Sky or TalkTalk broadband. There was no disadvantage or advantage I could see either way in signing up on the doorstep versus online.

The charitable donations were a different story - for starters I was upset as it seems all the beautiful people had been singled out for this duty while the rest of us Morlocks were left to plug broadband.

Second the team leaders privately admitted to me that people would be far better off donating online or over the phone due to the commissions charged by doorstep collecting.

Having said that it seems that people are more generally more likely to donate if someone is pestering them on the door step than if they receive a flyer in the mail.

what is it made of and is it self adhesive? will it leave a mess if it gets wet?

This is the exact one I have

51MQIApb66L._SX300_.jpg

It's waterproof and self adhesive. I haven't had any problems with it and it's been stuck on the outside of my front door since last September.

Hi goz83,

I can't speak for every door to door sales firm but the one for which I worked did charitable donations and subscriptions to Sky or TalkTalk broadband. There was no disadvantage or advantage I could see either way in signing up on the doorstep versus online.

The charitable donations were a different story - for starters I was upset as it seems all the beautiful people had been singled out for this duty while the rest of us Morlocks were left to plug broadband.

Second the team leaders privately admitted to me that people would be far better off donating online or over the phone due to the commissions charged by doorstep collecting.

Having said that it seems that people are more generally more likely to donate if someone is pestering them on the door step than if they receive a flyer in the mail.
    Online will show all deals you can compare. Door to doors will only tell the good part of their deal and the bad part of your current deal. Why do you think they ask who are you with?

51MQIApb66L._SX300_.jpg

It's waterproof and self adhesive. I haven't had any problems with it and it's been stuck on the outside of my front door since last September.
    thanks . out side glass you mean? does it stop junk mail too?

thanks . out side glass you mean? does it stop junk mail too?

Yeah it's on the outside of the glass. No have another "no junkmail" sticker on the letterbox for that!! :D

• Advertisement

Did you have lists of people who had said no? If there are a few cold callers in an area sometimes two can call in one day

The only company I worked for with any kind of list, was Eircom, but it wasn't comprehensive. The other thing to consider is that people change address and even if they don't, different people will answer the same door and the same people might be in a different mood with the next sales rep, or with the same rep on a different day. I signed up one Guy to EsatBT who was an ex Eircom employee and was adamant he would never switch. I called 3 times over a the course of a year and always had a good banter with him. When I called about a year later (funnily I was working for Eircom then) he thanked me for switching him to EsatBT and didn't want to sign up with Eircom. :cool:
    Hi GoodLord,

I had a brief and awful stint with door to door sales in the Hampshire area when living in the UK.

I have spent the remaining years campaigning against firms which offer door to door work as it's often commission only and I feel they mislead people into working for them for no money.

Some people are just disrespectful. Ripping the stickers off doors was a scummy thing to be doing.

There are plenty of companies that offer a basic and some offer basic + commission. I worked for the commission only. And while I do see where you are coming from, I also believe that a lot can be learned by working for one of these companies. It's very tough and you can easily work a full week and make very little money. But, you can also earn lots and you don't have to mislead a single person to do it. Very often, he wrong people are doing the teaching and bad habits are passed onto new reps. I was very good at selling and never once misrepresented myself, or the companies I was calling for. What exactly are you campaigning against?
    Hi goz83,

I also worked my first few weeks representing a charity, specifically, Concern. The idea of door to door sales is to encourage a customer who might otherwise never bother to donate, or buy a certain service, or product. And often, the customer might not even be aware that a certain service, product, charity exists. So, there is a place for door to door sales, because very often, people can't be bothered buying, or donating in the case of charity, unless someone is there to sign them up.

I never experienced this. But I was a pretty fella :p

TBH, there were a few hideous looking folk selling it too, so looks were not important. I did find that on average, the women had an easier time selling though. Luckily, I had a boyish charm at the time and the middle aged women just ate me up when I called to the door....only joking. I genuinely loved the charity selling, but had more fun with other products and services.

This is what people just don't understand. The charity has a marketing budget. They can spend it on tv adverts, signage, or sales people among other things. The average person donates for 30 months or so. So the marketing company, or rep gets paid a certain amount per sale, depending on the donation. I think a €10 per month donation paid about €40 for the sale, but only if the customer did not cancel within 6 months. So, now you can see why the charity is attracted to this type of deal, as it spends nothing. When they pay a basic, the rep might bring in no sales and the charity loses. Door to door sales and street sales can bring in a steady stream of donations for the charity. The marketing budget needs to be spent either way. So, even if you donate online infrequently, a portion of that donation will go to marketing.

