Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bill and Ben the Gym Men

• 24-11-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as there isn't on already on the go here, I thought it'd be an idea to start a general fitness thread for all sports/activities.

So what do you do? What gets your blood pumping?

Are you happy with your level of fitness or do you need to make improvements?

Any goals lined up that you're going to smash through?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,098 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Got into doing BJJ a few months ago. Just beginners classes twice a week in a bit to A) get fit and B) get good at it because it's an awesome sport.

Started mixing in MMA with it too. Also twice a week.

I've not made a huge amount of progress at the BJJ to be honest but i've made a couple of short term goals.

1) Turn up!! Make sure to be doing at least 3 sessions every week. I've been keeping this up well.

2) Start going to the advanced BJJ classes so I can actually get better.

I have a general idea that i'm going to try to compete in my first competition before my next birthday, which is in April.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Ok to post if female?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Stheno wrote: »
    Ok to post if female?

Well I'm a girl and I started the thread! So by all means work away :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

If I could stay injury free for more than a few weeks, I might have some hope.

Not liking this getting old malarky :mad::(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I do weightlifting and push ups 3 times a week, also do a 4 mile walk daily unless the weather is very bad.

I was a bit of a late starter to the whole fitness thing, but feel a lot better than I did 10 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Kinda happy with my level of fitness. Ran my first marathon last year, but was crippled with injuries on the day and missed my target time by over an hour. I'm determined to finish below 4 hours but know my legs need rest to recover.

I decided to quit running altogether and do something different. Decided to start strength training to build lower body strength with the mindset that it will make me less injury-prone at a slight cost of endurance. As the gym can be a little boring, I'm also playing football 1-2 times a week.

Want to give MMA/BJJ a proper go. Took a month of beginner's BJJ lessons last year and although I was terrible, I loved it, but wasn't able to commit full time. It's the type of thing that if you miss one class, it screws everything up.

Want to give MMA/BJJ a proper go. Took a month of beginner's BJJ lessons last year and although I was terrible, I loved it, but wasn't able to commit full time. It's the type of thing that if you miss one class, it screws everything up.

Yeah, that was one of my problems. Getting stuck in work late or just being lazy and not turning up. I'm rubbish at it but determined to get better. Went tonight and performed horribly. Just more motivation to turn up and get better I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Gym 3 or 4 times a week is my lot. Too old for football and its not worth the risk of getting injured when you have to go to work the next day. Still fit enough to run 5k and cycle about 15k every time I go to the gym

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I had reconstructive knee surgery in June so right now I'm just doing a little cycling and gym work on my leg and upper body. I want to get back to long distance running and cycling next year and get fit enough to do some endurance events, but it's not looking very promising at the moment. My knee keeps reacting badly to any exercises I do; my physio says my recovery is the worst he's ever seen :(

So I guess I've a lot of fitness goals. Long term; get fit. Short term; too many to list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Hoping to move gyms with a new one opening around the corner from my house & football club. Should allow me to hit the gym before breakfast most mornings or nights without having to travel very far, at the moment it's a trek across the city to one of the busiest gyms so hopefully that'll work out.

Need to get more cardio done before pre season in January too or it's likely I'll die on a cold, muddy field when the time rolls around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

I try to get my 10,000 steps everyday with the pedometer on my phone.

I completed my fifth marathon this year.

I want to compete next year and get the qualifying standard for the Boston Marathon. No intentions of actually doing that race itself but would like to attain the qualification standard for my age group in 2014. Under 3 hours 5 mins. I'll get two goes at it, Cork next June and Dublin in October.

I've been swimming (slowly) and cycling (which I'm trying to like) again in the past year. This was to complete an Ironman in September which I completed in one piece.

I plan on completing a european based Ironman in 2015, probably Frankfurt. Training this year felt like having a part time job.

Currently enjoying a break but over the next three months I plan on doing proper aerobic running base training i.e. keeping my HR under 153.

2014, will focus on 2 marathons and a Half Ironman (a distance which I find much more enjoyable and a lot less time consuming).

My OH recently introduced me to Badminton, which I am loving, we play at the weekends in the local GAA hall.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Got into doing BJJ a few months ago. Just beginners classes twice a week in a bit to A) get fit and B) get good at it because it's an awesome sport.

