Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Bum..again.

Options
  • 22-02-2008 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

I know the topic of the UCD bum has been covered before, but I have received good information on his past and felt obliged to share with the forum. Whilst researching a paper for my elective in Art History, I somehow stumbled upon a scrapbook which appears to be the beginnings of an abandoned effort to document the lesser-known side of UCD history. The working title of the book was 'Urban Myths and College Legends: UCD's Hidden History', by a woman named Margarent Flanagan. I found this part particularly interesting. Based on an interview with Ann Waters, a former SU employee, Flanagan depicts this harrowing tale of wasted promise.

"A committed student, Benjamin scored very highly in his Leaving Cert, and came to UCD to study Economics and Finance. A bright and intelligent young man, he was well-groomed and generally maintained a sharp and presentable appearance. He was unsuccessful in his attempts to become class rep, but nonetheless endevoured to strengthen the bonds between his classmates, by taking a prominent role in the organization of class parties and trips. Well-liked by his peers, he was widely respected for his ability to juggle the stress of an active social life, outstanding academic record and a spot on the UCD U-21 Gaelic team; a quiet, yet popular, gent.
    However, according to college lore, one blustery evening in early December, Ben was entrenched in UCD Library, busily studying for a tough taxation exam less than a fortnight away. Mentally exhausted after a binge of note-taking, he wandered down to the SU shop below the library, eager for a snack and light beverage. While consuming his Capri-Sun and Snickers, a strangely-hypnotic electronic sound drenched his ear-drums in temptation. Intrigued, he turned towards the brightly coloured machine from whence this noise was flowing. 'Pocket Money' it read; surrounding its title, an array of snooker parafonalia. '1 CREDIT - €1' it read. Never one to be sucked in by a fad, Ben dismissed it as folly. But he could not turn away. Its bright lights and unassuming manner transfixed him. 'Why not?', he thought. He rummaged through his jeans pockets, and his hand emerged clutching a €1 coin. He placed it into coin slot and began playing. It was the beginning of the end for poor Benjamin.
    The premise of Pocket Money is quite simple. The player takes on the role of a snooker player. He is presented with a gold dial to choose his direction, and a 'shoot' button, to be pressed at precisely the moment at which the on-screen power dial has reached the required level. The player is also presented with a handful of blue balls on the table; the aim is to pot as many of these as possible. The more difficult it is to pot, the more money the shot is worth. One must amass as much money as possible in a minute and a half. Success grants access to level two, where you carry over your previous pot and are offered the oppurtunity to increase it. In addition, one must avoid hitting or potting the dreaded 'skull ball' (doing so empties your kitty or 'purse), and try to pot the covetted yellow 'double' ball (which, as one might expect, doubles your purse). Once your time runs out, you are moved on to the bonus round, where the aim is to land the white ball on de-marcated areas on a snooker table, each one carrying different rewards from €1 to €5, and one area rewards the player with the value of the purse they have hitherto amassed.
    One game and Ben was hooked. He would repeatedly insert euro after euro after euro into the machine; occasionally an audience gathered, but in general he lost his money in solitude. Friends began to notice a marked deterioration in Benjamin, from his grades to his social life. 6 months passed and his addiction grew steadily worse. The legend goes that the SU even tried to have the machine removed, but couldn't, due to legal constraints. Ben's parents would frequently go up to 3 days without seeing him; Ben had an arrangement with the janitor that he could stay in the library basement overnight, playing the game. He would return home sporadically, merely to bath and eat, and sometimes change his clothes. He financed the operation through occasional wins and, more importantly, a substantial inheritance from a deceased great aunt. Within 3 years Benjamin was no longer a student; he couldn't remember the faces of his family or friends (who had long since graduated), recognising instead the faces of library regulars, who came and went regularly, but almost always passed a disgusted look or a whispered comment regarding his increasingly dishevelled appearance.
    As the situation worsened, he realised he was on his own. He now claims squatters rights in the college, who have tried and failed repeatedly to remove him. It is believed that the authorities have accepteed that he is there for good, and so they leave him to wander the campus, wondering what could have been, his mind warped by the twisted world of Pocket Money. Despite his withered appearance, he is only 28 years of age; his wrinkled brow and greying hair possess a wisdom far beyond his tender years. If you're lucky, you may see him cast a sorrowful glance in the direction of the machine, and the music and sound effects will fill his senses, and he will once more think back on his wasted youth. Spare a thought for old Ben, and use this tale as a lesson in self-control and the importance of moderation in all its forms."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I can hosently say thats that the most interesting piece of crap ive ever read

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

What else is in that book?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,021 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sounds plausible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