Yes. But, I never bothered pestering people. If they seemed unhappy with me being there, I would tell them I would call back at a better time. Though most reps are not as considerate, or receptive to peoples moods. They are too caught up in the chase.
    Online will show all deals you can compare. Door to doors will only tell the good part of their deal and the bad part of your current deal. Why do you think they ask who are you with?

That's a very tarring blanket statement. Any rep with any brains will know to walk away if the customer has a better deal. I laugh at the ones who try to switch me from one provider to another provider with a poorer offer. PrePay power comes to mind, when the reps call and say "we give you the esb rates" but neglect to mention the higher daily charge and he likely 10-14% discount I am getting for having my gas and electric together and paid by direct debit. Some reps just don't know any better, as they are poorly trained.

They ask who you are with, so they know how to approach you. You might already be with the provider they are selling. Wouldn't that be a waste of breath?

51MQIApb66L._SX300_.jpg

So, sales women are allowed to call? Sexist ;)

They ask who you are with, so they know how to approach you.
    i would not tell a stranger who i am with as it is none of their business. if i want to change supplier or buy i will research it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do irish local authorities operate any scheme like this?
    UK local authorities have a trading standards role that Irish LAs don't. You might make the suggestion to the National Consumer Agency.

i would not tell a stranger who i am with as it is none of their business. if i want to change supplier or buy i will research it myself

That's your prerogative, but many people simply don't bother researching and so the cold caller can be a good thing.

I remember one ignoramus who came out to the door before I had even reached it and put his palm straight out in front of me and said "i don't want to hear it". I said nothing and left, continuing my rounds. Next day he crosses the road and said i could call over, because he heard what I was selling and wanted one for himself and his son.

At the time, I was working for Meteor, selling contract phones. The deals at that stage were excellent value compared to other networks and we were giving the best phones away for free, which were costing €100 on average on the same plans in the shops. Only Eircom customers were offered this. Selling this was extremely easy. I signed up almost every customer and had a per house ratio of 2.4 sales.

I looked at him and informed him that I had crossed his house off the list, so I couldn't possibly sign him up. I continued on my rounds, leaving him with a growling face and threats that I would get sacked. He did complain, but the regional sales manager saw it as I did. I loved that job :D

Never bothered with rude people. I was just doing a job and was always respectful to people. If they didn't want what I was promoting on the day, they only had to say so, once.

I have no problem letting a sales rep know what provider I am using. I only take issue if they try to pull the wool over my eyes. I found it very odd if someone didn't want to say what phone provider they were using. It just made it too difficult to compare rates and discuss potential savings, so again, I would just say thanks and go on my way. This method allowed me to get all the sales I needed and then some. I was rarely in bad form on the field and if I was, it was never the work that had me in bad form.

That's your prerogative, but many people simply don't bother researching and so the cold caller can be a good thing.

I remember one ignoramus who came out to the door before I had even reached it and put his palm straight out in front of me and said "i don't want to hear it". I said nothing and left, continuing my rounds. Next day he crosses the road and said i could call over, because he heard what I was selling and wanted one for himself and his son.

At the time, I was working for Meteor, selling contract phones. The deals at that stage were excellent value compared to other networks and we were giving the best phones away for free, which were costing €100 on average on the same plans in the shops. Only Eircom customers were offered this. Selling this was extremely easy. I signed up almost every customer and had a per house ratio of 2.4 sales.

I looked at him and informed him that I had crossed his house off the list, so I couldn't possibly sign him up. I continued on my rounds, leaving him with a growling face and threats that I would get sacked. He did complain, but the regional sales manager saw it as I did. I loved that job :D

Never bothered with rude people. I was just doing a job and was always respectful to people. If they didn't want what I was promoting on the day, they only had to say so, once.

I have no problem letting a sales rep know what provider I am using. I only take issue if they try to pull the wool over my eyes. I found it very odd if someone didn't want to say what phone provider they were using. It just made it too difficult to compare rates and discuss potential savings, so again, I would just say thanks and go on my way. This method allowed me to get all the sales I needed and then some. I was rarely in bad form on the field and if I was, it was never the work that had me in bad form.

As mentioned above I help to manage a Facebook page for people who've been exploited by door to door sales companies.

Every now and then someone pops up claiming that they were offering a much better deal on the doorstep and that they would never ever ever become pushy or demanding.