Started mixing in MMA with it too. Also twice a week.

I've not made a huge amount of progress at the BJJ to be honest but i've made a couple of short term goals.

1) Turn up!! Make sure to be doing at least 3 sessions every week. I've been keeping this up well.

2) Start going to the advanced BJJ classes so I can actually get better.

I have a general idea that i'm going to try to compete in my first competition before my next birthday, which is in April.

Right, so I got a pretty bad (accidental) elbow right to the jaw on Monday night in training so I skipped last night. But i'm going to head up tonight and then again tomorrow and keep up my streak of 3 nights per week.

Another goal I never spoke of was weight loss. Last year I weighed myself and saw I was 17 stone, the same weight as the UFC HW Champ at the time. It was pretty depressing. Decided i'd start walking and eating better and aimed to be 205 lbs (14 st 9) as that would make me the same weight as the LIGHT HW Champ. I hit that after a while and gave myself the long term goal of getting to the same weight as the MW Champ, which is 185 lbs (13st 3). The MW Title is being contested on Dec 28th so i've given myself the challenge to "race" the competitors to 185 lbs. I currently stand at 193lbs so it'll be a bit of a tough run in considering I have 4-5 weeks to do it but it's getting done. I've started cycling to and from work and walking on my lunch break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I find running great. It's the exercise that requires least discipline imo. Anytime I joined gyms, I spent as much time getting to and from, togging out etc as I did exercise and then fretting when I wasted or underused gym subscriptions. With running, it's free, you just throw on your gear and it starts and finishes the moment you open and close your front door so no added rigmaroles (apart from a satisfying shower after to wash off the invigorating sweat produced!!)

Using a pedometer really motivated me too as I got great satisfaction seeing the increasing distances and calories burnt the more times I ran. I regular run 10+k now whereas 3-4k was a challenge at the start! And yes, the endorphins it produces really work. I find if I'm stressed over something, it disappears during the run and I'm in a happier mood after that lasts hours. While running doesn't tone you as such, you do lose weight. While I'm fairly slim anyway, I've noticed any slight tummy excess has disappeared since running and I don't feel too guilty if I over indulge on booze/food at times as I know I will offset it with a run.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Jack Skellington

I'm finding it really tough getting to the gym with work and other hobbies etc. so I'm going to try calisthenics or bodyweight training for a while and see how I get on.

A ongarboy says above it's the whole rigmarole of the gym I'm just getting so sick of, but I love working out so hoping I can find some good info if anyone is into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I'm finding it really tough getting to the gym with work and other hobbies etc. so I'm going to try calisthenics or bodyweight training for a while and see how I get on.

A ongarboy says above it's the whole rigmarole of the gym I'm just getting so sick of, but I love working out so hoping I can find some good info if anyone is into it.
    P90x is a home workout that only requires dumbells - can be very intensive, I gave it a go when I was in college and found some of it quite tough, that said it's good to take on programs like that and discover what works for you.

Some of my current plan would have exercises used in P90x

The other thing about it is it'll get you focusing on muscle groups, Legs, Back & Shoulders, Core - they're all separate workouts.

Hoping to head to the gym tomorrow morning, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon....we'll see how that goes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

trying to get fit

gym at least twice a week and walks most days

usually do rugby refereeing this time of year but injured at mo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

Sauve wrote: »

29a.jpg

But serious ;)

Gym 4 times a week, i'd be fairly fit, but now where near as fit as i'd like to be :(

These days, it's half rip 60 style band training ( along with mobility work ) and half lifting ..

Good times..

It's all about the food tho folks....

D'Agger wrote: »
    Hoping to head to the gym tomorrow morning, Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon....we'll see how that goes!

:eek: good luck! Cool thanks I'll check that out. As the op was mentioning goals it would be my goal to get into some sort of program and still be at it a few weeks later, depends on how much I like it though.

:eek: good luck! Cool thanks I'll check that out. As the op was mentioning goals it would be my goal to get into some sort of program and still be at it a few weeks later, depends on how much I like it though.