I can believe it. I have a close relationship with the coffee machine in the
    library basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

im banned from the library after my evening of passion with the photocopiers. It was a Grimes Sandwich

If my mate could do any machine in the college it would have to be the .... the control room of the AVC. Busty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Ah I hope that's not true. It's so sad! I much prefer the story about him saving some girl that was getting attacked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

lol to this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭p-nut

haha, no offence, but is that a pisstake? interesting story all the same, must be worth some sorta prize in a short story competition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PennyLane

Aww, it's endearing that anyone doesn't immediately disbelieve the story outright. "Highly doubt"...so cute....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Lol.
    Complete bs of course.
    The UCD bum is as old as time.
    Well, he has been there for years as I used to see him on my visits to UCD as a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

"A committed student, Benjamin scored very highly in his Leaving Cert, and came to UCD to study Economics and Finance. A bright and intelligent young man, he was well-groomed and generally maintained a sharp and presentable appearance. He was unsuccessful in his attempts to become class rep, but nonetheless endevoured to strengthen the bonds between his classmates, by taking a prominent role in the organization of class parties and trips. Well-liked by his peers, he was widely respected for his ability to juggle the stress of an active social life, outstanding academic record and a spot on the UCD U-21 Gaelic team; a quiet, yet popular, gent.
    However, according to college lore, one blustery evening in early December, Ben was entrenched in UCD Library, busily studying for a tough taxation exam less than a fortnight away. Mentally exhausted after a binge of note-taking, he wandered down to the SU shop below the library, eager for a snack and light beverage. While consuming his Capri-Sun and Snickers, a strangely-hypnotic electronic sound drenched his ear-drums in temptation. Intrigued, he turned towards the brightly coloured machine from whence this noise was flowing. 'Pocket Money' it read; surrounding its title, an array of snooker parafonalia. '1 CREDIT - €1' it read. Never one to be sucked in by a fad, Ben dismissed it as folly. But he could not turn away. Its bright lights and unassuming manner transfixed him. 'Why not?', he thought. He rummaged through his jeans pockets, and his hand emerged clutching a €1 coin. He placed it into coin slot and began playing. It was the beginning of the end for poor Benjamin.
    The premise of Pocket Money is quite simple. The player takes on the role of a snooker player. He is presented with a gold dial to choose his direction, and a 'shoot' button, to be pressed at precisely the moment at which the on-screen power dial has reached the required level. The player is also presented with a handful of blue balls on the table; the aim is to pot as many of these as possible. The more difficult it is to pot, the more money the shot is worth. One must amass as much money as possible in a minute and a half. Success grants access to level two, where you carry over your previous pot and are offered the oppurtunity to increase it. In addition, one must avoid hitting or potting the dreaded 'skull ball' (doing so empties your kitty or 'purse), and try to pot the covetted yellow 'double' ball (which, as one might expect, doubles your purse). Once your time runs out, you are moved on to the bonus round, where the aim is to land the white ball on de-marcated areas on a snooker table, each one carrying different rewards from €1 to €5, and one area rewards the player with the value of the purse they have hitherto amassed.
    One game and Ben was hooked. He would repeatedly insert euro after euro after euro into the machine; occasionally an audience gathered, but in general he lost his money in solitude. Friends began to notice a marked deterioration in Benjamin, from his grades to his social life. 6 months passed and his addiction grew steadily worse. The legend goes that the SU even tried to have the machine removed, but couldn't, due to legal constraints. Ben's parents would frequently go up to 3 days without seeing him; Ben had an arrangement with the janitor that he could stay in the library basement overnight, playing the game. He would return home sporadically, merely to bath and eat, and sometimes change his clothes. He financed the operation through occasional wins and, more importantly, a substantial inheritance from a deceased great aunt. Within 3 years Benjamin was no longer a student; he couldn't remember the faces of his family or friends (who had long since graduated), recognising instead the faces of library regulars, who came and went regularly, but almost always passed a disgusted look or a whispered comment regarding his increasingly dishevelled appearance.
    As the situation worsened, he realised he was on his own. He now claims squatters rights in the college, who have tried and failed repeatedly to remove him. It is believed that the authorities have accepteed that he is there for good, and so they leave him to wander the campus, wondering what could have been, his mind warped by the twisted world of Pocket Money. Despite his withered appearance, he is only 28 years of age; his wrinkled brow and greying hair possess a wisdom far beyond his tender years. If you're lucky, you may see him cast a sorrowful glance in the direction of the machine, and the music and sound effects will fill his senses, and he will once more think back on his wasted youth. Spare a thought for old Ben, and use this tale as a lesson in self-control and the importance of moderation in all its forms."