What I can tell you is that is not the experience of the overwhelming majority of people to whom I've spoken - the products on offer are no different to those the customer can get themselves online and staff are trained to keep talking until the door is slammed in their face.

You mentioned you enjoyed the job very much, do you mind if I ask why you left?

I don't mind giving my own reasons - long hours for little or no pay, feeling uncomfortable with pushy sales tactics, having to register as self employed without being told the implications and humiliating rituals during training.

Some people are just disrespectful. Ripping the stickers off doors was a scummy thing to be doing.

There are plenty of companies that offer a basic and some offer basic + commission. I worked for the commission only. And while I do see where you are coming from, I also believe that a lot can be learned by working for one of these companies. It's very tough and you can easily work a full week and make very little money. But, you can also earn lots and you don't have to mislead a single person to do it. Very often, he wrong people are doing the teaching and bad habits are passed onto new reps. I was very good at selling and never once misrepresented myself, or the companies I was calling for. What exactly are you campaigning against?

The people who are members of the group (it's called NAME AND SHAME CORPORATE RECRUITMENT SCAMS if anyone's interested), feel that the companies are actively misleading people who work for them.

I've already mentioned the fact that pay is often commission only - this is a big deal as it's possible then to work a full day without any wages, and we have a word for that!

Also younger jobseekers may be pressured into taking work without realising the consequences of registering as self employed i.e you are responsible for your own social security contributions, you aren't entitled to sick pay or maternity leave and if you're injured on the job it's your own problem and you receive nothing from your employer.

I did interview for a company based outside Dublin a while back who do offer a basic wage on top of salary which at least should mean you have an employment contract which I think is marginally better, however a quick Google showed that most people quit after a few days.

You might wonder why this is but a quick google of the company name or "door to door scams" is enough to be able to see why.

The fact remains that no matter how silver tongued a salesperson you are (or believe you are if my experiences are anything to go by), there are limits on to whom you can sell. In the case of broadband, the person in question has to have a fixed telephone line, everyone you speak to needs to have a current account capable of setting up direct debits (around 1 million adults in the UK don't have this for instance!).

As for learning useful skills, this is true in a manner of speaking. I remember one of my team leaders decided he'd take a colleague of mine and I under his wing as we were trotting around a housing estate.

One of the first doors on which we knocked was a middle aged lady who immediately told him that she wasn't interested, he simply tried to ignore what she said and kept on talking about the wonders of XYZ Broadband - in the end she lost patience and asked to see his ID badge so she could make a complaint about him to the central authority which ostensibly regulates door to door sellers.

An hour or two later this rather cocky lad (who may I add was 18 months younger than me - I was 24 at the time), joked to an elderly lady that we weren't the Mafia (we were dressed in suits you see... hilarious).

The old lady didn't understand very well and called the Police. The officer in question simply took our names and addresses and ran them through the system but I was less than impressed.

However it is true that a couple of years later I both got a job with an emphasis on sales and at immediately the same time started my own business. I enjoyed modest success with both precisely because I had seen everything this firm had done wrong, namely:

- I learned to take no for an answer. If someone made a clear statement they weren't interested, I simply left them be.
    - Before launching into any kind of pitch I'd mention my customer's other options.

I know of course you claim you did the same but this directly contradicts the advice given by these firms. When I lived in a Dublin one of my housemates decided she needed to bring in some extra bread and went to work for one of these companies collecting donations for Amnesty International.

I had the privilege of reading her training manual and there were around five pages devoted to overcoming objections by people on the doorstep - interestingly nowhere does it say that if the customer tells you politely but firmly that they aren't interested should you simply move on.

My favourite "overcome" was when people said they would make a donation over the telephone or online, the seller would then point out that way they wouldn't get commission so it was better for the Irish economy(!) if they signed up on the doorstep - I mean seriously?

Firstly, I don't follow this logic as if you donate to a local charity, it's likely the money will stay in the country anyway. Second if you really had such a vested interest in the economy, the same effect could be achieved by putting a ten Euro bill in a homeless person's begging bowl. Gott in Himmel!

Of course when I mention my experiences most people who seem to have fallen for the rather cultish notion that the job has to do with marketing and not sales, and that they'll be managing their own office within 18 months of signing up tell me what you have said i.e it's the bad ones that spoil the reputation for the majority of ethical door to door sales firms.

Once again I refer you to Google - the internet is saturated with accounts of people who have been ripped off by these firms both from those who signed up on the door step and from former employees. Read and weep.