Tbh for me anyway, if I don't have a goal (race) to work towards, all programs and regularity go out the window. The race in however many weeks/months is what keeps me turning up to training, getting up at 7am to run in the rain, and keep some sort of a check on my lifestyle in general.
    I think having a reason to get out of bed and move your ass is very important. I just wouldn't bother otherwise.
    There's also the cycle that you get into where you train hard, see improvements, which spurs you on to train harder, then you get a little bit fitter, so you want more, then before you know it you've to talk yourself into taking a day off :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Over the last couple of months I noticed I had to lower the resistance level when doing cardio. Still doing long sesions but, softer so to speak. And any strenght I had in my arms seems to be gone... but getting there.

Getting older sucks....

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shampooman

Hello! I work part time in the good old fitness industry and although I enjoy teaching classes I much rather be the person working out :) I train two or three times a day. Rather than split body building gym work that a lot of people seem to do I focus on short intense sessions. A high intense 7 minute session is much more beneficial than an hour long unstructured workout :) I like focusing on strength along with the conditioning ( I play GAA and soccer so my goal is to be the best I can in these sports! )

Some of you probably heard of stronglifts which focuses on strength which will improve your cardio. So lots of my time spent squatting deadlifting, bench, Overhead squat, front squat etc :) I'm really enjoying crossfit at the moment too... mixture of raw strength, gymnastic movements and conditioning!

Anyways my goal is to win the county for my club next year *crosses fingers and toes*

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

So I rejoined the gym on Tuesday morning after realising that my motivation to run outside early in the morning was disappearing quicker than warm weather. After 3 mornings in a row the energy levels are definitely up and already seeing an improvement in my speed on the treadmill (admittedly from a fairly low starting point). I am about 8 minutes off my last years time for 5km at the moment which is a bit scary but I hope to get better now. I screwed my heel up about a month ago by wearing old runners but now have a brand new pair with no more pain in the foot so happy days.
    Myself and the brother are doing parkrun (http://www.parkrun.ie/) every Saturday so have some motivation at least although I am way behind him at the moment, I will catch him before the end of january if it kills me

Do you do any interval training PR? I was very cynical until I started it myself, two months at it now and already there's a huge difference

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No not yet. My goal for the moment is to inrease my fitness levels (so I can do the 5K without having a coronary) and build up the strength in my legs. Once I get comfortable enough with that I may look into interval training. I need to do something and breaking my brothers knees apparently is not an option:rolleyes:.

Intervals are great, if you can plan a loop from your house you're done in no time, but apart from that they're bloody hard, I've a lot of respect for anyone who does them on a regular basis.

Intervals are great, if you can plan a loop from your house you're done in no time, but apart from that they're bloody hard, I've a lot of respect for anyone who does them on a regular basis.

I do them with a club, it's the only way I could. Thinking I could do it alone is laughable, I'm way too much of a cheat for that!

I do them with a club, it's the only way I could. Thinking I could do it alone is laughable, I'm way too much of a cheat for that!

I think I've done them maybe three times ever :o they really are a shock to your system, so you definitely need someone there to make sure you're not cutting them short

I think I've done them maybe three times ever :o they really are a shock to your system, so you definitely need someone there to make sure you're not cutting them short

Absolutely. We do it in groups of 10-12, and you have to take your turn leading the pack so there's no slacking off.
    In the beginning I genuinely dreaded it but now that I'm seeing the benefits it makes it that bit easier to keep at it.

• Advertisement

Absolutely. We do it in groups of 10-12, and you have to take your turn leading the pack so there's no slacking off.

Who do you do the training with? Did you join an athletics club for it?

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Who do you do the training with? Did you join an athletics club for it?