100% true story, fact!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 felletor

I have also seen that book, a very interesting story. I have this to say to any doubters, ask the bum himself to tell you his story and you will soon realise that it is infact 100% true. Also stripypjs it could be worth trying to put some other stories from the book up?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭annemarie13

that guy is so older than 28 lol.i see him around alot he seems nice.there was a piano along the side of the libary buliding, near the atm, and my friend was going to tramoplining in the evening and he frightned her by playing the piano lol he play din din din-u no the tune i cant spell it. scared the crap out of her though lol

that story is not true!
    but emm wats that story about him saving a girl from a attack??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

I always see him in the physics building, ground floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Stokes

Surely 'Snickers' was still known as 'Marathon' bars back in those days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

The broad gist of the account is probably true but I think the details have being exaggerated as they would have been over time through second and third hand sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭stolenwine

Trinity had "a bum" who went to lectures ours plays din-din-din on the piano :D

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

When was the story supposedly written?? It sounds like the book might be a bit old at this stage??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭BlackMamba

I've seen him in lectures before. He's a learnt bum!:D
    Also seen him around the arts block, the restaurant and Merville. He scared the crap outta me one night when I was in Merville!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

That story can't be too old as Economics and Finance was only brought in as a degree about 10 years ago, which would make him 28 max, which is what is said there. But he's not 28.

It's a made up story folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Pythia wrote: »
    That story can't be too old as Economics and Finance was only brought in as a degree about 10 years ago, which would make him 28 max, which is what is said there. But he's not 28.

It's a made up story folks!

Yes and the fact that the story mentions the euro instead of pounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Hero Of College

100% true story, fact!

Yeah right up there with the one about the homeless guy who hangs around the college bumming sandwiches and......hey wait a minute!!!!!:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stripedpyjamas

Just to clarify a few things:

Tis story is based on a secondary account, and therefore it is impossible to verify the various nuances of its detail, but, broudly speaking, the jist of the story is true. Ben's age and course are certainly true, and that rubbish about euro and punt is just splitting hairs. I'm a bit bogged down at the moment, but I am going to try and post some more extracts from this book, including a little bit about a very uncelebrated member of the restaurant staff.

Also, Merville apartments are named after the UCD Bum, his middle name is Merville.

I would also like to clarify that the Bum does NOT have a magnetic tail, á la the beast of craggy island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

Just to clarify a few things:

Tis story is based on a secondary account, and therefore it is impossible to verify the various nuances of its detail, but, broudly speaking, the jist of the story is true. Ben's age and course are certainly true, and that rubbish about euro and punt is just splitting hairs. I'm a bit bogged down at the moment, but I am going to try and post some more extracts from this book, including a little bit about a very uncelebrated member of the restaurant staff.

Also, Merville apartments are named after the UCD Bum, his middle name is Merville.

I would also like to clarify that the Bum does NOT have a magnetic tail, á la the beast of craggy island.

I dont give a sh1t what you say. That guy is not 28. When I started in UCD 8 years ago he was there and he looked exactly the same then as now. Are you telling me he was 20 back then? Complete and utter horsesh1t. The man is at least 60. At LEAST. The gist may well be true but he IS NOT in his twenties. If you believe he is you've been smoking to much dope down merville way.

Dude, chillax. Clearly they are merely trying to ensnare the gullible and irritate the short-fused. Just sit back and relax, secure in the knowledge that they're full of dog feces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭AlphaMale 3OO

PennyLane wrote: »
    Dude, chillax. Clearly they are merely trying to ensnare the gullible and irritate the short-fused. Just sit back and relax, secure in the knowledge that they're full of dog feces.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055235706&highlight=dude

Naw, dude, it's cool: I'm an American. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 stripedpyjamas

forbesii wrote: »
    I dont give a sh1t what you say. That guy is not 28. When I started in UCD 8 years ago he was there and he looked exactly the same then as now. Are you telling me he was 20 back then? Complete and utter horsesh1t. The man is at least 60. At LEAST. The gist may well be true but he IS NOT in his twenties. If you believe he is you've been smoking to much dope down merville way.

Probably one of the most ridiculous posts I've seen on this site in my short time here. You are defying overhwhelming evidence and historical sources, which are reliable, and you haven't a leg to stand on. You ahve no back-up for anything you have said in that post. And as for his age, don't judge a book by its cover, I know FOR A FACT that he is in his late twenties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

This entire thread is complete bullsh*t.

But it's very very good bullsh*t...:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Pertive

forbesii wrote: »

Dude you have some serious issues, i've your only input is to try and disprove authentic evidance then i'm not sure you should post here anymore. Why don't you direct your anger towards helping define th unclear parts of this story and stop calling it **** which you know its clearly not.

Advertisement