This is what people just don't understand. The charity has a marketing budget. They can spend it on tv adverts, signage, or sales people among other things. The average person donates for 30 months or so. So the marketing company, or rep gets paid a certain amount per sale, depending on the donation. I think a €10 per month donation paid about €40 for the sale, but only if the customer did not cancel within 6 months. So, now you can see why the charity is attracted to this type of deal, as it spends nothing. When they pay a basic, the rep might bring in no sales and the charity loses. Door to door sales and street sales can bring in a steady stream of donations for the charity. The marketing budget needs to be spent either way. So, even if you donate online infrequently, a portion of that donation will go to marketing.

With respect, I find your reasoning rather circular.

For starters while charities have a marketing budget they also have targets for donations. If they meet those targets the marketing budget can go down accordingly - not that you can ever have too much money but it's not a zero sum game in the way that's implied here.

That's not to say that door to door collectors using high pressure sales tactics isn't a good way to bring in money - the question is if it's an effective way to raise more, reference this article in the Telegraph:

"According to the PFRA, for each new donor, charities will recover the cost of face-to-face recruitment in between 12 and 18 months.

But with half of all direct debits collected on the street being cancelled within a year, a charity will finally break even on the money it has paid to the fundraising company only after more than two years.

It is a long-term investment that costs big money and one on which, often, only the largest charities can afford to gamble."

So you can see that even if the person doesn't cancel within six months, but does do so after the year is out, then this is an ineffective marketing tactic - it does of course bring in a steady stream of money but only in the same way a Ponzi scheme does, your outlay is more than you get back in most cases.

The Financial Times also alludes to this when covering the demise of Dialogue, one of the larger street fund raising firms in Birmingham (where I'm from!) :):

"Trainees were constantly reminded of the need to sign up donors for the long term. In most contracts with chugging agencies, charities lose money on anyone who drops out in the first year."

So not only are the tactics of these firms questionable, they are actually ineffective in the long term.

As mentioned above I help to manage a Facebook page for people who've been exploited by door to door sales companies.

Every now and then someone pops up claiming that they were offering a much better deal on the doorstep and that they would never ever ever become pushy or demanding.

What I can tell you is that is not the experience of the overwhelming majority of people to whom I've spoken - the products on offer are no different to those the customer can get themselves online and staff are trained to keep talking until the door is slammed in their face.

I don't mind giving my own reasons - long hours for little or no pay, feeling uncomfortable with pushy sales tactics, having to register as self employed without being told the implications and humiliating rituals during training.
    Tell us about the rituals and the training. Do they use NLP?

Tell us about the rituals and the training. Do they use NLP?

Hi GoodLord,

Thanks for your reply - the rituals I underwent seem to be similar to those undergone by other people who were members of other firms.

The basic premise is there's a small office in which a number of young people are crammed, prepped and then sent out for the day to knock on doors.

At the firm where I worked there was a room named 'Atmosphere' where no sitting was allowed (indeed there were no chairs!) - the room was used for morning meetings, to allow visitors to make motivational speeches.

I found this excellent account of team meetings which is so eloquently put and so closely mirrors my own experience I'll ask you to take a look if you want a full rundown.

However in brief, mostly we practised the "three step" and "five step" sales techniques necessary to get our foot in the door and persuade the customer to sign up to whatever shady ware was the flavour of the month.

A few points to add were that for some reason everyone was required to wear a red shirt on a Friday. I don't know why red was chosen (it certainly wasn't due to any Socialist leanings), nor why a Friday in particular was a particularly good day on which to wear it.

My team leader actually called me the day beforehand to check I had indeed used what little money I had left to purchase a red shirt. I later on found out this was because as a newbie, if I messed up inside 'Atmosphere' she had to share my penance.

This came home to me rather quickly as I had the audacity to lean against a wall while speaking to a colleague. Despite the fact I had worn the aforementioned red shirt I had to lie on the floor and pretend to be a sizzling rasher of bacon.

Aside from the repeated chanting, the fact that each team leader seemed to have their own theme song and practising our cold calling techniques, every person on my team was required to choose the name of a Superhero, which was easier said than done given the number of comic savvy twenty somethings milling around.

I eventually settled on the Green Lantern but became a little troubled when I was referred to by this nickname at all times.

I also noticed that the Team Leaders became extremely agitated when I spoke to any new recruits. One of them very politely spoke to me in private after I made an offhand comment about the fact it actually equates to a ten hour working day. Another quite rudely told me to shut up after I told another new recruit the name of the recruitment website where I'd signed up.