Yup, local athletics club.
    They cater for all abilities and aren't nearly as daunting as you'd think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Hey perv 😁 stop trying to get topless selfies off the guys . 😜

If we cant do it in the girlie section and so on and so forth 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭truebluesac

Theres plenty of cheap deals out there for gyms at the moment . Im cycling and useing the gym in work , i was swimming and scuba diving up till recently ,i studied kenpo but had to stop in feb for abit since on the recieving end of a serious assult in work , just being active and a diverse eclictic mix of sports keeps my blood pumping

Hit my first goal in the gym this morning. Think I will be able to push on a bit quicker now that I have reached a basic fitness level, although Christmas usually pushes my fitmess regime to the back seat:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭osaurus

My brother got me into the gym, was a bit of a tub of goo after a few years of just lazing with no exercise. Before I went travelling I lost about 20kg and was feeling great. Deadlift was 130kg and squats was about 110kg. Did hell & back also which was fun. I've not had a chance to get back into the gym due to silly work hours so it's fallen by the way side. Will have more time now that my schedule has relaxed so aims are to get back where I was in the gym and improve upon my lifts. Ideally I'd like to try some BJJ, it's always fascinated me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I do boxing and Muay thai. I want to get back into doing MMA but I don't have the time, I haven't been training as much as I'd like to lately so I'm making an effort to train more and get a few fights in over the next few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

I do boxing and Muay thai. I want to get back into doing MMA but I don't have the time, I haven't been training as much as I'd like to lately so I'm making an effort to train more and get a few fights in over the next few months

I miss MMA. Its one of those things I love but every little injury makes me lazy :(
    Although thats changing again now so after christmas I'll be back. Besides that its running and yoga right now. I always wanna get back mountain biking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

I miss MMA. Its one of those things I love but every little injury makes me lazy :(
    Although thats changing again now so after christmas I'll be back. Besides that its running and yoga right now. I always wanna get back mountain biking

it's just time constraints that get me I get 2-3 nights of training most weeks over the summer I was doing a lot more so I'll have to try get back into heavy training

Committed to a visit to the gym tomorrow to see what damage Christmas has done to me. It is going to be hellishfrown.png

Seems to have been a quiet thread over the Christmas so I don't think I was the only one slacking off:D

Hate January in the gym. Always crammed with good intentions.

I have done absolutely nothing over Christmas. I intentionally took Christmas off but i've done a lot of damage!

Back to work on Thursday, i'll reset over the weekend and then get back on the bike on MOnday morning to and from work and then head back to BJJ training on Monday evening. It'll be hell but i'm determined to throw myself into it in 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

Planned on going today and face the cruel scales, but due to other commitments had to call it off. Maybe tomorrow. Thursday otherwise and begin the long process of getting rid of all the christmas extra baggage...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Im scared of the scales right now :(
    I'll take a look later....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

I train in Karate, and Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, so a lot of my extra training is crafted to further my abilities in both of the arts. I also love the idea of Parkour, thus I work especially hard on my gymnastics abilities.

I also enjoyed playing basketball with my friends, but that hasn't happened in a few years now.

I'm currently working through the twenty pull up challenge, which I do three days a week.

I've a fourteen station exercise circuit that I do a few times a week to keep my cardiac fitness. It's my way of avoiding running, as I get so bored running.

I'm happy with my functional strength level, though still working on my hand stand push ups :D , if I can raise my cardio level a bit more and get a lot more flexible then I'd be really happy.

2013 was all about raising my Bujinkan abilities, so I'm making 2014 about my Karate skills.

My main goal for this year is to earn my Karate black belt in June; It's been fifteen years since I started, so it's about time I took the test.

Im scared of the scales right now :(
    I'll take a look later....

3kg up over Christmas......:( The shame of it

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    3kg up over Christmas......:( The shame of it

I'm up 2kg. Be grand, it'll be gone in two weeks tops. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,675 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'm up 2kg. Be grand, it'll be gone in two weeks tops. :p

This kinda amazes me, how did you put on 2kg over the xmas?

I managed to get to the gym today and definitely felt it. Not doing a mad one tonight so will try and do a long run tomorrow.
    Once my diet gets back to normal I should drop the weight handy enough. Back in my loose trousers for the meantime:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

4lbs up over xmas even though i went to the gym 3 times. too much chocolate and lazing on the couch. should knock it off in a few weeks

This kinda amazes me, how did you put on 2kg over the xmas?

Um, by eating more than I was burning.
    The usual way!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I also braved the scales this morning. Seems to have been the morning for it! Up 5lbs. Bit annoying but 'twill be gone as soon as I knock the wines, whiskey and cheese on the head and get back to running regularly.

• Advertisement
Advertisement