It seemed I was interfering with their mojo.

The day I left, the head of the firm was giving a rather inspired speech about Darwinism and how the cutthroat world of sales was all about survival of the fittest. While he seemed very genial, it was clear the man was a moron so I let it slide.

Just managed to find this again from a Youtube video I did about Door to Door sales a year or so back, an excellent account of exactly how these companies operate from someone who was on the inside available at wolfram.org.

Is your name Green Lantern on the facebook page? Hehe. Not being funny, but the page, although I haven't looked at it, is bound to attract people whinging about these types of jobs and how terrible it was. Most people just are not cut out for it and in my opinion, should not be encouraged to join, but unfortunately, the people doing the recruiting are often only a wet day in the job themselves and just want to build their team, like they are being encouraged to do.

Every now and then, this just might be the truth. You are correct with much of what you say. But not all the reps are out there to fool people with exaggerated claims and promises of the world.

Again, the overwhelming majority will be the ones attracted to your FB page. The tone will be set on the page and by the people posting on it.

In many cases, the products are no different, but sometimes they are, as I explained above. And even if the same product/service is online, the customer might not know about it, or might be too lazy, or too busy to have gone ahead and signed up. Some reps just don't know when to stop talking and some do. It's not a training thing (at least not in any office I ever visited) it is just that they often don't know when to walk away.

I left, because my then GF, now wife had our first baby boy. The hours were too much and so I took a job in another office that offered better commission and less hours with more flexibility and opportunities. I then opened my own office, but my business partner was the laziest besterd you could have met, so I decided to pack it in altogether for about 2 years until I applied to Eircom, to work for Meteor. I got the basic, plus excellent commission and bonuses and a company car, plus expenses covered. I made a lot of money in a short time. Used it to get married and to get a mortgage. If I had not worked for one of these door to door companies, I would have had no sales skills and a lot less confidence than I do now. I use the skills I learned there on a daily basis.

And that's why most people leave. The hours and the pay. I totally disagree with pushy sales tactics and I actually stopped working for Eircom, because a team leader, who I reported for encouraging his team to misrepresent, got promoted, instead of fired. I refused to be a part of it.
    the rituals I underwent seem to be similar to those undergone by other people who were members of other firms.

The basic premise is there's a small office in which a number of young people are crammed, prepped and then sent out for the day to knock on doors.

At the firm where I worked there was a room named 'Atmosphere' where no sitting was allowed (indeed there were no chairs!) - the room was used for morning meetings, to allow visitors to make motivational speeches.

However in brief, mostly we practised the "three step" and "five step" sales techniques necessary to get our foot in the door and persuade the customer to sign up to whatever shady ware was the flavour of the month.

"The Rituals" were all part of the fun. Yes, they were silly, but it was all part of the atmosphere. The 3, 5 & 8 steps are the foundation stones of any successful sales office; not just the companies you are referring to.
    A few points to add were that for some reason everyone was required to wear a red shirt on a Friday. I don't know why red was chosen (it certainly wasn't due to any Socialist leanings), nor why a Friday in particular was a particularly good day on which to wear it.

I have no idea why you were to wear red either. Did you not ask?
    This came home to me rather quickly as I had the audacity to lean against a wall while speaking to a colleague. Despite the fact I had worn the aforementioned red shirt I had to lie on the floor and pretend to be a sizzling rasher of bacon.

PMSL :pac:
    Aside from the repeated chanting, the fact that each team leader seemed to have their own theme song and practising our cold calling techniques, every person on my team was required to choose the name of a Superhero, which was easier said than done given the number of comic savvy twenty somethings milling around.

I eventually settled on the Green Lantern but became a little troubled when I was referred to by this nickname at all times.

Sounds like you were part of a very strange office. Red shirts and superhero names? How long did you last?
    I also noticed that the Team Leaders became extremely agitated when I spoke to any new recruits. One of them very politely spoke to me in private after I made an offhand comment about the fact it actually equates to a ten hour working day. Another quite rudely told me to shut up after I told another new recruit the name of the recruitment website where I'd signed up.

Sounds like you were seen to be a negative influence and they didn't want you interfering with their teams. I have seen some people, who were really good at sales, have one bad day and then get their heads full of doubt because another rep, on the brink of leaving decided to share their misery. Misery does love company though.
    The day I left, the head of the firm was giving a rather inspired speech about Darwinism and how the cutthroat world of sales was all about survival of the fittest. While he seemed very genial, it was clear the man was a moron so I let it slide.

That line sums up your attitude toward door to door sales.

I'm under no illusion about what many of these companies do, but you seem very closed off, even to the ones that offer a basic wage. The reason why there is high turnover in the offices that offer a basic wage, is because most people couldn't sell water to a man dying with thirst.

I'm out of that industry, but I took a great deal with me. I went through the good and the bad and I came out the other side. I would tell most people to avoid door to door sales, because, it is a very difficult business to do.

• Advertisement

Hi GoodLord,

Thanks for your reply - the rituals I underwent seem to be similar to those undergone by other people who were members of other firms.

I found this excellent account of team meetings which is so eloquently put and so closely mirrors my own experience I'll ask you to take a look if you want a full rundown.

My team leader actually called me the day beforehand to check I had indeed used what little money I had left to purchase a red shirt. I later on found out this was because as a newbie, if I messed up inside 'Atmosphere' she had to share my penance.

you should write a book exposing how they are trained etc

you should write a book exposing how they are trained etc

I think it would be one sided, but an interesting read all the same. Green Lantern as sizzling bacon :pac:

I think it would be one sided, but an interesting read all the same. Green Lantern as sizzling bacon :pac:

Not sure we could expect much objectivity from your end either chief! Sorry for not replying to your previous post, will deal with it in the morning.

Not sure we could expect much objectivity from your end either chief! Sorry for not replying to your previous post, will deal with it in the morning.
    I would like to know if they are trained in NLP or Cialdini's methods. Sometimes i think i see them use
    3. Social Proof This principle relies on people's sense of "safety in numbers."
    They begin "I was with your neighbour John and he bought/signed etc "
    5. Authority
    We feel a sense of duty or obligation to people in positions of authority.

They have clipboards

And others i cannot think of now. Also sometimes there are two and one is a girl. Is there some significance to that?

But I rarely speak to them now just to say not interested and would not answer any questions.

Where could i go on a course to learn? Some give the impression they are using techniques learned at a weekend course, not polished

On the contrary, I have already agreed with many of your points, but pointed out that you were tarring all with the same brush. So, i believe I would be far more objective with my wording. Nobody is forced to take, or stay in these sales roles. Some last a day, some stay a week, some survive a year, or more and very few (about 1%) get to top level of the bottom of the pile, which is management/ownership. People are just far more likely to complain, than they are to praise, so it's not hard to find people giving out stink about how they worked for such and such and were humiliated daily. You're the one who bought the red shirt. You're the one who felt humiliated pretending to be a piece of sizzling bacon. You're the one who felt foolish being a part of the office you decided to work long hours for with little, or no pay. I can only guess that you weren't good at the selling aspect, which is the first learning curve many can't succeed at. If you can't sell, well, there really is nothing to be positive about, so it's easy to be negative about the whole industry and try to shoot down anything positive about it. Thousands of clients use these companies, many of them are household names, so there must be something they see in door to door sales and maybe not every customer is being mislead as you seem to believe.

I have my experience and over 2 years of it was with Cobra/Cydcor/DS-Max, somI would like to think I have more experience than most people when it comes to these types of companies. There was bad (as with any company) but there was also good.

The first step was learning to sell. If people can do that (and do it honestly) then they had a chance to enjoy the work and make money. In my opinion, it's not a job for people with kids, a mortgage and a car to pay off, because there is too much at stake. It's a job for people who have less responsibilities and who can give it a real shot. I know plenty of people who moved onto great jobs and it was thanks to the training they got with the commission only jobs.

Anyway, I have said my piece and given what I believe to be a balanced opinion, so I will leave it at that.

@ Goodlord. They don't learn NLP. Just simple sales techniques with a basic pitch that gets personalised over time.

On the contrary, I have already agreed with many of your points, but pointed out that you were tarring all with the same brush. So, i believe I would be far more objective with my wording. Nobody is forced to take, or stay in these sales roles. Some last a day, some stay a week, some survive a year, or more and very few (about 1%) get to top level of the bottom of the pile, which is management/ownership. People are just far more likely to complain, than they are to praise, so it's not hard to find people giving out stink about how they worked for such and such and were humiliated daily. You're the one who bought the red shirt. You're the one who felt humiliated pretending to be a piece of sizzling bacon. You're the one who felt foolish being a part of the office you decided to work long hours for with little, or no pay. I can only guess that you weren't good at the selling aspect, which is the first learning curve many can't succeed at. If you can't sell, well, there really is nothing to be positive about, so it's easy to be negative about the whole industry and try to shoot down anything positive about it. Thousands of clients use these companies, many of them are household names, so there must be something they see in door to door sales and maybe not every customer is being mislead as you seem to believe.

I have my experience and over 2 years of it was with Cobra/Cydcor/DS-Max, somI would like to think I have more experience than most people when it comes to these types of companies. There was bad (as with any company) but there was also good.

The first step was learning to sell. If people can do that (and do it honestly) then they had a chance to enjoy the work and make money. In my opinion, it's not a job for people with kids, a mortgage and a car to pay off, because there is too much at stake. It's a job for people who have less responsibilities and who can give it a real shot. I know plenty of people who moved onto great jobs and it was thanks to the training they got with the commission only jobs.

Anyway, I have said my piece and given what I believe to be a balanced opinion, so I will leave it at that.

@ Goodlord. They don't learn NLP. Just simple sales techniques with a basic pitch that gets personalised over time.
    I don't think it is honest. They want to make money and many of my friends have said they are afraid to open the door because ofthe constant barrage of them where these friends live.Densely populated and they can have different reps of the same company knocking three times in one day

Hi goz,

I don't have a huge amount of time today, so will be brief.

You mentioned earlier that you feel that pages such as the one on Facebook of which I'm a member attract "whingers" (I believe those were your exact words) - the problem people like you have who tout these companies as a wonderful opportunity is that the internet is saturated by threads of people who feel that they have been misled by these companies and think the whole thing is nothing short of an outright scam. I don't like to use the word as it's possible to be dishonest and waste someone's time without stealing any money from them.

Funnily enough usually in threads like these one person then comes along and tells us all what a wonderful time they had with such companies. I do know that my former employer at least employed SEO specialists to make sure that harmful threads were forced down in Google search engine rankings as well as trying to shout down people who complained they had been had.

It's true I was naive and was taken in. It's often the case that people who are victims of scams fail to come forward for precisely the reason that they have been made to look foolish, indeed I suspect that these rituals where people have cream pies shoved in their face and are asked to dress up silly have a lot to do with this.

Also there inevitably the last habit the door to door touts pull out of the hat is that the reason for the huge turnover of employees at these companies isn't because they've been lied to but because they have a poor work ethic and/or are poor at sales.

Prior to working door to door I was working as a Night Porter in a hotel doing 4x10 shifts, indeed I have spent several years of my life in total working a six day week. When I was unemployed for a stint in 2008, I made ends meet by selling DVD box sets and cigarettes by placing ads in newspapers and made more money in one day of doing this in my whole time knocking on people's doors.

After having my time wasted for a good few weeks, and realising I'd been had, I went to work in yet another minimum wage job and once again made more in my first day working there than in sales. A year after, I started a small home based business trading in digital currencies - I learned more about sales from watching one Xerox training video *than I did in the four weeks of my life I'll never get back standing next to smug know nothing twenty-somethings while I get questioned by the Old Bill.

My business is still going strong and while it's not enough to live on at the moment, I have every reason it'll go from strength to strength. As I mentioned before, my time with these door to door companies wasn't entirely wasted as I often found that doing the exact opposite to what they teach i.e tell people the truth instead of lies aided my success.

I now work for the biggest company in the world and while sales only forms a small part of what I do, my commission compares very favourably with others on my team.

This is one of the reasons that I have taken up the cudgels to raise awareness about door to door companies as they make huge attempts to make people feel responsible for the fact they don't pay their employees or have failed to pressure people into a sales - at the risk of sounding boastful, I'd like to feel that I'm no stranger to sales nor hard work, no thanks to them.

Your reasoning though that no one forced me to get on the floor and pretend to be a rasher of bacon is true up to a point. I was naive and believed if I simply invested the time, I'd have something to show for it. However to me, it's analogous to saying, "Well if that old lady chooses to wire money to someone she believes is the ex President of Nigeria due to a phone call she's received, then she's to blame for losing her money."

We live in a very difficult economic climate and this is going to give rise to dishonest people who are looking to exploit others. When I've mentioned the countless companies that are listed online, I know you'd have me believe these are the exception rather than the rule. It puts me in mind of when I debate with spiritualists about mediums - every time a charlatan is exposed they say words to the effect of, "Oh yes, the fakers make life much harder for the real ones."

But where are these real ones? I would go so far as to say that every door to door company that I've seen named so far in the 3 years I've been doing this, has been found to have used dishonest sales and recruitment tactics.

Unfortunately not every young job seeker is smart enough to do some research into an employer before interview. Also many of these companies change their name frequently to avoid all the bad press from Googling - something they really shouldn't have to do if working for them is such a great deal if you ask me.

*After reviewing this clip, I see this isn't the same video I saw on Youtube which was a good deal longer. I hope you take my point all the
    same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clonmanc

i have read through this whole thing and with the exception of 1 maybe 2 people. none of you have a clue what your talking about. I worked for a charity NDCS in england to help deaf children in the uk. first of all charities do have a pre allocated budget which is spent on advertising regardless of what form. the cheapest way for them to fundraise is to have someone call around to your door and ask you to sign up. someone said it take 18 months for them to breakeven. Bullsh*t!! for every £6 donation per month 1 got £18 and they had to stay for 6months. so immediatly the charity are doubling their money. most people who complain about these jobs were rubbish at sales so quit and blamed it on the company. i worked for that charity for 1 month and made a total of about 120 pound. but i still think it was a great job it just wasnt for me. i now go door to door for my own company and am making loads of money. i am only 19 years old and without the training provided by the company i would never have had the confidence to go out and knock on a door. people seriously misunderstand canvassers after most people are just trying to make a living. i dont have a go at you because you are selling dairymilk in my local spar. its a job and get over it.

also those no canvassing signs etc. have no legal standing. they have to be worded in a very complicated way to be a legal sign.

I have had the police and the guards called on me multiple times. but never because i didnt leave a door when people say no usually i get someone seen you going door to door and thought you looked dodgy and up to no good. so to all you c**ts out there who think i look like a scumbag thanks. but when i tell the police who i am and what i am doing there they are always okay with it and let me do my job.

Ease up on people who are trying to make a living and maybe they wont be arseholes to you!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

clonmanc wrote: »
    i have read through this whole thing and with the exception of 1 maybe 2 people. none of you have a clue what your talking about. I worked for a charity NDCS in england to help deaf children in the uk. first of all charities do have a pre allocated budget which is spent on advertising regardless of what form. the cheapest way for them to fundraise is to have someone call around to your door and ask you to sign up. someone said it take 18 months for them to breakeven. Bullsh*t!! for every £6 donation per month 1 got £18 and they had to stay for 6months. so immediatly the charity are doubling their money. most people who complain about these jobs were rubbish at sales so quit and blamed it on the company. i worked for that charity for 1 month and made a total of about 120 pound. but i still think it was a great job it just wasnt for me. i now go door to door for my own company and am making loads of money. i am only 19 years old and without the training provided by the company i would never have had the confidence to go out and knock on a door. people seriously misunderstand canvassers after most people are just trying to make a living. i dont have a go at you because you are selling dairymilk in my local spar. its a job and get over it.

also those no canvassing signs etc. have no legal standing. they have to be worded in a very complicated way to be a legal sign.

I have had the police and the guards called on me multiple times. but never because i didnt leave a door when people say no usually i get someone seen you going door to door and thought you looked dodgy and up to no good. so to all you c**ts out there who think i look like a scumbag thanks. but when i tell the police who i am and what i am doing there they are always okay with it and let me do my job.

Ease up on people who are trying to make a living and maybe they wont be arseholes to you!!!
    Firstly, lay off on the personal abuse. It's against the rules here, as is calling people "*****".

Secondly, the above might be your personal opinion, but I don't see the point of dragging up a 5+ month old thread and not to offer some legal evidence to support your claim. It's been ages since I looked at the laws of trespass, but IIRC no trespassing signs are valid; why wouldn't this apply to door-to-door sellers, etc.?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

People don't want door-to-door sales people. Most places in the UK the police/council will have issued signs saying that there is no buying/selling/charity at the door. If people want sales people etc. they are free not to put the sign up.

I'm a sales person and have been since I was 16. I still work PT while I transition to a new role, which will still require a certain level of 'sales'. I've worked for some cowboys and some great companies. Never have I worked door to door and never would I. If you're a halfway decent sales person you don't need to resort to door-to-door jobs.

The company I work for now firstly moved it's door-to-door team in house after the huge number of complaints, then got rid of them entirely. There is a time and a place. My door is never the place. It might have been before the advent of the internet but not now.

I'm polite the first time, after that expect to be told where to go. Also expect to be told where to go if there is a sign up. Respect other people's space.

Advertisement